Boats

Started by thewraithplayer, April 28, 2018, 03:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewraithplayer

I started a game, and as always, hit the random landing site button. Sometimes I end up in utterly horrible spots, such as a tile away from the northern ice sheet. Other times I think I land in a bad spot, then make something amazing from it, like when I made a castle out of a mountainous arid shrub land coast. This time, I landed on a small island, with no other factions. I got the call about the hidden ship, only to find that there is no possible way for me to access it.
Boats, even simple ones such as canoes, would be a game changer. I would no longer be trapped on my one tile temperate forest island, I could sail the seas and oceans of Regilis VI to my heart's content.
As always, thanks for reading.

Tomasdav

well implying ships might be too hard because there is no source code for something that moves over water, I think. I would appriciate ships and vehicles like trucks or planes aswell. The catch is f.e. for truck you have to build a road for plane runway etc. Its far too complex but it would be cool no doubt

thewraithplayer

Yeah, ships would be hard. Maybe small boats, like canoes and kayaks could work like muffalos (I think you can ride them, but IDK for sure). At worst, they could just allow you to go at walking speed across the water.

SirDarin

Quote from: Tomasdav on April 29, 2018, 05:29:22 AM
well implying ships might be too hard because there is no source code for something that moves over water, I think. I would appriciate ships and vehicles like trucks or planes aswell. The catch is f.e. for truck you have to build a road for plane runway etc. Its far too complex but it would be cool no doubt

There is a mod that allows the building of roads on the world map. So not impossible.

Quote from: thewraithplayer on April 29, 2018, 11:43:24 AM
Yeah, ships would be hard. Maybe small boats, like canoes and kayaks could work like muffalos (I think you can ride them, but IDK for sure). At worst, they could just allow you to go at walking speed across the water.

You can't ride animals in the base game, however there is a mod "Giddy Up" that allows riding animals in a variety of situations. So also not impossible. The biggest problem might be figuring out its movement, because I assume that the goal is to not have boats wandering around like animals or mechanoids. Maybe they can be coded in similarly to transport pods, but IDK if that is possible. We would need to ask someone more knowledgeable in coding about it.

Tomasdav

don´t you know how is the road building mod named? I would like to connect my colony with world

Jackalvin

I'd like boats for different purposes. Even if they were low tier
-Kayaks for quick personal travel. If you want to go on a diplomatic journey or bring that one colonist to the new base, you'd use this.
-Some sort of barge, in order to haul large amounts of cargo at a snail's pace.
-A longship to viking the goods out of your neighbors.
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

Call me Arty

Might I encourage you to search "boat" in the search bar when on the suggestion forums? Generally, if you have an idea, it's wise to see if anyone else had the idea first. In this case, you could have added to a post that already had a fair amount of criticism and praise, and it would show-up with the rest of the recent topics. Boats are, after-all, a pretty popular suggestion.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

SirDarin

Quote from: Tomasdav on April 30, 2018, 05:44:01 AM
don´t you know how is the road building mod named? I would like to connect my colony with world

Yes, sorry. I meant to look it up, but it slipped my mind. The mod is RimRoads, I found it on Steam but moved the steam files directly to my mod folder for convenience. I haven't looked for it on Ludeon, so I don't know if it is available here.