Mechanoid Rant

Started by Greenbear, April 27, 2018, 04:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glob

Most of the recipes in this thread won't work when there are about 100 and more mechs. Against ships a salvo of 12-14 mortars with emp with target points scattered round the ship works. Agains normal raids there's no defence at all.

jpinard

Quote from: vampiresoap on April 29, 2018, 04:57:13 PM
The best strategy is to wall in the whole ship area and set the room on fire...You only need one person with a Molotov or incendiary launcher to do this.

Failing that, massive artillery bombardment kills them from an extremely safe distance.

But to do this you need a roof, and won't building the roof release the mechs now?

bbqftw

Kind of funny reading this now that inferno is the less dangerous centipede variant by a long shot

BLACK_FR

Wealth management + long range weapons make it reasonably easy. And inferno centipedes for sure are the most dangerous by far.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

fritzgryphon

Quote from: BLACK_FR on October 23, 2018, 05:02:17 PM
And inferno centipedes for sure are the most dangerous by far.

Now you tell me.  I was doing ok until my turrets ran out of durability and my guys lit on fire.  There were 10 colonists but most of them incinerated.  Was 5 days from ship launch on my first Extreme Savage attempt  :'(

Always kite Centipedes.  The Scythers were easy but the Centipedes have way too much health to fight directly.

Shurp

Depends on how you fight them.  If you let them get into your base, you're screwed.  But if you fight them outside behind a properly built barricade they're not too difficult.

Key element: make sure there's nothing *behind* the barricade, so shots which miss sail harmlessly off behind you instead of hitting a wall and roasting your pawns.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

jpinard

I"m worried.  I'm on a map with a huge river that goes diagonal across the screen.  Water and massive marshes take up both sides.  I don't see any way I can make a proper square fortress of walls.

zizard

send seed and location please

Spocklw

The biggest problem with mechanoids I see now is that they are completely not fun to deal with. Sure, first raids with few of each are fine, but as the game progresses it becomes huge nuisance. I don't enjoy purposeful wealth reduction, so I don't do it, and when I get yet another mechanoid raid with 30 or now even more centipedes, which are incredibly hard to kill and I would have to micro for like an hour just to deal with this, I'm just like... oh, okay... f.. this game then.

FTR

Quote from: Spocklw on October 24, 2018, 06:28:38 AM
The biggest problem with mechanoids I see now is that they are completely not fun to deal with. Sure, first raids with few of each are fine, but as the game progresses it becomes huge nuisance. I don't enjoy purposeful wealth reduction, so I don't do it, and when I get yet another mechanoid raid with 30 or now even more centipedes, which are incredibly hard to kill and I would have to micro for like an hour just to deal with this, I'm just like... oh, okay... f.. this game then.

Exactly that. I get difficulty aspect and all that, and it's all fine as long as those raids aren't to big, but eventually you just spend 90% of your time playing trying to micromanage and fight mechanoids & clean up and then repeat. I thought this game was mainly suppoused to be drama and social interactions between colonists and not endless mechanoid fights.

As I said until you reach the point of huge mechanoid raids, it's all played very, very differently. You can kite or build structures around them, you can micromanage your colonists and make some neat strategical plays. But all of it is out of window when there is like 30+ mechs coming at you.

Wealth management is bs. and I refuse to do it. It's so goddamn "gamey". Even Tynan said to just play the game and not worry about the wealth. Even if you have really nice killbox, (which I also consider "gamey", this game is more fun when you try to adapt and do not rely on huge killboxes and dumb AI pathing) you will only lose resources because of new turret mechanic requiring you to resupply, 10+ centipedes eat a lot of bullets.

Like.. what am I suppoused to do when there is raid of 10+ scythers, 10+ lancers and 10+ centipedes? There is no way you can fight them w/o really solid defenses like killbox full of turrets and traps. I was thinking of having team of 10+ melee fighters, but I have 15 colonists total so do I really have to make almost of them melee fighters to be able to repel single type of enemy in the game? If you want melee approach you really need at least one fighter per centipede or they just gonna shred you with bullets and fire at point-blank distance, and shield belts won't save you. And you also need to take care of scythers/lancers first before you can even think of melee approach against centipedes which further complicates things.

RimWorld is at it best early to mid game when raids are still small and your colonists matter. Once mechanoid raids appear and ratio of enemies to your colonists is becoming bigger and bigger, and you have to rely on killboxes, game can be really frustrating.

Pirate gunfights outside of killbox are still my favourite (as long as they don't carry rocket launchers). You gotta take favourable position, choose your targets carefully and so on. Too bad those are entirely replaced by bloodthirsty mechs in late game.

zizard

I would point to mechs in this game as "generally what not to do" for enemy design.

cyberian

Quote from: FTR on October 24, 2018, 08:10:44 PM
Like.. what am I suppoused to do when there is raid of 10+ scythers, 10+ lancers and 10+ centipedes? There is no way you can fight them w/o really solid defenses like killbox full of turrets and traps. I was thinking of having team of 10+ melee fighters, but I have 15 colonists total so do I really have to make almost of them melee fighters to be able to repel single type of enemy in the game?
I am doing a diff serious game where I don't do killboxes. I am not at the point yet where I get size 30 mech raids but they are starting to ramp up. I am playing with the Sidearm mod where I can give every colonist two weapons a ranged one primary and a melee one secondary. They autoswitch by distance and you can also manually switch.
I am not sure if the way I play without much defense architecture so leaving my base intentionally open in all directions and not concentrating the enemy into some area by walls is really playable without that mod. The enemies always break through and I want it that way. One weapon per colonist is totally unrealistic anyway sidearms are a thing.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=927155256
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32497.0

Shurp

Just a thought on mech raids: scythers/lancers move faster than centipedes.  So you shouldn't have to face both at once unless there is a ship part or drop pods involved.  Just make sure to finish off the scythers before the centipedes get there.

But yeah, if there are more centipedes than colonists you're probably in trouble.  Maybe hit them with mortars?  They're slow enough that they should be easy to target, and if there's that many your mortars should hit something.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Spocklw

Quote from: Shurp on October 25, 2018, 03:18:34 AMMaybe hit them with mortars?  They're slow enough that they should be easy to target, and if there's that many your mortars should hit something.

To this I would like to point out, that single centipede is able to survive 40+ direct mortar hits with HE. Tell me how viable this strategy is, when you account for forced miss radius on mortars and raid of 20+ mechanoids.

I mean not even orbial bombardment will kill all of those things (usually few of them die, but the others are not that much damaged).

The bottomline is, I'm not looking into ways how to destroy them, I am *able* to destroy them, I just don't enjoy the game anymore because every huge mechanoid raid takes ridiculously long time of extremely boring microing. And they also destroy around 20 autocannons and uranium slug cannons in the process if I have them up at the time.

cyberian

If only there was a way to bring Grizzly Bears into Centipede melee range safely.

Anyone knows of a teleporter mod? :)
Or I need shield belts for them :)