[B18] Medieval World (No Guns/Low Tech) (05/03/2018)

Started by Tamias, May 03, 2018, 09:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamias

"Medieval Worlds: Similar to Earth from the agricultural revolution until the industrial revolution. Social structures are usually feudal or imperial. Planets can stay in this state for millennia."

- Rimworld Fiction Primer

Overview
Medieval World is a world-limiter mod designed as a companion to Vindar's Medieval Times that makes the world a no gun/low technology setting. To keep this mod as compatible as possible, it adds no content to the base game, and all changes to the base game are made through the patch system. These changes are meant to make tribal/medieval game types more immersive, and include (but are not limited to):

- Removal of ancient shrines from map creation.
- Removal of guns from all vanilla factions and traders.
- Removal of all advanced armor except armor vests and simple helmets.
- Disabling the Mechanoid and Spacer factions.
- Disabling the ability of vanilla factions to siege.
- Disabling certain advanced events (pod crashes, psychic/poison ships, ect.)
- Making electricity unresearchable, as well as all technology beyond that point.
- Renaming armor vests to be slightly more thematic.
- Making both the armor vest and the simple helmet craftable at the fueled smithy work station.
- Removal of certain advanced items (AI core, glitterworld medicine, ect.)
- Removal of all advanced body parts (bionic and higher) from vanilla factions and traders.

As stated before, this mod was originally created to serve as a companion mod for Medieval Times. However, Medieval Times isn't required for this mod to function (but highly recommended), so it is entirely possible to play with just this mod alone. But, because this mod removes so much content, and wasn't really designed to act as a standalone mod, it is recommended that you at least play with other mods that fill in the missing content with whatever you like. For example, you could combine this mod with a pre-electricity historic period mod to create whatever historic/low tech game type you wish. This mod *should* be compatible with most mods, and won't affect the weapons, apparel, and factions of other mods provided they use their own item tags. (Even guns)

In addition to the above changes to the vanilla game, this mod also includes patches for a few mods that make them more "low tech" friendly. These include:

1. EPOE (Moved simple prosthetic research to medieval era, replaced electricity requirement from the simple prosthetic workbench with a wood fuel requirement.)
2. Mending: Easy Version (Moved mending research to medieval era, replaced electricity requirement from the mending workbench with a wood fuel requirement.)
3. Concrete Walls *REQUIRES THE MEDIEVAL TIMES MOD AS WELL* (Moved concrete research to medieval era, made concrete slabs craftable at the blacksmith's smelter from the Medieval Times mod instead of the vanilla electric smelter.)
4. A Dog Said... (Moved simple animal prosthetics research to medieval era, replaced electricity requirement from the animal prosthetic workbench with a wood fuel requirement.)
5. Colony Manager (Reflavored managing software research to be more low tech, added a simple research bench requirement, and moved it to the medieval era.)
6. Combat Extended (Too many changes to list.)
7. Misc Core (Disabled both the Railgun and the BrainPal.)
8. Medic Addons (Disabled industrial and spacer medical station add-ons)

Other recommended mods for low tech game types:

1. Medieval Times (My personal favorite mod, and the reason I made Medieval World in the first place. The mod is spectacular, and it's creator, Vindar, is a absolute class act. This one is a literal game changer, and I can't recommend it enough.)
2. Fishing Industry (Adds fishing. Excellent mod in almost all games, but nearly essential for those tribal tundra games where food is extremely scarce.)
3. Simple Sidearms (Allows pawns to carry bow + melee weapon together.)
4. Defensive Positions (Adds the ability to draft pawns to a saved position. This one is a lifesaver for all the micromanagement it takes care of.)
5. No Power Comms Console (Replaces the comms console with a message raven, Game of Thrones style.)
6. Dubs Skylights (Very useful for making greenhouses.)
7. Firepit + Torch Sconce (Adds a fire pit and torch sconce that can be refueled instead of simply disappearing like the regular fire and torch)
8. Bridges  (Not only useful for the bridges, but also allows you to place water tiles for that castle moat you've always dreamed of.)
9. Tilled Soil (Adds buildable soil for growing crops almost anywhere. Pairs very nicely with Dubs Skylights.)
10. Quarry (Adds an excellent end-game electricity free resource mining solution)
11. Misc. Bees'n'Honey (Adds beehives, honey, and brewable mead. Skyrim approved.)

Suggested Load Order:
1. Core
2. Medieval Times
3. Combat Extended (Optional: Greatly enhances all aspects of melee combat. Adds skill based block, parry, and riposte mechanics, as well as fully functional shields).
4. Medieval Times + Combat Extended Compatibility Mod (Optional: Use if you intend to play with both Medieval Times and Combat Extended together.)
5. Medieval World

Download
Steam Workshop
ModDB

License
You're welcome to include this mod in a modpack, provided you give me credit and/or a link to the original post. Other than that exception, this work should not otherwise be distributed, reproduced, or uploaded elsewhere (in part or full) without my expressed written consent.

KWPAllDay

Damn I have been waiting on this for so long! DEFINITELY going to give it a try!

Sebastian Cigar

I don't think I understand the idea behind this mod
the way I see medieval words, it is the society that is supposed to be medieval, not the whole planet. what are the odds of said society establishing its colonies on a virgin world? how did they appear there in the first place if there isn't even a trace of a developed culture's activity? moreover, why should the planet be completely isolated, with no chance of mechanoids or spacers just coming to visit, not emerging from an ancient vault?

Canute

Sebastian Cigar,
why does someone should stay at the medivial era when he will be assaulted by High tech raider or mechanoids.
If you refuse to advance in the technology, you are soon or less destroyed.

Some people don't want to leave the planet with a spaceship, they just want play a colony simulation in medivial era, and this made this mod possible, since it remove any higher tech/faction from the gameplay.

Tamias

@KWPAllDay Hope you enjoy it!

@Canute Precisely. When I first started playing Rimworld, Medieval Times was the first content mod I really fell in love with. The problem was that I absolutely hated roleplaying a medieval colony while still facing enemies with advanced weaponry and armor. Although the combat was unfair, the primary issue was the breaking of immersion. So, I started a mod for personal use that simply removed guns, and it has evolved over time into the mod you see today.

Rift31

@Sebastian Cigar that idea was the reason why this mod was created in the first place, for medieval fans, so stating that here is absolutely unnecessary. Besides if you like you can simply just play with the medieval times without this mod, there you got medieval tech AND advanced tech...

Modraneth

Modraneth

Elixiar

Hey! So happy that finally someone created a mod for this.
Would you be able to make a sister mod where it's only low tech firearms like a western?

Molotovs, pistols, survival rifles and pump shotguns for example? I'd love nothing more that that :D. Obviously all the tech below that still like bows and swords.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Swarx

Does this make outlanders and pirates spawn with spears, bows, etc. now?

also, plz update <3

khaelion

i love this mode for my medieval games. Update please!