A Copycat game called “Keplerth” on steam

Started by kyzy_4399, April 20, 2018, 09:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listen1

Nah, it's not a copycat by any means.

That is the game industry. Not all work is original, not all ideas come from the author, and that is fine. "Why are so many games similar?" well, sometimes it is a good thing.

Let's talk about a game called "Rogue", if this game didn't allow "copycats" we wouldn't have a genre called Rogue-like that manly translate to "a difficult game with semi-random generated content on each level" This games genre brought forth excellent games, like Spelunky, FTL, Hands of Fate, Darkest Dungeon, Rogue Legacy, Don't Starve, Rimworld (kinda), and many many more.

To bestten what has been created thus far, is an admirable gol for a game studio in 2018.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Listen1 on April 25, 2018, 07:08:48 AM
. . .
This games genre brought forth excellent games, like Spelunky, FTL, Hands of Fate, Darkest Dungeon, Rogue Legacy, Don't Starve, Rimworld (kinda), and many many more.
. . .

Sorry to be that guy but Don't Starve and Rimworld aren't Roguelikes. It's really hard to define, but it's a very specific genre. Rimworld does not meet the criteria, as changes to the Rimworld don't affect any other Rim (same for Don't Starve: You're not going to find your camp on another continent). There are a couple other tangential things to highlight, but this isn't a Rogue-like discussion thread, so I'll hold-off.
-Guy who really likes Rogue-likes/lites.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Listen1

Quote from: Call me Arty on April 25, 2018, 10:35:34 AM
. . .
This games genre brought forth excellent games, like Spelunky, FTL, Hands of Fate, Darkest Dungeon, Rogue Legacy, Don't Starve, Rimworld (kinda), and many many more.
. . .
Sorry to be that guy but Don't Starve and Rimworld aren't Roguelikes...

Yeah, the (kinda) was because of these two games. The definition of rogue-like is thrown alot, and it is really hard to pinpoint what it exactly is (except game that are Like-Rogue). But I use the version of Mark Brown from GMTK that says "Roguelike can be boiled down to Procedural generation and Permadeath" and with that, you can put this characteristics in many genres and it will improve the experience.

I like to think about it this way.

Ramsis

I really don't understand the more hate filled side of this topic? Are people not aware that RimWorld doesn't have some direct claim over similar genres, art directions, sound efforts, etc? Unless someone is misusing the RimWorld name or any of its direct assets I can't fathom there being any sort of issue. Welcome titles that you feel might be a tiny bit similar, don't just shirk them and be disrespectful. I actually bought a copy of this game after reading this thread so lets see how this plays out! :)
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Call me Arty

Quote from: Ramsis on April 26, 2018, 01:48:09 PM
I actually bought a copy of this game after reading this thread so lets see how this plays out! :)

Day 5, my player character was attacked by several rabbits who went mad for no discernible reason. I have lost three toes, one arm, and a lung. After that, they became infected and died in extreme pain, as there was no-one to administer anesthetic for the surgery. I still don't see why you guys are comparing this to Rimworld. /s
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

Ramsis

Hah thanks Arty, no honestly I enjoy the game for what it is. Little rough around the edges but find me an early access title that isn't. Its just another survival building game with very small rpg elements to it, game might go somewhere in the next year but for now I feel like I got my initial investment after about an hour or so of playing.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Call me Arty

Quote from: Ramsis on April 26, 2018, 03:21:07 PM
. . . might go somewhere in the next year but for now I feel like I got my initial investment after about an hour or so of playing.

Ah, Heat Signature syndrome, got it. (Cool concept, but once you've boarded one ship, you've boarded them all).

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Ramsis on April 26, 2018, 01:48:09 PMI actually bought a copy of this game after reading this thread so lets see how this plays out! :)

I didn't go that far, but I did put it on my Wishlist and Follow list on Steam. Looks interesting enough to keep an eye on it for sure!

Names are for the Weak

Quote from: Call me Arty on April 25, 2018, 10:35:34 AM
. . .
. . .

Sorry to be that guy but Don't Starve and Rimworld aren't Roguelikes. It's really hard to define, but it's a very specific genre. Rimworld does not meet the criteria, as changes to the Rimworld don't affect any other Rim (same for Don't Starve: You're not going to find your camp on another continent). There are a couple other tangential things to highlight, but this isn't a Rogue-like discussion thread, so I'll hold-off.
-Guy who really likes Rogue-likes/lites.
I would argue that Don't Starve can be technically classified as a roguelike, though I do admit that it stretches the definition. I think that a roguelike not only has permadeath and procedural generation, but also a specific end that you're trying to achieve, rather than go on forever. And Don't Starve does have a story with an ending. There's also a meta-progression system in place, which most other modern roguelikes have.

RyanRim

Just noticed that came on Steam, and really got me enraged. Not by the fact that its a knock-off, by far RimWorld will stay as the most popular title in this war, but the fact that countless sprites and textures have basically been stolen from RimWorld. Now it's really sad to see when someone who has made mods or was some other kind of insider for Rimworld, decided to make profit from it. While we acknowledge what games has Rimworld rooted from, this Chinese unidentified developer doesn't even bother to give credit of where he got those ideas.

Its a question of views.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: RyanRim on April 29, 2018, 06:15:25 AM
Just noticed that came on Steam, and really got me enraged. Not by the fact that its a knock-off, by far RimWorld will stay as the most popular title in this war, but the fact that countless sprites and textures have basically been stolen from RimWorld. Now it's really sad to see when someone who has made mods or was some other kind of insider for Rimworld, decided to make profit from it. While we acknowledge what games has Rimworld rooted from, this Chinese unidentified developer doesn't even bother to give credit of where he got those ideas.

Its a question of views.

I doubt any of that is true. If you look up a few posts you'll see the admin of these boards purchased the game and played it. He didn't seem to think anything bad was going on.

corestandeven

The artwork certainly is very similar to Rimworld, but after looking at the trailers and reading some early steam reviews it seems quite different on many things but the visual style. However, even if it were similar I wouldn't mind. Why? This statement will undoubtedly ruffle feathers but I think developer interest in Rimworld is dying.  If it is were to be similar to Rimworld then all the better, Kerplerth at least has fresh new life in it and dev activity/interest.

Why do I think dev interest Rimworld is dying? New mod content of course is continuing (and thank god it is), but I've been noticing less and less dev interest in the game for many months now. Even before the last announcement back in January that the game would be made 1.0 the developer (and player) activity on this forum has been waning. The devs hardly announce anything on the forums or want to discuss new ideas. Equally the changes/added content from version A17 to B18 were hardly ground breaking, and I think I read somewhere that the move to final version 1.0 would also not add content.   

Tynan and the other devs may well be busy providing updates on reditt and twitter as they have done before, I don't know, but on the game's dedicated forum it is like a ghost town.  If I were buying Rimworld today as a new customer I'd be pretty disheartened joining the game's dedicated forum and seeing how little is going on. I certainly expect interest to drop after version 1.0 has been out a while, but not before.

I don't necessarily blame the devs for having a lack of interest. This game has been in development for over 4 years and they probably do want to move on and do new things, which I understand. However for me as a player this saddens me, as they have a really great base game and so much more they can add. If a similar looking game like Kerplerth has recently come out, and has attracted quite a lot of new players in the process, then it does seem to indicate players are still interested in this format of game. The devs you think would capitalize on this interest in order to drum up more sales and promote the game, but instead just seem happy being silent and letting the modders carry their game forward, again suggesting to me they have a lack of interest. Shame, as this was honestly one the best games I've played in years and I'm sad to see it fizzle out.

Keplerth may be similar, and it may unashamedly borrow some art, content and (maybe) even ideas, but at £8 I'm happy to try this given that the interest in Rimworld is drying up.

Bozobub

I think you are merely disillusioned by the transition to "finished product".  As any game transitions from Alpha to Beta to Release, updates inevitably occur less and less often.  Does that mean development has *stopped*?  Not even close, but there are fewer bugs and fewer *major* mechanics changes, as time goes by.  But the game is now considered largely "feature-complete", and any changes will, of necessity, largely be relatively minor; you don't destroy the entire framework of a mostly complete game for shits and grins.  This will last for an indeterminate period of time =).

Literally any game you care to mention, you'll find this was/is the case.  Relax.  Tynan IS still active, on Reddit and elsewhere.  Your mountain is the abode of moles, Sir/Madam.
Thanks, belgord!

Brovahkii

Let me stop you all (and future repliers) right in your tracks.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/747200/discussions/0/1698294337772121774/

TARO has already explained that the artstyle RimWorld used is far simpler for them to build off of considering there's only 3 people to their team. That said, very [few] things look similar to RimWorld. Yes, pawn and NPC design/movements look similar and rock blocks look similar, but that's where it ends. It plays far differently than RimWorld in that you control [ONE] pawn personally (you even have attack animations) and do everything yourself. This plays close to Forsaken Isle more than anything else with a fairly similar look to RimWorld. Let's also not forget about RimWorld's inspirations so calling Keplerth a copy-cat or a rip-off is highly illogical and senseless in the entirety of their definitions.  RimWorld was [not] the first to use this artstyle (nor will they obviously be the last) and Ludeon does not have a monopoly on the texture design.

Again, it's a stepping stone to make things easier on TARO given their 3-man team as they've already been transparent about. I also don't want to hear about more complex games looking "different" or "better" being developed by one person. TARO likes this style. It works for their vision. They even plan to include MP down the line and as we all know, 3/4 of RimWorld's playerbase wants that featurette that they're not going to get. So, a game that looks relatively close to RimWorld but with MP? You can see where I'm going with this.

Calm down and let TARO do their thing.
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

saulysw

Didn't  Rimworld get its art from Prison Architect anyway? So... Rimworld is already a copy. I think they did some commercial arrangement, but you get my point. This game may has done the same thing.