A Copycat game called “Keplerth” on steam

Started by kyzy_4399, April 20, 2018, 09:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: saulysw on May 02, 2018, 10:33:44 PM
Didn't  Rimworld get its art from Prison Architect anyway? So... Rimworld is already a copy. I think they did some commercial arrangement, but you get my point. This game may has done the same thing.

Rimworld used the same style as PA, not the actual art.

Kaitykatedn13

I agree with you that that game is totally like Rimworld. Non creative and boring.

sadpickle

So bizarre to see a bunch of people dumping on a random EA game on Steam because of superficial similarities to Rimworld. Is this some sort of tribalism? Camp Rimworld? Chill out.

It's aesthetic may be, probably is inspired by Rimworld, but that's not the same as plagiarism. And it's clearly not the same game; it's an RPG, not a colony management sim.

kenmtraveller

I remember when DOOM came out, and then there were other first person shooters.  Should Id have had a monopoly on first person shooters?
Rimworld didn't even originate it's art style, and Rimworld itself is a synthesis of other games (Dwarf, Fortress, Prison Architect, probably some others I'm unaware of).  But, that doesn't matter, because a great game is always better than the sum of its parts.

RimworldOx

Game looks interesting, thx for mentioning it!

pktongrimworld

(The only legit question is: did it use any of the art assets that is owned solely by Rim world?)

Bozobub

Quote from: pktongrimworld on May 09, 2018, 09:24:22 PM
(The only legit question is: did it use any of the art assets that is owned solely by Rim world?)
No, it did not; that's already been explained in this thread.
Thanks, belgord!

crystal6tak

Seems more like a gameplay mix between Don't Starve, Minecraft, and Terraria. Other than blocks and walls, most of the artwork looks original and has a very old school MMORPG esque to it.

Other than a bit of art, NOTHING is similar to Rimworld. Both serves a completely different experience. One provides a colony sim with tons of drama while the other provides RPG with base building elements.

The game looks very interesting though, although the art is putting me off, looks too...rough and unpolished.

Tober6fire

Rimworld forms
Most games you can say are copycats of other games even though most popular games are inspired by other games and their mechanics like take for instance fortnight which if you go down the line went from coping the general idea of PUBG which was from H1Z1 king of the hill or now just (king of the hill) which then you can say copied from DayZ (I don't know if it goes any farther) since H1Z1(or now just survive) is a zombie apocalypse game. (I used fortnight since it's really gaining popularity) Another example would be The Watch dogs series and GTA series. Since both games are still somewhat popular it was kinda of natural to for some people to assume that Watch dogs were trying to copy GTA's approach to open world and the occasional fights between your character and the cops. Other then that that was it for the Similarities, Rimworld and K(sorry forgot how to spell this game we are arguing about lol) yes their art may be similar and the "we need to survive" aspect is also the same, but really the two games are as similar as watch dogs series is similar to GTA series. If people aren't allowed to become inspired from other games to create their own games what is the point of any future game to be created if the creative part of it is shattered since they couldn't use the mechanics or art style of another game.
I love stories and I hope that everyone try's to contribute in telling their stories as it is interesting and intriguing to see people connect through the tales they create.

Ramsis

I read through this thread and just shake my head multiple times over how toxic and disrespectful multiple members of our community are being over a single game on Steam that has a similar look to RimWorld despite:

1. Not having any point for point RimWorld graphics
2. Literally nothing of ours was stolen
3. The game is closer to Don't Starve in terms of actual gameplay (I bought the game)

Most of the negativity in this thread has been a swirling vortex of undeserved hate and drama and I must admit I don't care for it in the slightest bit. Chill out, there is no need to go hating on a sister title in the indie market that is just being itself. They didn't hurt us, they didn't try to do anything to disrespect RimWorld, leave 'em alone.

Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Tober6fire

Sorry If my comment seemed in any way negitive just trying to prove a point
I love stories and I hope that everyone try's to contribute in telling their stories as it is interesting and intriguing to see people connect through the tales they create.

eddie00000000

Blindly calling Kleperth a copy-cat of RimWorld is akin to blindly calling a caucasian a copy-cat model of bleached-white Africans.

Just because something appear SIMILAR doesn't automatically means its the SAME.
Besides, if one is sincerely expect 'original' ~ DO create THAT 'original' instead of bitching about nothing significant and non-constructive.
At the least, I still DON'T see a stable MOD for RimWorld that can do what Kleperth does ~ and its already 2019.

Kirby23590

Quote from: eddie00000000 on January 01, 2019, 08:22:53 PM
its already 2019.

You know that this post was made in April 20, 2018...

Basically kinda Necromancy by Necroposting here...

Besides Keplerth is more of a game in the blood of Don't Starve, Minecraft and Single player Survival Games... The Workshop Page in Steam is small with some mods, but that doesn't mean its a bad game, it has some good stuff like playing different types of races like elves for example...

Some people just want riff off stuff that are Copy-Cats even though they are similar or inspired, and I remember the Games in the PS3 known as Infamous and [Prototype] and fans of of those games started calling the other Ripoff, And Fans of them don't want you get the other one, But i did anyways for my PS3 and both of them are Good games with strengths and weakness in terms of gameplay and storytelling, Depends on the person or the player's taste...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Shurp

I do wonder where these one-hit necromancer wonders come from.

Normally I would chalk it up to a spambot / advertiser / phisher / hacker, except I don't see anything actually dangerous in eddie's post.... just a random rant.  Is it possible AI has gotten so good that it can imitate an ordinary drunk forum poster?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Shurp on January 02, 2019, 09:14:31 PM
I do wonder where these one-hit necromancer wonders come from.

Normally I would chalk it up to a spambot / advertiser / phisher / hacker, except I don't see anything actually dangerous in eddie's post.... just a random rant.  Is it possible AI has gotten so good that it can imitate an ordinary drunk forum poster?
It's possible a spambot posted, eddie saw the thread and replied, then a moderator deleted the spam post.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.