Steam

Started by savaze, September 18, 2013, 03:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savaze

Will Rimworld be on steam?

Tynan

I'll definitely try my hardest to make that happen.

Greenlight is likely, which will mean community voting, which will mean I'll ask you guys to go and vote! It's not up yet, though.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mori

Zero doubt you will pass.

Hypolite

The question with Greenlight is usually not if a game will pass or not if it's reasonably backed, but when will it pass. Valve is very clear about your current ranking, backing-wise, but it's a little more foggy about when the next batch will be published, and what games will be included in. I'm hoping the best for Rimworld, though, and I'll be sure to back it when it will be available on Greenlight :)

The Ataraxist

This screenshot made me go digging for a greenlight, which ofcourse doesnt exist yet... :(

What does greenlighting do, other than more attention from the community?

Tynan

It's just Valve's way of filtering people trying to get on steam. It gets you on steam, that's it.

Yarkista

The thing with greenlight is that it usually takes a small campaign to get pushed into the top 50 which can take up a lot of the developers' time, especially if it is a one man team, as is the current situation.

British

Quote from: Tynan on September 18, 2013, 03:11:43 PM
Can we hope to have it available *out* of Steam as well (ideally GoG, but just about anything else, really) ?

Yarkista

Quote from: Brtt on September 20, 2013, 05:09:13 AM
Quote from: Tynan on September 18, 2013, 03:11:43 PM
Can we hope to have it available *out* of Steam as well (ideally GoG, but just about anything else, really) ?

Not a fan of steam?

British

What gave me out ? ::)

I really don't care about Steam existing, but what really irks me are the "exclusivities".
If I don't want to use a system, I surely don't want to be forced to use it either...
So it's very sad when I find a promising title, and it's not available out of Steam (or Origin, for that matter, but Steam has been there much longer): it ultimately means no money for the devs even though I'd love to shower them with it (don't go crazy, that's a figure of speech).

Tynan

Don't worry, Steam generally doesn't ask for exclusivity so I'll almost certainly sell the game through other channels (including straight download off ludeon.com).

British

The problem is not as much Steam asking consistently for exclusivity (doubtful for indie productions anyway, I'd wager) than devs not bothering with anything else, I suppose.

Anyway, you made my day, so I'm preparing the operation so I can have your babies.
(just in case: figure of speech yet again, sorry folks :P)

Tynan

Steam takes a cut; I'd actually rather just sell it myself. But Steam also provides access to a huge number of customers, and a lot of people like the ease with which it allows you to manage your games. It's really for those reasons that I'll work to get on Steam.

British

As I mentionned earlier, did you consider GoG as well ?

It does have some visibility, and I'm sure I'm not the only one only swearing by it...

xTAMERx

you should also bid your game at Desura