Cant start game: "Object reference not set"

Started by rawapa, April 21, 2018, 05:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawapa

I play this game on Steam.

Last night the game worked fine and shut down normally, as did Steam and Windows.

Today, when starting the game, the debug log would not close and a count of the error msg "object reference not set to an instance of object" was constantly being added to, as in a loop.

I had many mods which were still subscribed to but were now turned off - not by me.  Only Core remained active.  I could not get any mod to remain active.

I ultimately unsubscribed from all mods, uninstalled and reinstalled Rimworld through Steam, restarted Steam, restarted the PC.

When I try to start a new colony in this pristine vanilla condition, I get the usual "generating world" message, then the un-closeable debug log with the constantly updating counter on the above msg.  Clicking away from the log sends me back to new colony setup, so I cant get a game to start.

I hope someone can point me to some remedy for this.  I cant find quite this situation mentioned in the forums.  The log file text is attached.

This is the first problem I've had with this game in over 1000 hrs of play.

[attachment deleted due to age]

rawapa

I'll reply to myself.

The problem was corrected by turning off Dev mode.  Maybe last night was the first time I ever got out of the game in Dev mode.  Weird.  Something for people to be aware of.

Canute

It can't be the dev mode generally, i am playing allways with dev mode on.

But i heared 1-2 mod's got problems with dev mode on.
When i look at the error log
QuoteC:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods\Core\Defs\Incidents/Incidents_Caravan.xml: root element named IncidentDefs; should be named Defs
that show that is something wrong with core (the vanilia rimworld').
Since you wrote you reinstalled rimworld, there must be a mod that change that.
I think a mod modify the core folder directly at a bad way.

And i think he other following error's are a result of that too.
But i couldn't identify a modname in it, but it should be a mod about incidents and caravans.

Since such kind of error's lead soon or later to a broken safegame, you should investigate and find that mod.

rawapa

Thanks for looking at it.  I cant think of a mod off hand that involves caravans, but I have a lot of mods.  I'll look into it.