Steam

Started by savaze, September 18, 2013, 03:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypolite

Quote from: Yarkista on September 30, 2013, 04:04:48 PMHuh, jelly? ;)
Nope, just an unhealthy taste for precision in facts. If it was a french board, I would be all over people making language mistakes. ;)

Yarkista

Quote from: Hypolite on September 30, 2013, 04:10:37 PM
Quote from: Yarkista on September 30, 2013, 04:04:48 PMHuh, jelly? ;)
Nope, just an unhealthy taste for precision in facts. If it was a french board, I would be all over people making language mistakes. ;)

Vu le vu ah se en om wah?

My french is impeccable.

Hypolite

I can't even.

And the off-topic stops here. Steam or stream.

Jakadasnake

Heyooo! I browse he greenlight and early access categories on Steam a LOT. There's always that hope you might find a hidden gem somewhere and if you're lucky, not many have caught on yet. Curiously enough, though, you're never first to the punch. In fact mostly never since so many people do the same thing. So yeah. To some margin, this game making it to Steam's early access should absolutely result in a good amount of attention for this game. Haters gonna hate, but the way I see it is that Steam has a mutually beneficial relationship with those developers. Especially the self-publishing ones.

enystrom8734

Indeed, Steam is a good push. A ton of gamers use Steam. It is a fact that Steam exposes out a lot of indie games with greenlight and the early access program. The cost to a developer to go the Steam route is minimal compared to throwing together their own marketing campaign and wasting time posting as many places as possible where there is potential for their postings to get buried.

Desura is also a good option. It always has the new alpha-funding games section (which I use to browse before I needed to start saving money). I found a ton of sweet games through that as well.
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

garg1

while steam is the topic:
what about SteamOS? Unity supports Linux, may SteamOS(which is based on Linux afaik) be an option in future?
...allways an egg.

Yarkista

Quote from: garg1 on October 03, 2013, 05:25:33 PM
what about SteamOS? Unity supports Linux, may SteamOS(which is based on Linux afaik) be an option in future?

He likely has no idea at the moment, i suspect we'll have wait a bit longer till it's ported to steamOS

Tynan

Quote from: Yarkista on October 03, 2013, 05:45:38 PM

He likely has no idea at the moment, i suspect we'll have wait a bit longer till it's ported to steamOS

Yes I'm utterly clueless.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Hypolite

Quote from: Tynan on October 03, 2013, 06:28:57 PMYes I'm utterly clueless.

There, there. *pat on back*

GC13

I'd hope that anything that works on Linux works just fine on SteamOS.

Not that it matters much to me, anyway. All I'm gonna use early SteamOS for is to stream. Since game support is such a high priority for SteamOS, I'm sure it will only get easier to run games on it as they develop it.

British

My hope is that Valve collapses and everything related to Steam dies in a horrible and painful fashion...
Also, having Steam, which is all about control in a self-contained environment, on Linux, which is the epitome of openness, makes me cry tears of blood.

But yeah, that's just me.
And yes, I have to vent once in a while, more so when I see people going all mushy about Steam :-[

Mansen

SteamOS will just be another Linux distro - So basically if it'll run on Linux, it is SteamOS compatible. It's all about making the game Controller compatible if you want to make it a "proper" SOS title though. :)

Yarkista

Quote from: British on October 04, 2013, 04:33:41 AM
My hope is that Valve collapses and everything related to Steam dies in a horrible and painful fashion...
Also, having Steam, which is all about control in a self-contained environment, on Linux, which is the epitome of openness, makes me cry tears of blood.

And yes, I have to vent once in a while, more so when I see people going all mushy about Steam :-[

D':

Damn man, you realy hate steam hah ;)

Semmy

Quote from: Yarkista on October 04, 2013, 10:28:38 AM

D':

wow what a hatred of steam indeed d-;

I on the other hand think its one of the most awsome sites ever.
I buy my stuff from keysites and add it on steam. I can now play wherever and whenever i want.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Yarkista

Quote from: Semmy on October 04, 2013, 11:20:31 AM
Quote from: Yarkista on October 04, 2013, 10:28:38 AM

D':

wow what a hatred of steam indeed d-;

I on the other hand think its one of the most awsome sites ever.
I buy my stuff from keysites and add it on steam. I can now play wherever and whenever i want.

Just to play devils advocate here, what if steam for whatever reason goes offline permanantly, what will happen to all your games?