Epic conservation of mass failure

Started by Shurp, April 19, 2018, 11:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

So I was looking for something for my pawns to do during the winter, and came up with the idea of making sculptures from blocks to sell.  I then started wondering about how difficult they would be to haul overland, and this is when I discovered something shocking.

Mass of small sculpture: 5 kg
Mass of 70 stone blocks: 87.5kg

???!!!

So if you want to transport a lot of blocks... say, to build walls with at your new base... first pack them into a sculpture wormhole, then carry them off, then deconstruct at your destination.  Even with the deconstruct penalty you'll still have far more than if you just carried them straight!!!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Nameless

but like, colonist can carry 75 blocks at once or something?

Probably would be good to make a large one and do that.

Jibbles

ha I guess mass was changed and haven't noticed that one yet.  Should start selling sculptures again.
Seems like a lot of work but may not be a bad idea.  You'll probably lose around 25 blocks when you deconstruct a small one but that's just guessing.

Shurp

Not even.  Only 17.  So a colonist carrying 6 small sculptures can dump 318 blocks of stone into your new colony.

As for trading value, well, stone is plentiful, and you can crank out blocks and sculptures faster than cotton on a desert map.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

khun_poo

Interesting idea !

Does it work with unfinished sculpture too?  (The bulky things)

Shurp

Nope.  Unfinished small sculpture has a mass of 88.5 kg.  Don't try hauling that around.

It's only on completion that 95% of it gets shoved into the wormhole!

Canute

Since people mention this, i bet at the next release sculptures don't give 75% of their resources anymore, since their weight got reduced to be a tradegood lately.