A Copycat game called “Keplerth” on steam

Started by kyzy_4399, April 20, 2018, 09:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyzy_4399

Hey guys, I just found a "SAME" game on steam called Keplerth, that has bout 99.8% similar art style, 99.9% similar system design with Rimwolrd. Does anyone know is that matters? I actually feel really angry about this game because it just paste everything rimwolrd has to their game, what a shame.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/747200/Keplerth/

Bozobub

It's NOT identical; in fact, it has some features I'd like to see in RimWorld, to be frank.  Very similar?  Sure.  But RimWorld also has some strong similarities to other games, such as Dwarf Fortress and Gnomoria (minus the Z-levels).

It is what it is.  From the look of it — I haven't actually played the game — There isn't much Ludeon could do about it, beyond an expensive (and NOT guaranteed) legal battle.  Honestly, more competition in the "colony sim" genre is a good thing, in my opinion.
Thanks, belgord!

Jaxxa

Did you watch the trailer or just read the description and look at the screenshots?

I does not really come out well in the Description but from the trailer you are directly controlling a single character, so the game play does not look very similar to Rimworld.

cultist

While not identical, the game looks VERY similar to Rimworld. Some of the text in the description is also worded in a very similar way to Rimworld's.
The problem here is that it's walking a very thin line. It's not unfair to assume that this game is going to confuse some people and make them think it's a game by the same developer or in the same series. I'm guessing it's a mobile app developer. In that market, it's pretty much the standard to copy something popular and pass it off as your own.

There are different ideas in this game, and since I haven't played it I can't say how similar it is to Rimworld. But the way the Steam page is set up (screenshots, game's logo, wording of the description) makes it look like he's trying to trick people into buying his game when they think they're getting Rimworld.

I don't think this game is actually much like Rimworld. I think it's a mediocre game that they're trying to sell by associating it with something more popular.

Nameless

It looks more like terraria x rimworld to me.

IHateRegistering

It's not even a colony management sim. I don't know what drugs you take but I want some

Jibbles

Quote from: cultist on April 21, 2018, 06:31:00 AM
But the way the Steam page is set up (screenshots, game's logo, wording of the description) makes it look like he's trying to trick people into buying his game when they think they're getting Rimworld.

I don't think this game is actually much like Rimworld. I think it's a mediocre game that they're trying to sell by associating it with something more popular.

I don't see how they're trying to mislead people into thinking that it's associated with rimworld.  Expect this kind of art style to get more popular since it's easier to do then others, plus we're saturated with pixel art indie games.  I also anticipate more top down games since there's so much potential that hasn't been tapped in yet.  At some point there will come a game where it's pretty much like Rimworld, and to be honest I welcome it as long as they're not stealing code/assets.  I'm still waiting for a FTL clone.

Razzoriel

You mean, you all are saturated of this:

And not of this:

There's a big difference here. It's like saying "we're saturated of 3d", when there's shit 3d and good 3d.

Bozobub

Quote from: Jibbles on April 21, 2018, 04:59:27 PMAt some point there will come a game where it's pretty much like Rimworld, and to be honest I welcome it as long as they're not stealing code/assets.  I'm still waiting for a FTL clone.
You may enjoy the remake of Space Rangers 2, I think, called "Space Rangers HD: A War Apart" if you haven't tried it yet.  There's an option to play the game as a roguelike =).
Thanks, belgord!

Call me Arty

"Hey, can I get Rimworld, but with more Chinese Mobile Game in it please?"
"I see you found the 'secret menu' online, huh? Alright, one Keplerth coming right-up."

I definitely see that it took a massive bite off of the Rimworld apple, but it looks like it's taking the Starbound approach to Terraria. Early days, you could call it a clone, but now they've both developed beyond the Coke-and-Pepsi relationship they previously had. I play both for very different reasons. I think Keplerth has some merit, and I hope that it continues into this Don't Starve + Rimworld + Realm of the Mad God (which - holy shit - is still being updated!) direction it's heading, while Rimworld continues on it's Dwarf Fortress + Prison Architect + FTL direction it's going on. Best case scenario, Tynan has the same spiteful bone I have and feels the need to beat it to the punch, with this own new playable races and - while not strictly speaking Z levels - zones and layers to the map. As Bozobub mentioned, a bit of competition could be better than nothing. If it completely shadows Rimworld (which it won't, like how The Witcher didn't kill Skyrim)? Well, we have a better game to play.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

hunter2012

this looks like DF adventure mode in rimworld im mean its about controling an individual in an rpg sense there ripping more off of minecraft then anything

Klitri

It's such a rip off of Rimworld it's not even funny.. You can't compare Gnormia or whatever and DF to Rimworld. Rimworld is one of the first of its kind, and this little "Kleperth" crap even uses the same map generator.

Disgusting.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Klitri on April 24, 2018, 08:42:16 AM
It's such a rip off of Rimworld it's not even funny.. You can't compare Gnormia or whatever and DF to Rimworld. Rimworld is one of the first of its kind, and this little "Kleperth" crap even uses the same map generator.

Disgusting.

From the store page for Rimworld
QuoteRimWorld is a sci-fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller. Inspired by Dwarf Fortress, Firefly, and Dune.

Also, you're right. There is absoulutely nothing in common between four games in which you are in control of a group of people (exceptions to DF adventure mode and Keplerth) in an uncaring world, while managing their health, food, and other needs, in addition to fighting off fantastical beasts in a grid-based world. Nope, nothing in common there.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Mehni

I watched someone who mainly plays RimWorld stream this game. Calling it a rip-off of any one game is a knee-jerk reaction and utter nonsense.

Some of the assets are similar to RimWorld, much like how RimWorld has a similar graphic style to Prison Architect. Some of the music is similar. The gameplay is very different.
- The goal and general gameplay remind me of Terraria/Gnomoria/Starbound.
- The dungeon combat reminded me of Stardew Valley.
- The crafting reminded me of [insert generic crafting game here.]

Inspired by? Maybe. A rip-off? Definitely not. It's something else: It's a cute and fun game that can stand on its own.

gipothegip

I'll agree that the artwork is rather similar, so is the perspective.

I don't know enough about the game to make a judgement call, but a quick look at the description and reviews, and I think this is a different concept from Rimworld.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?