[B18] Steam World (19th Century) (05/25/2018)

Started by Tamias, May 25, 2018, 09:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamias

Overview
Steam World is a world-limiter mod designed as a companion to the Rimworld Westernization Project that makes the world a 19th century (1800s) setting. These changes are meant to make 19th century game types more immersive, and include (but are not limited to):

- Making post-19th century technology unresearchable.
- Addition of coal as a fuel source for power generation. (Mined from the stone quarry, which requires coal mining research)
- Addition of a coal fueled steam engine dynamo for power generation. (Requires steam power research)
- Replacement of the Comms Console with an electric telegraph station. (Requires electric telegraphy research)
- Removal of ancient shrines from map creation.
- Removal of vanilla guns from all factions and traders.
- Removal of all advanced armor except armor vests and simple helmets.
- Disabling the Mechanoid and Spacer factions.
- Disabling the ability of vanilla factions to siege.
- Disabling certain advanced events (pod crashes, psychic/poison ships, ect.)
- Renaming armor vests to be slightly more thematic.
- Removal of certain advanced items (AI core, glitterworld medicine, ect.)
- Removal of all advanced body parts (bionic and higher) from vanilla factions and traders.

As stated before, this mod was originally created to serve as a companion mod for the Rimworld Westernization Project (RWP). However, RWP isn't required for this mod to function (but highly recommended), so it is entirely possible to play with just this mod alone. But, because this mod removes so much content, and wasn't really designed to act as a standalone mod, it is recommended that you at least play with other mods that fill in the missing content with whatever you like. For example, you could combine this mod with a pre-20th century historic period content mod to create whatever historic game type you wish. This mod *should* be compatible with most mods, and won't affect the weapons, apparel, and factions of other mods provided they use their own item tags. (Even guns)

In addition to the above changes to the vanilla game, this mod also includes patches for a few mods that make them more "19th century" friendly. These include:

1. EPOE (Disabled all advanced human prosthetics)
4. A Dog Said... (Disabled all advanced animal prosthetics)
5. Colony Manager (Reflavored managing software research to be more low tech, and added a simple research bench requirement.)
6. Combat Extended (Too many changes to list.)
7. Misc Core (Disabled both the Railgun and the BrainPal.)
8. Medic Addons (Disabled industrial and spacer medical station add-ons)

Other recommended mods:

1. Fishing Industry (Adds fishing. Excellent mod in almost all games, but nearly essential for those tundra games where food is extremely scarce.)
2. Simple Sidearms (Allows pawns to carry ranged + melee weapon together.)
3. Defensive Positions (Adds the ability to draft pawns to a saved position. This one is a lifesaver for all the micromanagement it takes care of.)
4. Dubs Skylights (Very useful for making greenhouses.)
5. Bridges (Not only useful for the bridges, but also allows you to place water tiles for that fortress moat you've always dreamed of.)
6. Tilled Soil (Adds buildable soil for growing crops almost anywhere. Pairs very nicely with Dubs Skylights.)
7. Quarry (Adds an excellent end-game electricity free resource mining solution)
8. Misc. Bees'n'Honey (Adds beehives, honey, and brewable mead. Skyrim approved.)

Suggested Load Order:

1. Core
2. Rimworld Westernization Project
3. Combat Extended (Optional)
4. Rimworld Westernization Project + Combat Extended Compatibility Mod (Optional: Use if you intend to play with both Rimworld Westernization Project and Combat Extended together.)
5. Steam World

If you have any feedback or ideas, please feel free to leave me a comment on the Steam Workshop or the Ludeon Forums.

Credits and Acknowledgements

- Vindar, for allowing me to use his coal resource system from Medieval Times.

- Iverness, for providing the art for the steam engine dynamo and telegraph station.

Download
Steam Workshop
ModDB

License
You're welcome to include this mod in a modpack, provided you give me credit and/or a link to the original post. Other than that exception, this work should not otherwise be distributed, reproduced, or uploaded elsewhere (in part or full) without my expressed written consent.

Coolphoton

How well dose this work with Research Pal? i know with Midevil World Research Pal would let you research locked techs.

Tamias

@Coolphoton I honestly can't say, but please let me know is you run into any issues. Steam World is essentially a modified version of my Medieval World mod, so it likely has all the same incompatibilities. If that is the case, then I'll be sure to add ResearchPal to both mods lists of Issues/Glitches.

Coolphoton

I have checked, and Research Pal dose allow you to bypass the reserch limiter. On that note, locking the vanilla guns research( specifically blow back operation, gas operation, precision rifling, and muli-barreled weapons) locks out at least one steampunk weopen pack, The Old World. Those researches might be nice to unlock for compatibility, even if everything vanilla from them is locked

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Coolphoton on June 01, 2018, 01:51:03 AM
I have checked, and Research Pal dose allow you to bypass the reserch limiter. On that note, locking the vanilla guns research( specifically blow back operation, gas operation, precision rifling, and muli-barreled weapons) locks out at least one steampunk weopen pack, The Old World. Those researches might be nice to unlock for compatibility, even if everything vanilla from them is locked

Have you tried with Fluffy's research tree mod? Very similar to ResearchPal (Not surprising seeing as Fluffy was original modder of both mods) but has some improvements, like showing queued research list at top. Also allows mouse zooming. May be compatible, give it a shot.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16120.0

Miserable Sketti

Hi! I don't know where else to put this. I've run into a little bit of technical difficulty regarding your mod, if there's somewhere specifically for posts like that.

Canute

Miserable,
when you know it is related to this mod, this topic or if you use the workshop version, at the workshop discussion is the right place.

eumeswil

AmonDaet

I hope someday, someone, will resurrect this mod :(