Better Storage

Started by bartekkru100, May 12, 2018, 10:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartekkru100

Can any of you imagine a 300m2 freezer with chunks of meat, vegetables and prepared dishes scattered chaotically all around the floor or a warehouse with piles of different metals tangled in delicate electronics right in the middle? No? Well, that's exactly you do in Rimworld. So how to fix this bloody mess that are our storage rooms? I have three suggestions:

• Add equipment racks similar to shelves that aleready exist in the game, but with one special feature - they could increase maximum stack size of anything you place on them. It would simulate ability to stack many things vertically on different shelves
  • Remove storage options from furniture and add "Always use shelves" option to stockpile zones. This would force your pawns to put everything on shelves located inside the stockpile zone. This would also eliminate the need to micromanage your equpment shelves by copying and pasting settings over and over again since you would only have one big zone to tweak.
  • To discourage people from storing things the old way later in the game, reduce walking speed on tiles occupied by items and make it so that colonists actually have to search for things that lie freely on the floor.

jasiek0202

Good idea - I often feel like shelves are only there for aesthetics, and I only bother putting weapons on them. If they increased stack size by say a factor of 2 or 3 it would be worth building them in a mid / late game colony. Also it would be nice if stacking weapons, clothes and small items was possible, although I do not know if that is made difficult by those items having different qualities and endurance...
You can't observe a corpse if you've eaten it