Space Engineers

Started by Semmy, October 29, 2013, 06:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Semmy

shamefully in a weak state of mind i bought this game and space engineers.

DF-9 offers alot of potential. But like alot of people say its empty atm.
I do love spacestations even more now.

Space engineers is fucking bloody incredible awsome.
As soon as MP hits it will be a kickass game. Ive already build some bigass spacestations and atm im going to try and build the battlestar galactica
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

GC13

At the risk of going off-topic, what's the appeal of Space Engineers? It looks neat, and the idea of building your own ships and stations does sound neat in a way that building manors in Minecraft doesn't. But, speaking of Minecraft, the only construction project I've ever done in it was a spiral staircase down into a canyon since it opened into the cavern system (I decided to put glass in so I could look out while I walked down).

Semmy

Quote from: GC13 on October 29, 2013, 11:42:15 AM
At the risk of going off-topic, what's the appeal of Space Engineers? It looks neat, and the idea of building your own ships and stations does sound neat in a way that building manors in Minecraft doesn't. But, speaking of Minecraft, the only construction project I've ever done in it was a spiral staircase down into a canyon since it opened into the cavern system (I decided to put glass in so I could look out while I walked down).

For me the appeal is construction.
That combined with the to be released multiplayer is a +10 for me.
Than to imagine there are weapons for your ships and a survival mode planned for the near future.
How bloody awsome.
You create your own asteroid colony and defend it with your friends against endless hordes of enemies.
Edmund Burke

GC13

I suppose I'll have to wait for a while on Space Engineers then. For me, building something isn't very meaningful unless it matters how I build it. That's the problem with Minecraft: except for my own vanity, there's no reason not to keep my home base as forever a hole in the cliffside with a bed, a furnace or two, a workbench, and however many chests I need to store my cobblestoneâ€"I mean my stuff.

nomadseifer

Building = fun.  Kids know it, adults know it.  Asking why its fun is a question I don't even understand.  That's like asking why sunshine feels nice on your skin. 
Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW

GC13

It's just... Building a big, elaborate space station seems an awful lot of work for something that I won't be playing in for much time. Especially when I could make something in one percent of the time that does everything that the other space station does.

Semmy

Quote from: GC13 on October 30, 2013, 12:07:09 AM
It's just... Building a big, elaborate space station seems an awful lot of work for something that I won't be playing in for much time. Especially when I could make something in one percent of the time that does everything that the other space station does.

Ah so the point is that you do like building but are just lazy d-;

Space engineers just like rimworld, spacebase df-9, planetary annihilation and many other games is just making his first steps. So lets be patient and see what the future brings
Edmund Burke

Turbo

Now I enjoyed the alpha footage.

/steamwishlisted
Whatever happens, happens.

GC13

No, the point is that building is only entertaining so long as there's a point to it. I don't sit around building RPG characters that I never intend to play, and I don't sit around building mansions in Minecraft that just mean that it takes me longer to get to the stuff I use in my home base.

Dragula

Just watching some space engineers videos. Building is indeed cool and the fact that it's in space is even cooler.
Bit i'm with GC13;
Just building for the building, without goal, isn't attractive on a long term basis. Defending it against space-zombies or keeping a population running would add a lot to the fun though.

I haven't watched a lot of feeds but are there things that go catastrophically wrong? Like stray asteroids and pirate attacks?

Semmy

Quote from: Dragula on October 31, 2013, 06:25:52 PM
Just watching some space engineers videos. Building is indeed cool and the fact that it's in space is even cooler.
Bit i'm with GC13;
Just building for the building, without goal, isn't attractive on a long term basis. Defending it against space-zombies or keeping a population running would add a lot to the fun though.

I haven't watched a lot of feeds but are there things that go catastrophically wrong? Like stray asteroids and pirate attacks?

not yet.
But there will be survival for sure.
You can already select it but just doesnt do anything yet d-;
Edmund Burke

Dragula

I'll keep it in my favorites than and see what happens with the game :)
Would be cool if there was a storytelling-based mode.

Jones-250

Yup... So. MP is up... Just to reboot the discussion.
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.