Dark under roof outside

Started by Alenerel, May 23, 2018, 07:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

Roof constructed outside will be 0% dark under it, even if its right next to a 90% light outside tile... I think it should "reflect" some light to the under roof tile and illuminate it.

For example, if its a tile right next to a 100% illuminated from the sun, the roofed one should be around 80%, then next one 60% and so on, but at least 2-3 tiles shouldnt be completely dark.

BlackSmokeDMax

Combine that change with the way temperature works in unroofed rooms and that makes it way too easy to exploit indoor farming.

Alenerel

Plants need 100% lit to grow. I said that first roofed tile next to a 100% one receiving light from the sun should be around 80%, which would cripple plant growth a lot. 60% would be directly on par with using a standing lamp... To exploit this you would need large 2-4 tile areas to grow as much as in a normal farm, so I would call this hardly an exploit.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Alenerel on May 23, 2018, 03:35:58 PM
Plants need 100% lit to grow. I said that first roofed tile next to a 100% one receiving light from the sun should be around 80%, which would cripple plant growth a lot. 60% would be directly on par with using a standing lamp... To exploit this you would need large 2-4 tile areas to grow as much as in a normal farm, so I would call this hardly an exploit.

No, they need 100% to grow at full speed. Plants need 51% to grow, except flowers, they can grow with 50% I believe. And while yes having big drop offs would certainly slow their growth rate, it at the same times makes heating the room dramatically easier.

What is your motivation to have the light going less under roofs to begin with? Is this solving some problem I'm not thinking about?

Alenerel

Either way I dont mind if the next tiles are 50% or below lit, it should be just not dark.

The problem that is bothering me is exactly what Im suggesting a solution for. I use to make 2 tile roofs around my base to prevent snow and plants from building up but even at day is always dark. I ended up putting lamps everywhere but they consume a lot of power and it just looks so dumb putting a lamp next a sunny tile.