I want it on GOG.com

Started by badon, April 28, 2018, 12:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badon

I want it on GOG.com. I registered to say this.

jamaicancastle

Isn't Good Old Games's remit games that are, well, old, rather than games that haven't actually come out yet?

Anyway they already put it up with one digital retailer and I'm sure that's headache enough as it stands.

badon

Originally, yes. Today, not so much. GOG's one unique specialty is DRM-free, but if new games are offered DRM-free, they will carry them and promote them. They do several new releases per week, typically. The pace is increasing, and the company is so profitable, it's starting to look like they are able to get anything the big competitors like Steam can get.

I have never spent so much money on entertainment in my life, but I'm completely comfortable buying without any hesitation from GOG. There are no downsides for me as a buyer, compared to all the alternatives, including developer-only DRM-free source, like is currently done with RimWorld.

I'm so spoiled for choices and things I want that I almost never stray away from GOG to see what else is out there. The only reason I decided to buy RimWorld (if it's on GOG or promised to be on GOG) is because Gnomoria is on sale right now, and it's inspired by Dwarf Fortress. My researching on Dwarf Fortress led me to RimWorld, and I decided it's the best choice to invest my available time and money IF it gets GOG support.

I'm willing to accept a promise for a GOG copy if RimWorld ever ends up on the GOG platform, and I'll buy it on Steam or here with that understanding. I doubt I'll get it though. Despite being DRM-free, the developer seems to be uninterested in GOG. Usually games end up GOG after the DRM market slows down, but there are a lot more first-day releases on GOG now, so I figured it was worth a try to see if I can get the developer's attention and a promise for a GOG copy if I go ahead and buy it now. We'll see if he replies.

In the meantime, I'm probably buying a bunch of other games (on GOG.com) with my RimWorld money. We'll see what happens next.

badon

Here's one of many great reasons to want it on GOG:

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/ubuntu_1804_official_support_and_things_that_are_nice_to_know

They make sure old games will still work on the latest whatever new thing. I won't get that from my isolated DRM-free download anywhere else. If I switch from Windows to Linux, I get a Linux version from GOG too. That's awesome.

Perq

I don't quite understand your reasoning. Why do you want it so bad on GOG, exactly? DRM free? You can just buy it here and get it DRM free. And you'll still be getting Steam key.
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

badon

Quote from: Perq on May 10, 2018, 05:49:04 AM
Why do you want it so bad on GOG, exactly? DRM free?

No. You need to re-read what I said to find the other reasons. In short, GOG's support after the sale is superior to what a typical developer can offer. In fact, GOG offers support for games decades after the developers have moved-on, retired, or gone out of business.

cultist

Quote from: badon on May 10, 2018, 06:45:51 AM
Quote from: Perq on May 10, 2018, 05:49:04 AM
Why do you want it so bad on GOG, exactly? DRM free?

No. You need to re-read what I said to find the other reasons. In short, GOG's support after the sale is superior to what a typical developer can offer. In fact, GOG offers support for games decades after the developers have moved-on, retired, or gone out of business.

I understand your reasoning, but there's no guarantee that GOG exists five years from now. Buying a digital product always means it will become unusable at some uncertain point in the feature. Even with GOG, there are still thousands of classic PC games that remain unplayable without emulators or modification.

badon

Quote from: cultist on May 10, 2018, 07:40:24 AM
Quote from: badon on May 10, 2018, 06:45:51 AM
In short, GOG's support after the sale is superior to what a typical developer can offer. In fact, GOG offers support for games decades after the developers have moved-on, retired, or gone out of business.

I understand your reasoning, but there's no guarantee that GOG exists five years from now.

Today, GOG will help me troubleshoot a small technical issue specific to my system. Today, GOG will give me a refund if I'm just unlucky and my specific system does not work for some unknown reason. Today, GOG will accept a bug report and try to fix issues without the involvement of the developer. Today, the large and loyal GOG community will provide assistance if they can, far beyond that of a small community of fans of a single developer, like this one.

There really is no comparison. GOG has many advantages that no single developer can ever hope to match. It doesn't matter whether we're talking about games, peaches, or tanks. Middlemen exist because they provide valuable services that no one else can do better. TODAY, this is a fundamental principle of business. 5000 years from now, it will STILL be a fundamental principle of business.

TODAY, there are a lot of people that choose GOG as their middleman. They are not crazy, nor misguided. Middlemen add a cost to cover their profit margin. The only reason people TODAY are begging to pay that cost is because they think it is worth their money. If you don't understand why TODAY people are asking for GOG to be their middleman, that's fine. You don't need to understand. You have your preference for a middleman (or lack thereof), and they have their preference for a middleman.

Tomorrow, your preference might change. TODAY you probably only have 2 choices for your gaming middlemen: Either Steam, or GOG. If you're lucky, maybe you will have both options available to you.  Lots of games are available from both Steam and GOG. I hope SOMEDAY RimWorld will be one of them.

Injured Muffalo

I presume it will be for 1.0. As I understand, most platforms make patching really difficult.
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

malahaas

I agree, I only buy from gog.com.  I also have enough choices that I do not need to buy this game, but I definitely will if it comes to gog.  My reasons are not so much what gog offers, but my disdain for Steam.

vzoxz0

That was one hell of a necro-first-post. It seems unlikely RimWorld will be added to GoG

ODDizee

:o
Well, for what it's worth, Rimworld on Steam doesn't use Valve's DRM so once it is downloaded you can run it without Steam. Of course you don't get whatever stats and such Steam records but it's probably of little concern anyway.

asanbr

I still don't understand what you're arguing about.

It's quite simple. If you want to play Rimworld, buy it and play it. If you want to play anything else, from GOG or whatever, go ahead and do that.

If you want to play Rimworld but choose not to because it's not on GOG, then, well, nevermind.

ninjaRakun

I also registered just to add: I would love to buy this game on GOG, but only on GOG.

P.S. The post verification questions are annoying, so I probably won't post here again.

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: ninjaRakun on February 24, 2019, 11:23:52 AM
I also registered just to add: I would love to buy this game on GOG, but only on GOG.

P.S. The post verification questions are annoying, so I probably won't post here again.
Rise from your grave once more, fallen thread.

The main website offers a payment option to get a direct download link to the game via Sendowl. Practically the same as GOG and directly supports the developer.