Every canonical mention of Xenohumans, plus my opinions on why we need them.

Started by Call me Arty, May 01, 2018, 12:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

Quote from: nccvoyager on June 27, 2018, 07:14:01 AM
IIRC, Tynan once indicated that he hoped to add (what I remember him calling) sub-human races eventually.
(Dwarf-like, elf-like, et cetera.)
At that time, he also stated that there was no guarantee that other races would ever actually be added, and that if they were added, they would be added extremely late in development, after everything else was more or less complete.

Yup, and you better believe I'll hold him to that.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Adamiks

Quote from: Call me Arty on June 27, 2018, 12:03:31 AM
Though I am frankly offended by your disparaging of my beloved Apini, I like the idea of a way to convert others to be more like your colony (you can make a colony with all cannibals/psychopaths/night owls, and 100% of your colonists have it. . . in your colony of three). Xenomorphs would fit the bill. It's also a way to differentiate xenos from traited-up humans. Xenomorphs (despite being aliens) couldn't be recreated just by giving humans the jogger and bloodlust trait. You'd be missing acid blood, sword-like tails, and would have to take responsibility for keeping them from doing any complex tasks and keeping them from wearing clothes or using weapons. No offense, but assuming you add nothing else, soldiers with tougher bodyparts could just be somebody with a high shooting skill and the "though" trait. The miners could just have some kind of photosensitivity or be night owls. On the other hand, soldiermorphs are nearly physically perfect, can only eat one kind of food, have a short lifespan (experienced players could easily see old age killing more of these guys than raiders), pain-tolerant, and are dumber than a sack of bricks. Sure, those could be five traits, but gifted (sometimes cursed, depends on the taits) can still only have about three. Therefore, why not xeno?

What i was trying to say, but i guess failed, is that i'd *love* to see a *completely* different race, and used xenos as an example, but, considering that it's unlikely it will ever happen, i'd be content with just minor changes to pawns (i'm not very creative so i used those poor examples, not realizing that "tough" trait actually increases hp of body parts already)

I see your point though, but, as to
Quote from: Call me Arty on June 27, 2018, 12:03:31 AMTherefore, why not xeno?

Because it would take a considerate amount of time to properly implement xenos that feel different from just slightly-modified-humans (which you can already achieve in vanilla game, just with bionics for example) and frankly, while i'd *love* to see them in-game, i'd also love seeing a bunch of different things added, fixed or rebalanced first. I feel xenos are something that Tynan will either never add or only in the far future when he is fully content with the current state of the game and doesn't feel like anything is missing, so he just decides to add some fun/requested things.

Scavenger

Probably my biggest passion is biology in general, but particularly, Evolution and the way creatures evolve to adapt to their environments. It's really too bad Humanity has so few big physical differences, mostly just skin tone, slight size differences, and hair(wiry, curly, flaccid and straight, ect). While animals have such massive physical differences between similar species.

These mods added to the game, along with greater variety  of animals with more unique  traits, in a balanced and official capacity would make the game 10x better to me! I absolutely love the variety already have and taming. Many of these mentioned Xeno humans would be the coolest thing! I am just hesitant to add any actual mod, because they are rarely balanced very well, and I absolutely love a very challenging game. I wouldn't want it any easier whatsoever. The couple you mentioned don't sound particularly balanced, especially the psionic one, and psionics are both one of my favorite fantasy types of magic ever, and one of the hardest things I have ever seen balance wise universally between video games and DND haha. They seem like they fulfill the role of a strong research at work crafting pain that is a pacifist, just significantly stronger at it, with slight drawbacks. They wouldn't go in combat, so you wouldn't have to worry about the pain tolerance. They actually seem stronger than pacifist because they can go in combat! And psionic sensitivity is annoying, but you can deal with it. And I would gladly trade that for the big increase in research and productivity.

Anyway, they would absolutely make my day(year) if these things were added to the game or balanced very well as mods! It was a pleasure reading all that lore you linked, and thanks for taking the time to post all that!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Call me Arty

Quote from: Scavenger on June 30, 2018, 06:06:18 AM
Probably my biggest passion is biology in general, but particularly, Evolution and the way creatures evolve to adapt to their environments. It's really too bad Humanity has so few big physical differences, mostly just skin tone, slight size differences, and hair(wiry, curly, flaccid and straight, ect). While animals have such massive physical differences between similar species.

<snip>

Anyway, they would absolutely make my day(year) if these things were added to the game or balanced very well as mods! It was a pleasure reading all that lore you linked, and thanks for taking the time to post all that!

I'm in the same boat. Never liked Vulcans or "painted humans" (as the term goes). The real interesting/freaky creatures always caught my attention and imagination. Rimworld's developers know that too, what with one biome being able to have completely different plants and animals from one another. Sure, there's not much need for evolution - considering that we have coolers for the deserts and heaters for the ice sheets - , but you can't tell me that in the same universe where some guy thought luciferium was a good idea, and another guy (unless we have some real evil genius here) thought giant insects were a good defense against mechanoids, that there wasn't some egghead who thought "sure would be nice if we had fewer people dying of frostbite. . . if only there were some way to have a built-in parka".

I agree, the day xenohumans get added is the day I buy the game (using the Steam Family thing to play a friend's copy). Don't care what else gets added, it'd be complete for me right then and there. If I'm playing the thing for free right now anyways, the least I could do is put in some time to articulate some neat ideas. Besides, credit goes to the Rimworld team. Without them giving us the olive branch on lore, any to what capacity we'd have xenos, I'd probably be like the rest of the uncultured alien-loving masses asking for Xenomorphs or Sangheili, or something else less unique to the Rimworld universe. I like what we have now, even if it doesn't exist yet.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

Scavenger

I actually quite like the Elites in Halo! Their culture Kind of reminds me of a futuristic feudal Japan. But another one of my main passions in the biology area are vaguely zombie style but more realistic viruses and other organisms that kill their prey, then repurposed the biomass into their own. The flood, zombies from The Last of Us( they gets big props, as it exists in real life with insects! Reanimating fungus.) Necromorphs, and the Zerg to a degree. The Halo universe is pretty great! But I digress haha.

It would be great if you are more likely to encounter or be raided by species evolved for certain climates in those climates. Like the furry Hillbillies in Tundras. Or possibly even an amphibious race near the ocean. Though.. Currently in game, location of bases has nothing to do with what attacks you. Which I dislike, I really wish your proximity and the number of enemy bases you are near, as well as which faction, had some impact on what attacked you.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Albion

Well I decided to give this a try... I was considering to do some kind of race mod for a while and since it's canon I'll try to implement some of these ideas in a mod.
You can find the releated topic here.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Albion on July 17, 2018, 11:18:18 AM
Well I decided to give this a try... I was considering to do some kind of race mod for a while and since it's canon I'll try to implement some of these ideas in a mod.
You can find the releated topic here.

Everybody kindly check-out this individual's mod and support them in their efforts. It's so cool that someone would just up an make a mod because somebody liked the idea of it.

Scavenger

Call me Arty

Quote from: Scavenger on July 20, 2018, 09:57:31 PM
Sweet! Thanks my dood!

Nah, thank you! I just sat around for an afternoon or two collecting things somebody else wrote, asking other people to add them. All the thanks belongs to you - the modding community - or one the developers for actually adding content to the game.

Call me Arty

My dumb ass just realized that Scavenger probably thanked Albion for making the mod, and that I thought I was thanking Albion in that reply. Better late than never.

As a better excuse for necro-ing this post: Albion and his small team made the mod! You can get it here on the forum, and on Steam! Make sure you check it out and support mods made by people who aren't as lazy as I am!