Every canonical mention of Xenohumans, plus my opinions on why we need them.

Started by Call me Arty, May 01, 2018, 12:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

I really like the idea of Xenohumans in Rimworld. Some of the first mods I installed were the Cactacae, Apini, Leeani, and Crystalloid mods, which undoubtedly set in place my necessity for them even after several updates. The small bits of culture snuck into backstories, design, unique researches, and even small details like comfortable temperature added so much more depth than "get the greedy guy the nice bedroom" and "we have a valuable pawn who's a pyromaniac; start replacing the wooden floors". That being said, I will now highlight all of the confirmed Xenohumans that we know of in the canon as it currently is.

The best definition we have of Rimworld's brand of xenohumans is provided by the Ordo Historia in the Cryptosleep Revival Briefing (think of it to the closest thing we have to an Encyclopedia Rimtanica at this point in time). It is described in the section "The biology of humanity" as such:
QuoteOrdo Historia records list thousands of reported contacts with alien life. However, in every case that has been thoroughly investigated, Ordo inquierers have discovered that the alien was, in fact, simply another branch of humanity.

Beyond the technological diversity of our species, there is also a broad biological diversity. Some populations have evolved under the selection pressures of pre-industrial life or on a world of great heat or cold, or high or low gravity, or even worlds bathed in the toxic residue of hyper-destructive wars. Though almost all such xenohumans (as they are called) are recognizably descended from the original Earth stock, their morphology is highly variable. Some are giants; other are tiny or squat. Some are dark; others pale as snow. Some are hairy like animals; others perfectly smooth. Diets, dispositions, and chemical and radiological tolerances vary significantly.

More alien are those xenohumans that carry genetic traits that were engineered instead of evolved. Across the long history and thousands of cultures of humanity, people have applied a dizzying array of modifications to themselves. Some were created to adapt people to a specific environment. Others were made to create better soldiers, pilots, or generals. Some were engineered to satisfy a bizarre fashion trend in a society where bioengineering is available to anyone with money. Such modifications are rarely seen in their original form by anyone besides the culture that created them. However, they live on in their descendants long after their originating culture was erased by planetary catastrophes.

For example, records tell of an entire world repopulated by the descendants of a small group of bio-engineered soldiers; the only survivors of a planetary nuclear war. Everyone on this world carried an obsessive sense of duty, minimal sexual impulses, and little sense of creativity. This culture became dominated by a conservative pan-planetary religion with little interest in technology. It lasted eleven centuries in this state until it was invaded by a stellar neighbor (who wisely avoided ground combat in favor of orbital bombardment).

This gives us a couple things to go off of. Firstly, there are two types of xeno: Evolved and Engineered. Secondly, it is possible for a population of humans to progress far enough from another population that the resulting changes to their bodies are enough to be seen as alien, rather than human. Thirdly: All xenos are based on a human form, meaning our "aliens" are probably closer to "painted humans" (Klingon, Twi'lek, Asari) than not (Gorn, Hutt, Krogan).

Beyond that, we have only a handful of those thousands of xenohumans known to us, which I have divided into two groups: The explicits (plainly explained and understood) and the speculatives (we only have bits and pieces of them).

Let's start with the Explicits.

Soldiermorphs
Engineered humans similar to the Spartans of Halo. They're military pawns intended to listen to orders, execute them with brutal efficiency, and eventually be replaced with the latest model. Additionally, they are composed of two classes: The Grunts and the Commanders, with commanders differing in their superior intelligence and calculating skills.
QuoteSoldier variants carrying any of a large number of traits that various militaries have seen fit to bestow upon their people. Typically, they have large muscles and perfect eyesight. Some have minimized metabolisms made to digest a single kind of long-lasting nutrient solution, to make army logistics easier. Their lifespans are short - usually between ten and thirty years - and they grow up very fast. But the most significant differences are psychological. Engineered grunt soldiers are obedient, sense pain only in a distant way, obsessed with learning about weapons and war, and carry a strong need to be part of something larger than themselves. They are deliberately lacking in abstract intelligence and creativity. Engineered commanders are highly analytical, fascinated with military history, utterly cold under pressure, and masters at spatial visualization.

Gravity "Elves"/Dwarves
An evolved group of xenos, their physiology is based upon their home planet. "Elves" (not called elves, I just like that term) are products of weak gravity. This is reflected in their relative twigginess compared to humans. G-Dwarves, on the other hand, are stockier and smaller than humans, thanks to originating from higher-gravity planets.
QuoteGravity variations create new body structures. People from low-g adapted populations are lighter, taller, and weaker than those from weightier environments. The most extreme examples are the gravity dwarfs, 3-foot-tall xenohumans from worlds of over 2g of gravity. Their short and stocky shape lets them live and work in comfortably in such oppressive g-pulls. They even have a noted preference for short and underground dwellings. It's unresolved whether this preference is cultural or genetic in origin.

Designer Mates
Engineered at birth to the eventual owner's tastes. Their main distinguishing features are odd colors and an ingrained submissiveness similar to the soldiermorphs. Unlike soldiermorphs - or any other xeno, for that matter - have almost no useful skills or talents. Maybe it would be worth feeding them and keeping them safe to sell them off later?
QuoteSome worlds engineer their idea of perfect mates for the rich and powerful. Such specimens are created with bodies to match the fashions of their homeworlds and the tastes of their owners. They tend to be obsessively submissive and devoted, totally without jealousy or self-regard, artistically inclined and endlessly cheerful. Such traits do not last long in an unrestricted evolutionary environment because they are so easy to exploit, but engineered mates are sometimes kept in cryptosleep long after their creation, to be traded into a post-catastrophe market that can no longer create them. The main contact most of us will ever have with such specimens is through their descendants, who, while they have most of the traits of the original in only a very diluted form, still occasionally express Mendelian traits like impossible eye shades, streaks of multicolored hair, or artistic patterns on the skin.

Now, for the speculatives.

Fashion Genes
Engineered. What you'd probably find in a low budget Sci-Fi B-movie. Essentially: "Let's put what we could find in the makeup room after the latest star wars finished production on somebody and call them non-human." Could essentially just be the humans we have, except with purple skin or a taller "thin" body type.
QuoteFashion-driven genetic modifications are often applied during later life instead of prenatally, and are most often cosmetic and skin-deep. Variations in hair and skin color are common. More exotic modification add shining crests, color-changing skin and eyes, reshaped or elongated bodies, and colored nails, feathers, or fur.

Atmospheric Adaptants.
Those native to Africa are naturally a tad better at living there (darker skin for constant sun exposure, longer eyelashes for dust and sand in the air, taller bodies to better distribute heat) than others (Caucasians are far more prone to skin cancer and sunburn, brighter eyes more sensitive to light, more compact bodies hold heat too well). Similarly, xenohumans adapted to fit their environment, but in fare more extreme cases than more sunshine. We might expect those in the extreme deserts to have leathery skin and a more reptilian physiology to deal with the intense heat, for example.
QuoteAquatic-adapted strains who can withstand breathing very high gas pressures and even survive days of immersion by exchanging oxygen through the skin (no true permanently-aquatic fish people have ever been confirmed).

Speculatives found in Backstories

Raiders
The vaguest of the xenos, there's not really any detail on them. We can assume, however, that they were either tough or influential enough to justify the use of Special Forces. Whether it's one "breed" of xeno, or an organization akin to Halo's Covenant, we don't know.
Source: Special Forces backstory.
QuoteGive me a reason to kill - a good reason! NAME was a soldier and a skilled one - so skilled that he entered the special forces to battle militants and xenohuman raiders. He never imagined himself a lone hero, but he played his part in the group well.

Abductors
Once again: vague . . . but now we at least know these guys have a goal of some sort. The abductors - I assume - are into abducting and experimenting humans to better understand their genetic structure, but can be assumed to not be physically strong (a growing human being capable of dealing with and escaping multiple of them). This leads one to believe that they are either so far removed from humans they forgot what it was to be one, or simply see them as "other". Perhaps similar to the Roswell Grey (abduction, experimentation, physically weak while mentally superior, observers). Could also just be Gravity Elves, who are essentially weaker than humans in every degree other than reaching for things off the top shelf. This would explain why they were overpowered by a human who's anywhere between adolescent to a young adult. They'd probably be real interested in finding a way to make themselves human-strong.

Source: Abductee backstory
QuoteNAME was abducted by xenohumans when he/she was still a baby. They experimented on him/her to understand his/her genetic structure. As he/she grew up, NAME grew a little bit too big and strong for his/her captors and eventually escaped.

Gnomes.
Whether they're the garden, fantasy, or some other variety, they are - apparently - a kind of human.
Source: G-Nome Sculptor backstory
QuoteNAME was engineered in a lab as part of the G-nome Project. He/She was implanted at birth with encyclopedic knowledge of all aspects of xenobiology.
The G-nome scientists nicknamed him/her Gizmo and occupied him/her with sculpting. He/She developed a love of sculpting gnomes and gnome accessories.

Hillbillies.
Furred and adapted to colder environments. Seemingly violent, whether it is due to their specific psychology or lack of cohesion with humankind is unknown. May very well just be fuzzier humans. Can be assumed as capable of operating banjos and partaking in alcohol that humans could.
Source: Hillbilly Prodigy backstory.
QuoteBorn on a cold hillbilly planet inhabited mainly by furred xenohumans, NAME grew up to the sound of bar fights and shootouts. Though his/her childhood was spent playing the banjo and working as a mechanic, his/her abnormal intelligence made him want something more; he/she entered medical school at age twenty.

Now, brief Q & A.
Q: Do you honestly expect any of these to make it into the game?
A: No, probably not. Tynan's already got to deal with not breaking what he has, in addition to other long-requested additions such as vehicles, new forms of power generation , and pawn behavior that's probably going to provide far more flavor to the game than a pawn with some slightly tweaked stats and a fresh coat of paint. Plus, the modders can already do some impressive things with races. Modifying the game itself to something that plays completely different? That's more Tynan's thing.

Q: What did you procrastinate on to write this?
A: My English paper due in three and a half hours. I'm pretty passionate about my xenos.

Q: Why should we care about these filthy xenos?
A: Variety is the spice of life. Currently, the biggest gameplay changes we get in colonies are due to traits and the tile you spawned in. The issue is that all colonies start to look the same after a certain amount of time. Desert, tundra, temperate forest, hell, even modded biomes like caves and nuclear wastelands! Every colony has a patch of renewable energies that is always one or all of the three we currently have, there's a big fridge, some hydroponics because you can't trust nature to be reliable and fast, heating and cooling - either due to climate fluctuations or to balance each other out. Meanwhile, some of the best xeno mods out there make you change how you play in major ways, or they atleast give you a viable alternative. I take this moment to praise the Apini and the Crystalloid mods mentioned above, and really need more attention.

The Apini -if you didn't click the above link like some kind of savage- are, well, bee people. They're sweet and peaceful. They don't like mountains, which us players do. "Well then, how do you make them viable? No stone, no steel, what're we supposed to do?" Beeswax! They take wood and some sort of organic material (haygrass, smokeleaf, etc) and turn it into a usable material for construction and weapon crafting. Eventually, this leads to honey production, a highly valuable commodity that sells for a lot, and makes your colonists -bee or otherwise- real happy. Their backstories are naturally inclined to reflect this less turtley, more social/growing based community. Sure, you'll lack defenses, but the ability to make such a large volume of silver and beeswax walls combined with an inclination to animal husbandry can supplement this.

The Crystalloids are special in that they can force you out of your usual habits of playing. How? They've got pretty neat brains, in that they've got a "psionic node". This means that their consciousness is ramped-up a fair amount (making them faster at pretty much everything), though they're far more sensitive to psychic events and pain. Your super-worker could be crippled like a human with the wimp perk. Plus, they've got a special relationship with crystals. There are special psionic hotspots around the map that can produce free, infinite energy, just not a lot of it (similar to geothermal vents). These areas also boost the capabilities of Crystalloids. This generally promoted sprawling bases that took more advantage of the map than the mountain-covered edges or the absolute center.

Neither of these quick summaries, of course, fully encapsulate how much I love the xenohuman mods I've played with or my affinity for the general idea of them. Regardless, they exist in the canon (as I've well layed-out) and have been observed in community content to add a lot to the game that terrain and traits really can't without either going extreme. We don't even need anything too crazy or game-changing, either. A human with brighter hair or more bluish skin than normal could be seen as trivially easy to implement, a gravity dwarf would be a matter of a few new textures and messing with existing numbers (we don't even need more backstories, it's almost certain that a civilization settled on a planet with stronger gravity). If decidng what kind of features you wanted to add to xenohumans was too much, then CHJees's Androids mod does a great job at making a new type of pawn without stretching the realms of believability or imagination.

In summary?
Aliens are cool. I hope you all agree, or were at least enlighted to some information you didn't previously know.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

KozmoD

Boston

Ugh. No thanks.

Foreign human cultures are alien enough, and i dont see the need for xenohumans to be added to the mix. Flesh out the currently HILARIOUSLY-underdeveloped rimworld cultures before adding more shit, please.

Not to mention that the soldiers described in thr fiction primer would be hilariously uneffective as soldiers, but what-have- you.

Kirby23590

I think Gravity-Elves should be called "Tallmen" instead.

Elves or Tallmen are better off at being scientists or artists etc. Since the low-g adapted environments made not only them tall but lighter and also brittle. They are better off in the rims being workers doing the crafting or the cooking and other tasks that are not dumb labor but in combat there better off using long ranged weapons such as sniper rifles in vanilla since in melee or in a firefight they can almost fall down quicker than a colonist with a wimp trait.  But i can see having a tallman working at the colony cleaning or being a cook or crafting masterwork weapons or art.

Designer Mates do not last long in an unrestricted evolutionary environment as said in the fiction primer making them mostly useless in everything except to their partners being completely loyal to them.

Will not get them into my colonies.

Quote from: Boston on May 01, 2018, 06:59:17 AM
Not to mention that the soldiers described in thr fiction primer would be hilariously uneffective as soldiers.

Kind of funny. But i at least i can say that they can tank hits or take a beating out of them making them tanks or punching bags.
I can say that a unmodified human can beat one if it was using a high quality weapon and wearing power armor.

i would use Soldiermorphs to haul junk in the colony though and throw them to fend off raids. Since they make good bullet sponges  :P

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Jackalvin

I've always wanted xenohumans in Rimworld. My modlist has LTF,  Cutebolds, Early Man Races, and stuff like that, in order to have a unique story, and awesome ragtag colonies.
I see the potential in many of these races you suggested, even Perfect Mates
Soldiermorphs:
I keep thinking of a xenomorph in a tank, but sadly that's not what Tynan was thinking. Shame. Anyway, having their blood clot fast and making them real beefy, as well as a higher break threshold, would make them valued members of my colony. Close combat units who don't get one punched by a kobold would be nice.
Grav Elves:
I like the idea of tall, brittle geniuses who can get their ass handed to them by anyone. They would be arrogant (thinking themselves as the elves of legends), but skilled at finer things, like crafting and medicine.
Grav Dwarfs:
Strong armed and livered smallfolk would be cool, and I think it would make mountain bases a even better concept.
Mates:
These are tough to like, in Rimworld they would die fast. However, The Primer said something like "They may seem obedient and naive, but in a harsh environment they lose it quickly. Maybe they can toughen up and do some grunt work, while also providing slight mood boost to everyone in range: maybe even the raiders will hesitate to strike them? (Nah, who am I kidding, all thoughts of mercy went out the window once one of them came back without a left lung.)
Raiders:
Very vague. I wonder what kind. The orky kind or the pirate kind?
Greys:
I can't help but see an opportunity to use hypersensitive pawns to our advantage, like these Greys being able to talk through them and buff them up.
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

Call me Arty

Quote from: KozmoD on May 01, 2018, 01:38:30 AM
Really interesting. Makes me want to draw xenos.

Do it. If you get something exciting enough to grab attention or plausible enough to get added to the game, it could mean a lot, especially if you put it in the art topic for extra publicity.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

Call me Arty

Quote from: Boston on May 01, 2018, 06:59:17 AM
Ugh. No thanks.

Foreign human cultures are alien enough, and i dont see the need for xenohumans to be added to the mix. Flesh out the currently HILARIOUSLY-underdeveloped rimworld cultures before adding more shit, please.

Not to mention that the soldiers described in thr fiction primer would be hilariously uneffective as soldiers, but what-have- you.

Don't you see, my friend? The addition of these xenohumans is fleshing-out the Rimworld cultures. Keep in mind, we're playing Rimworld, not Glitterworld, Urbworld, or Midworld. What do we have from glitterworlds? A couple backstories and some medicine. If we added any number of the engineered xenos, we have more to go off of then just some quality medicine. They'd have foreign ideals, and really look like something out of the rest of the universe. Otherwise, how fleshed-out are those listed backstories without the xenos they mention? "Oh, yeah, there are entire majority-xenohuman planets out there, and they have enough influence to threaten baseline humanity, but it's chill because we don't let them on ships that may veer of-course and onto a remote Rimworld with no hope for rescue."

Also, where do you get the idea that soldiermorphs would make for poor soldiers? I've rarely -if ever- had a soldier that dropped from blood loss or dismemberment before pain just made them fall down while writing "kidnap me" on their forehead. Plus, their obedience probably means no more "I ate some insect meat without a table earlier today, I'm just going to sadly wander into a firing line." If anything, they'd suck as standard workers, since they're mentioned as only being able to eat one kind of food, and suck at anything intellectual.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Kirby23590 on May 01, 2018, 09:14:53 AM
I think Gravity-Elves should be called "Tallmen" instead.
. . .
Designer Mates do not last long in an unrestricted evolutionary environment as said in the fiction primer making them mostly useless in everything except to their partners being completely loyal to them. . .
Will not get them into my colonies.

Now, while I support the "Tall Men" suggestion, I would ask that you withhold judgement on these designer mates. Say we bond them to a colonist, like an animal. They get a relationship, and a massive mood boost. Now that they're obedient to someone, say that colonist ask them to, say, recruit a raider. Picture it: You've been stuck on this Rimworld for years. Even if someone took a liking to you after you returned with some prisoner covered in blood, and even if you did get to see what they have under all the scrap-metal armor, animal skins, and dirt, there isn't exactly an abundance of moisturizer and Brazilian wax kits laying around the Rim. Now, imagine this person with an otherworldly beauty walks into your cell. They smell like flowers, their hair is a fine lavender color, and they have the cutest doe-eyes you ever did see. Don't you think that'd have a better effect on you than the one-eyed guy carrying a rifle and a couple fewer fingers than the average human should have?

-or, y'know, you could just feed them before selling them or their art for some relatively high-price, like the masterwork clothes you have that you don't want to waste on a pawn who's only going to get it all bloody and internal-organy.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Jackalvin on May 01, 2018, 01:31:28 PM

I see the potential in many of these races you suggested, even Perfect Mates
. . .
Greys:
I can't help but see an opportunity to use hypersensitive pawns to our advantage, like these Greys being able to talk through them and buff them up.

Oh, no, these aren't suggestions. As you can read in my book, all of these xenos are mentioned in the game, I simply wanted to raise awareness for them and hopefully get some other people interested.

I like your idea for the Greys. Maybe they've been permanently warped by one of the ancient artifacts we haven't encountered yet amongst all of the mental soothers and psychic shock lances? Maybe they were the first to try contact or colonize one of the ascendant worlds (also mentioned in the fiction primer). If a single shot from a single one of those could put you in a state of bliss or cripple you, imagine what an entire planet made out of that tech could do to change a population?

Kirby23590

Quote from: Call me Arty on May 01, 2018, 03:40:18 PM
I would ask that you withhold judgement on these designer mates. Say we bond them to a colonist, like an animal. They get a relationship, and a massive mood boost. Now that they're obedient to someone, say that colonist ask them to, say, recruit a raider.

Don't you think that'd have a better effect on you than the one-eyed guy carrying a rifle and a couple fewer fingers than the average human should have?

-or, y'know, you could just feed them before selling them or their art for some relatively high-price, like the masterwork clothes you have that you don't want to waste on a pawn who's only going to get it all bloody and internal-organy.

Huh didn't thought of that.

I can use a perfect mate pawn to my weird abrasive or a depressive colonist who lives in the corner but is my only good doctor and the one who crafts high quality items since his pet cat got killed by a raider from a few hours ago and make sure the perfect mate makes sure that he doesn't go in a insulting spree or a worse mental break. ( I don't know if they could take an abrasive colonist's words and not get too upset or something like that. )

And that they have an area of effect that gives a mood bonus similar to the Psychic emanator coming from Jackalvin's idea.

Maybe i prefer fighters or productive pawns or those who could haul things? Maybe i could see if i could get a lot of silver if it's better than selling thrumbo and elephant horns or organs coming from a least favorite raider or colonist.

Quote from: Kirby23590 on May 01, 2018, 09:14:53 AM
Will not get them into my colonies if they appear. for a while... Depending on the situation if tommy the colonist is about to break or something like that. Despite the mood debuff for doing so...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Fieldy409

Arguably don't we already have some of these in game already? Normal pawns but the clues are in their backgrounds they aren't pure humans.

We have vatgrown soldiers and I think I saw a 'super soldier' once. Plus I did have a vatgrown sexslave pawn and genetically engineered prostitute in the same colony once.

Ser Kitteh

Indeed, certain backstories for pawns already imply that they are these, most notable are the vatgrown, organ clone, and super soldier backgrounds. However, like all backgrounds, they are very unnoticeable especially considering most of us have game time in the hundreds of hours.

It would be cool however, to see this as DLC down the line. Considering the amount of robots, aliens and other creative stuff the community has made, having more pawn types with pros and cons would be great.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on May 23, 2018, 06:27:59 PM
Indeed, certain backstories for pawns already imply that they are these, most notable are the vatgrown, organ clone, and super soldier backgrounds. However, like all backgrounds, they are very unnoticeable especially considering most of us have game time in the hundreds of hours.

It would be cool however, to see this as DLC down the line. Considering the amount of robots, aliens and other creative stuff the community has made, having more pawn types with pros and cons would be great.

People (one link of many) have wanted backstories to mean more for a while, since there comes a point when a barkeep and a sex slave could both become the key diplomats of your colony over positions like entrepreneur and counselors due to a passions or childhood hitting the wrong skills. Sure, I can ignore things like the behavior researcher - who is specifically mentioned to have researched canines and other animals - having no bonus "train canine" modifier, or even any animal bonus, it's a whole other thing to completely ignore the blatant mention of Xenos. If you were told that Master Chief didn't like tuna and saw him eating a tuna sandwich, you chalk it up as an oversight it. If the game still had Needlers and Plasma Rifles but no covenant? Yeah, that wouldn't go so smooth.

cultist

You do realize that you are pulling a lot of this from a mixed bag of vanilla and kickstarter backstories right? There's no real coherence between them because they're written by a bunch of people with different intentions, which is one of the main reasons the game's lore is kind of a mess. If you go through enough backstories, there are enough contradictions that none of it make any real sense. Aliens exist and don't exist, xenohumans are common but never seen in the game, medieval worlds are cut off from other planets but also starships land there. Vanilla backstories leave a lot of things vague (intentionally, probably) but many of the custom ones go into detail about things never mentioned anywhere else. Some of them are just straight-up joke backgrounds like the super baby one.

Call me Arty

Quote from: cultist on May 25, 2018, 07:06:42 PM
You do realize that you are pulling a lot of this from a mixed bag of vanilla and kickstarter backstories right? There's no real coherence between them because they're written by a bunch of people with different intentions, which is one of the main reasons the game's lore is kind of a mess. If you go through enough backstories, there are enough contradictions that none of it make any real sense. Aliens exist and don't exist, xenohumans are common but never seen in the game, medieval worlds are cut off from other planets but also starships land there. Vanilla backstories leave a lot of things vague (intentionally, probably) but many of the custom ones go into detail about things never mentioned anywhere else. Some of them are just straight-up joke backgrounds like the super baby one.

Firstly, it doesn't seem like Tynan will add just anything to his game. Credit to the guy, he's lovely, but the Name in Game Access pack isn't doing too hot, lots of people angry about not getting their name in. Maybe he had less of a filter on backstories due to the fact that people paid so much for them, maybe he had a strict one because of how central they are to the game, I can't say because the page isn't up anymore. Point is, Tynan probably wouldn't break his own rules just to make a buck.

I Ctrl-F'd the backstories page for "Super baby" and didn't find anything. If you meant the aforementioned "Abductee" backstory
QuoteNAME was abducted by xenohumans when he/she was still a baby. They experimented on him/her to understand his/her genetic structure.
As he/she grew up, NAME grew a little bit too big and strong for his/her captors and eventually escaped.
Then I think I did an alright job logic-ing that up in my original post, plus, y'know, Captain America expirements'll do that to yah.

Otherwise, you might be referring to the Dreaded Baby backstory.
QuoteNAME was found as a baby in a crashed spacecraft. According to the ship's data records, he/she invented the nuclear device that powered this ship. Apparently, he/she also invented the sky and the hamburger, and is said to have fathered a race of tasty golden kittens.
Nowhere does it say that the pawn actually did do that as a newborn. If anything, it reminds me of a certain world leader.

There's a difference between quirkiness and outright jokes. Fallout isn't a comedy game, it's just wacky at times. In one mission, you're sending a bunch of disillusioned radiation zombies wearing vintage sci-fi space suits into space using old rockets to the tune of Frank Sinatra's "come fly with me." That's goofy. It's not a joke, though. Still a funny part of the game. Then, you get other quests, like attempting to help a female soldier recover from the trauma of sexual assault at the hands of a pyromaniacal cannibalistic fiend. Balance is needed to not make the game a miserable slog or care-free gag-game. That's why G-nome Sculptor has it's place with Labor Camp Orphan.

Oh, and on a final note, the medieval world thing. In addition to the Medival/Tribal worlds having some pretty decent backstories in comparison to their lower weapons technology (a bunch of guys with pulse rifles need slaves, think they're going to a Glitterworld?), those for-the-most-part unprocessed worlds could mean a lot of valuable resources. I know from personal experience as a bunker-lover, I can end-up swimming in steel in the early game, thanks to the fact that some organization with laser drills didn't get there first.

On the finalest note, aliens don't exist in the Rimverse, period. The literal only time you find any mention of "aliens" in any backstory is when it's mentioned in a child's fantasies. Anything else non-human is a xeno, which is just a modified human.