Well, that escalated quickly.

Started by BoogieMan, October 26, 2018, 09:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoogieMan

I wasn't expecting 91 Raiders, with at least 2 Doomsday Rocket Launchers and 2 or 3 triple rocket launchers. My population is like 19.

EDIT: Well it went better than I thought it would, but I got extremely lucky. I had a double door set up far out from my base in a mountain pass which they have to beat down to buy me time, and some idiot with a molotov chucked it at the door with like 12 of his buddies on it and lit them all up. Another dude tossed a frag and killed one and wounded several more. Then during the fight at least 2 rockets seemed to hit their own people because they only flew halfway to my front line when they exploded it killed and injured a lot of them.

Many more died in the raging inferno that resulted. I'd guess that almost half of their raid was killed by friendly fire, luckily for me. The broke and retreated shortly after their rocketeers wrecked their own raid.

3/4ths of my population are flooding the hospital with blood, many missing limbs and one missing a kidney. Most of the fallen enemies died in the fire so I was only able to capture 4 of the raiders. My two doctors and 2 backup medics pulled double duty after patching themselves up.

It's astonishing, but none of my people died. If I didn't have a chain of fodder turrets far out in the front to eat some of the early missiles I think I would have been out of luck. But I need to spread out my turret placement even more because they took out 3 of them with a single rocket. My entire front line bunker was destroyed, it was wall-sandbag-wall-sandbag line with double sandbag layers in front of it, and granite walls. Something else that is nice, right in front of my front line is a river that is 22%-30% walkspeed. They get bogged down in that pretty good while in range of my defenses.

I'm now in the process of going into overdrive on my defenses because I was not expecting a raid of that magnitude, and I'm certain blind luck is the only thing that got me through it.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

All your walls made out of Plasteel, all furniture with gold ? :-)
Could you just tell us your colony wealth ?

BoogieMan

I thought it was fairly modest.

Apparently total colony wealth is 423,135. I usually don't follow that so I don't know if that is high. I think a good deal of it may be that I got several large manhunters packs (elephants, rhinos, boars) and a LOT of food as a result. A few good crafters making gear and beds and stuff too, I guess?

Cassandra Classic on Savage.  And, well, it certainly is savage.

Canute

Definitiv Savage.
Good thing is, you still can change it during gameplay after you survived that ! :-)

B@R5uk

Quote from: BoogieMan on October 26, 2018, 09:34:36 AM...I think a good deal of it may be that I got several large manhunters packs (elephants, rhinos, boars) and a LOT of food as a result...

You should have kept the meat in the form of corpses, especially the large ones like rhinos and elephants. In this form meat and leather will not increase your colony wealth as well as save A LOT OF space.

MisterVertigo

Quote from: B@R5uk on October 26, 2018, 01:41:17 PM
Quote from: BoogieMan on October 26, 2018, 09:34:36 AM...I think a good deal of it may be that I got several large manhunters packs (elephants, rhinos, boars) and a LOT of food as a result...

You should have kept the meat in the form of corpses, especially the large ones like rhinos and elephants. In this form meat and leather will not increase your colony wealth as well as save A LOT OF space.
I've often wondered about this. Is it better to have frozen corpses in my freezer, or butcher them and have raw meat instead? Does one contribute more to wealth than the other? I guess raw meat probably takes up more space if that is an issue. I usually try to have at least one cook going full time so I never stop making meals. I never know when my cook will get injured or sick, and I like to have a stockpile of meals ready to go instead of a pile of ingredients.
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Canute

I setup 2 butcher bills for animals most of the time.
The first butcher mainly all smaller animals nonstop.
While the other butcher all with the until 1000 (since i use extended storage mod,and 2 basket are around 1000 meat).
So you get right of the small ones that block your corpse freezer.

Shurp

Be careful - you may get raided by 20 centipedes in 2 days.  Be quick about repairing essential defenses.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.