Two suggestions that might actually be mods!

Started by MAlgol, May 19, 2018, 12:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAlgol

Been playing now a lot since may 2, when I brought it and there are a few things I miss.
1) I like order and naming things. Would love if there was a way to name a door or a room. perhaps make zones and then give them a name that is shown like districts in City Skylines.
2) Locking doors and giving people access. I find the restriction system as it is a tad confusing. If I ever learn it might seem more obvious but as it is I think it could be a lot better. There is a system to create zones so why not expand on that?

cheers,
MAlgol

PS.
Caravans is beyond me right now. I know how to create them but it seems like they take forever and I never bring enough food. The "path tool" say X days so I bring that much food and then two hex outside they are out. =/

jasiek0202

Your naming suggestion is pretty interesting and it seems easy to implement. In terms of locking doors, you can do something similar with zones - an easy way to stop a colonist going into 1 room is to create a zone that is just that room and clicking "invert" and then restricting them to it.

In terms of caravans, check the "configure" tab when creating them: it is VERY important which direction they exit. IDK how the game decides which direction they exit but it is often the wrong one, causing them to essentially go around your colony before heading off the right direction - and that might be through a whole bunch of nasty 2 day long mountain tiles.
You can't observe a corpse if you've eaten it

Call me Arty

Quote from: jasiek0202 on May 20, 2018, 04:19:07 PM
Your naming suggestion is pretty interesting and it seems easy to implement. In terms of locking doors, you can do something similar with zones - an easy way to stop a colonist going into 1 room is to create a zone that is just that room and clicking "invert" and then restricting them to it.

Might be a tad asinine, but selecting which rooms someone's allowed in sounds a helluva lot less complicated than carving allowed zones out of the map like we usually do now.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Minayato

I agree with your information and think that is good information.

MAlgol

Quote from: jasiek0202 on May 20, 2018, 04:19:07 PM
In terms of caravans, check the "configure" tab when creating them: it is VERY important which direction they exit. IDK how the game decides which direction they exit but it is often the wrong one, causing them to essentially go around your colony before heading off the right direction - and that might be through a whole bunch of nasty 2 day long mountain tiles.
Yes, that i actually thought about. I have been picking mountain regions with mountains and hills around them, guess that adds a lot to the time but i thought it was calculated?

DrAtrocity

I really like the idea of making doors lockable and only accessible to certain friendly pawns.  While doors are by default are "locked" to hostiles, it's really annoying to have your pawns who are already on the brink of a major psychological break getting maxed out on the "interrupted sleep" debuff because visitors/traders are milling about, because your cleaning pawn decides to go clean in their bedroom, or because every character on the map would rather use the table in their room rather than the dining room a little farther away.  I know there are some partially effective workarounds for these issues individually, but not good ones that will ultimately decrease the amount of micromanagement and frustration. 

You could even make it researchable or cost some metal/component to install, would be worth it.  Lock and alarm systems could open up scenario options as well, introducing stealth and subterfuge as an alternative to infiltrating enemy bases (or for them getting into yours) if someone wanted to take it down that route.