Defence tactics

Started by Wonky, October 29, 2013, 08:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wonky

1. Make a straight wall between your base and the outside, and make a 2 wide hole middle of it, the enemy is easier to kill when they are piled up.
2. Cover the entrance with sandbags so the enemy moves slowly, but don't place them so that they can use it as a cover (They have to stand on it, so many lines).
3. Place your turrets in an "Arc" Formation and at least 4 - 5 blocks away from each other, so they can shoot the hole from every direction and don't blow up all at once.
4. Place your turrets the longest distance from the hole, so it takes longer for the enemy to reach it.
5. Cover all turrets with sandbags and the spaces between them, so your people and the turrets won't get hit often.
6. You should place long range shooters middle of the arc and short range shooters at the sides, cause the enemy is bound to run either left or right.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Tynan

Don't worry, these tactics won't work for long :)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Wonky

Well they work now so people abuse it :D

GC13

Ah yes, the waffle. :)

Don't get me wrong, I think it's very neat to discover these quirks. I just am really glad to hear that they're not long for this world. Er... Not long for this build.

sparda666

make base inside cave. entrance is a 1 wide corridor slightly longer than the explosion radius of 2 mines. door on the inside. place 2 mines next to eachother so that the explosion radius is just by the door. raiders single file in corridor, clogged up by door. blow em up

Semmy

this build will result in a crying player the moment he discovers the raiders just break through the wall at the sides and wreck everything they encounter d-;
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Wonky

Never had that kind of problem

salt1219

I backed another project that I won't mention by name.
The author was so worried about people making impenetrable bases that he focused on making his game unwinnable and unfun.

I know Tynan that's not your goal, I just hope you don't forget that there's a balance of difficulty and fun and it's easy to end up on the wrong side.

daft73

Quote from: Wonky on October 30, 2013, 04:57:58 AM
Never had that kind of problem

Whilst this may be true, the game is also..not done. ::)
Ideally the A.I., will adapt to such tactics and adjust. Maybe the first, or second raids will fall prey to the base defenses, but later incursions may do better.

A predictable game becomes a game that sits on a hard drive wondering why it's no longer played, I doubt that is the end goal. The challenge is what keeps you hungry, not ..."watch what I can do to always win".  ;)

nerys

its also a wee bit too adaptive. I can't seem to make it through the first battle without losing many of my colonist. so I restarted and prioritized power and turrets and the game just overwhelms me with raiders. worse the stupid colonist just run right out and say "shoot me shoot me" and they won't move away (I want to lock them in their darned rooms and let the turrets do their work at least early on) Grr :-)

The turrets also seem unusually "ineffective" at killing squishy bags of flesh that I can kill with a single shot yet 4 turrents 5 bursting can't kill one in less than 3 salvos? what are the raiders made of? t1000 regenerative metallic flesh ?

:-)

British

So you can one-shot raiders, heh ?
I wasn't aware Tynan had put railguns in the game... ::)

As for the turrets, they are *not* supposed to one-shot anything either, to prevent them from being too powerful.

Balancing is a constant struggle, and it may not be of the highest priority in pre-alpha builds...

ub3rmike

I can't wait to get my hands on a build to test out some defense in depth schemes that I drew up as a machine gun section leader in the Marines. I've noticed from most streams/LPs that defense are based on a combination of canalization and salients or a single defensive line. I feel like the game would be made very interesting by having to deal with such overwhelming raids that you would need to fall back to different phase lines within your defenses. (A single line would be much more easily penetrated and would spell doom for exposed defenders)

SteveAdamo

RussIsWatchinU

Just gonna throw this out there, but there is something that should be implemented. When a turret or structure is about to be destroyed, or explode, you can just sell it, saving people from an explosion and keep more metal than the post destruction would allow. I mean, even if the animation for "I'm gonna blow!" starts, you can still sell turrets. Maybe if something is below 75% health, it can't be sold?

Of course, the selling feature right now may just be a placeholder, where the future versions may require interaction of the colonists. But still something very exploitative to keep in mind.
I'm sure the heat shield will work fine, so let's use that planet to aerobrake! You can totally trust me, I've done it a hundred times! That space simulator wouldn't lie to me on easy, right?

DeltaV

Am I the only one who never does the weird funnel strategy? I like having actual battles on sandbag walls, makes it feel less cheaty.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.