Homes, design, and security for pawns

Started by Tober6fire, May 05, 2018, 10:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tober6fire

Hello, I am going to post a picture about the problem I am having in the colony but I was wondering if it would be better to create tables and chairs in each room rather then create a big room where everyone goes and eats it. Also just wondering how big does a room have to be in order to meet the needs of the pawn without creating negative effects if it is too small also I am going to post a picture, later on, to show what I did with the layout of my rooms and if I should change it for any reason. Also how to maximize the security of my area without causing problems with space. Thanks for your feedback

Edit: here is the pictures take in consideration that I am in right now early game stage

also, I still can't find out how to put an image on this site so I am just going to give you the website that has the image of my colony so you can answer my question

https://imgur.com/a/VVwZ0a9 

the second image is a close up of the room set up I have

https://imgur.com/a/SREpDYn
I love stories and I hope that everyone try's to contribute in telling their stories as it is interesting and intriguing to see people connect through the tales they create.

mebe

Having those tables and chairs in the rooms can lead to disturbed sleep (other colonists walking in and using the table). It is also reducing the amount of free space in the room which will impact on the overall score of the room. Overall I wouldn't put tables and chairs in bedrooms.

I notice you have made corridors between the rooms when they could share walls and use vents between rooms to reduce the number of heaters needed? You'd also save on wall material but avoid having colonists walk through a bedroom to reach their own bedroom (disturbed sleep again).

Your layout also puts a dark, constricted and ugly walkway on the route to each bedroom, if you have a colonist on the edge of breaking that can be enough to tip them over.

Generally it seems more effective to have a barracks style hospital as you can avoid your doctors moving much if the medicine is close at hand and multiple people need treating.

It is perfectly possible to play an entire game with bedrooms having no greater size than a single bed - colonists will get a debuff while in the room but their mood doesn't go down while sleeping so if you manage the other sources of good mood to ensure they are fairly content during the day you'll be OK. I only do this on sea ice or when travelling a long distance by setting up temporary colonies along the route.

Canute

You should avoid to build the power conduits on the floor, they reduce the beauty.
Mosttimes it is better the place them on the walls.

You can place the table inside the room, to increase the beauty/wealth of the room, but you should disable them as gathering spot.
Or they cause disturb sleeps like mebe mention.
But i would made nice dinning room next to the sleeping area, where the pawn's gather after the sleep, eat and do some chat.

fritzgryphon

Quote from: Canute on May 06, 2018, 05:58:06 AM
But i would made nice dinning room next to the sleeping area, where the pawn's gather after the sleep, eat and do some chat.

+1.  I make a long dining room and a long rec room, and attach my bedrooms to those.  Even a sparsely furnished dining or rec room is pleasant to be in and give buffs if they are impressive enough.  If it's too early for stone or carpet floors, plant flowers to boost the beauty (12 beauty per tile).  Heat and cool the common rooms only, and put vents to each bedroom.

The wiki has a list of the space thresholds.  http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Space    Remember that all pawns can get the rec room and dining room buff, so those should take priority over bedrooms.

This layout seems to work ok for me:  https://i.imgur.com/9rfIiPR.png  (edit:  this layout can extend the rooms more easily)

Note that if you place a statue in the corner tile of multiple rooms, the beauty gets applied to all those rooms.  A bug I guess.

Tober6fire

Thanks for your opinions and help I also was wondering how far away the coloniest can be so that they can sit on the table instead of sitting on the floor because they are too far away. Just trying to see where the best place to put a dinning room will be.
Also how those the security of the colony affect the mood of the place like if the security is too close together or too tight will it make the coloniest not feel spacious and instead give it a negitive mood?
I love stories and I hope that everyone try's to contribute in telling their stories as it is interesting and intriguing to see people connect through the tales they create.

Seriously Unserious

@Tober6fire The size and luxury of a room depends on each pawn's traits. Traits like Greedy, Jealous, etc will mean they need a bigger and more richly decorated room then your average pawn. Aesthetics are unhappy if their room is too good, so they need a room just big enough for their basic needs and no fancy decorations.

As for the tables and chairs in each room, aside from what others have already said, there are pros and cons to both designs. I won't repeat what's already been said, so other things to consider are that you need your colonists to get along together and meal times are a great time for them to have some friendly chats, which can boost mood a bit, but mostly it improves relationships so they're less likely to get into brawls and hurt each other, taking up precious medical resources on 2 people being stupid, and not to mention the possible down time of 1 or 2 of your precious colonists while they're recovering from the fight.

There's also the added bonus for shared dining in a communal "mess hall", to borrow a naval term here. 2 colonists may fall in love and become lovers. This means they'll want to share a double bed and only take up 1 bedroom. Later, they may even get married, which triggers a big party and a HUGE mood boost for everyone (except maybe someone with the Sociopath trait). The newlyweds get the biggest single event mood boost in the game too, so they're practically immune to mental breaks for at least a week afterwords.

On the other hand, if you have a colony with a lot of anti-social traits, like Abrasive, Sociopath/Psychopath, and so on, they may have bad interactions and grow to hate each other. Fortunately, in most games, those traits are a small minority and the vast majority will benefit from interacting with each other more.

Another advantage to the "Mess Hall" approach is you don't need as many resources to handle your dining needs. The biggest table in the game (I think it's 2x6), can seat up to 10 people comfortably. If you have a huge colony or tend to get a lot of guests, you may need a 2nd big table to handle the potential overflow when you have many guests sharing your table, but basically, that big table and single room will use less wood overall.

As for the layout of the housing, I'd use shared walls as much as possible. Depending on your climate, you may need a central hallway to protect from temperature extremes, as the hallway basically becomes an "airlock" limiting heat/cold loss every time someone opens a door. With the 2x3 layout you've got, I'd put a 2 tile wide hallway between the rooms on the long direction, and romove the short halls on the width. That will eliminate 4 unnecessary walls, and free up quite a bit of wood. You then only need to heat/cool the middle room and add vents to transfer the temperature control to the corners. Or, if you're in a climate prone to massive extremes (either cold or hot), you can modify this to heat/cool the corners and vent to the middle rooms. Just use common sense and observation on what's needed for your HVAC to keep up.

You do NOT want to let your rooms get too hot or too cold, as that triggers the "slept in cold/heat" mood penalty, as well as can lead to hypothermia or heat stroke in your colonists, and that means medical care to get them well again, or even a dead colonist to bury and everyone else being very unhappy about the loss.

In conclusion, community rooms are generally better for your colony. They are more resource efficient, contribute to good working relationships and generally make life better in your colony. The only reason I'd avoid them is if I had a very unlucky roll with the traits and got mostly anti-social pawns in my colony. I also like communal workshops for the same reason, your colonists can chat while they work if their tables are close enough together, which is 9 times out of 10 good.