[1.0](WIP) What The Hack?! - Mechanoid hacking

Started by Roolo, May 31, 2018, 04:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on September 20, 2018, 03:34:52 PM
Errr, try 1.

Drills itself tight to mechanoid's outer shell, then allows direct control through neural interface linked to a controller pad, located on the left side of the techno saddle. The seat is lined with devilstrand for more backside comfort. :P

Great work! Reminds me a bit of a throne, which is quite fitting. I mean, if you hacked those machines to an extent that you're able to ride them, you can safely call yourself king of the mechanoids :). Some optional feedback (only do something with it if you agree and if you have time for it) : it could use something reflecting a bit more sturdiness. Right now it doesn't look as if it can handle a lot of beating (although going for devistrand as textile is a great choice regarding this).

I also like the item description you wrote, so I'm also putting that in the mod.

Edit: Question, should I call the mod "Giddy-up! Mechanoids" or "Giddy-up! Battle Mechs"?

Madman666

Glad that you liked it. I was aiming to reflect both hardness and hi-tech by adding plasteel and devilstrand colours, but i see, more something to reflect its structural sturdiness... I have the constructed sketch, so i might modify it eventually, since I plan to revise other two sprites too, once i learn few new tricks in Illustrator.

Might make it a bit more... dunno, bulky or something. I agree it looks hi-tech, but also a bit brittle. Will it be fine for the initial release today?

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on September 21, 2018, 08:13:58 AM
Glad that you liked it. I was aiming to reflect both hardness and hi-tech by adding plasteel and devilstrand colours, but i see, more something to reflect its structural sturdiness... I have the constructed sketch, so i might modify it eventually, since I plan to revise other two sprites too, once i learn few new tricks in Illustrator.

Might make it a bit more... dunno, bulky or something. I agree it looks hi-tech, but also a bit brittle. Will it be fine for the initial release today?

Yes it is fine, even as a definite sprite. But you're always free to improve things later. I've just put it in:

Looks good in-game too if you ask me :)

By the way, I still need your opinion:
"Giddy-up! Battle Mechs" or "Giddy-up! Mechanoids"?

Madman666

Yep, surprisingly not bad. Glad i could be of help and was able improve my skills a bit at the same time. When i finish improved versions - i'll either post them here or PM you for approval. I'll be here if you have further requests as well.

One thing i already see though - i might need to make black outline a bit thicker on it, to be more in line with other module sprites.

Also - hm, Battle Mechs might confuse some people, since you know - MechaSuits'n such. So i opt for Giddy-Up Mechanoids. (mechanoid Edition :P)

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on September 21, 2018, 09:01:43 AM
Yep, surprisingly not bad. Glad i could be of help and was able improve my skills a bit at the same time. When i finish improved versions - i'll either post them here or PM you for approval. I'll be here if you have further requests as well.

Great! And thanks for your work. One last request for your sprites. Could you make sure the black outline is a bit thicker? When you zoom out, the sprites tend to get pixelly at the edges otherwise. Making the outline 1 pixel thicker would fix it. Also, are you aware that sprites should have a 99% transparent black background? This prevent weird thing happening with the sprites in the dialogs somehow.

Roolo

Ah apparently you already noticed, I see your edit now :)

Madman666

There you go.

Edit. Should be fine now.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on September 21, 2018, 09:23:03 AM
There you go.

Edit. Should be fine now.

Thanks!
QuoteAlso - hm, Battle Mechs might confuse some people, since you know - MechaSuits'n such. So i opt for Giddy-Up Mechanoids. (mechanoid Edition :P)

Yeah, I was tending towards that too. It also keeps the door open for caravan support and ride and roll support (which isn't implemented now yet - doesn't make much sense with vanilla mechs anyway). The unfortunate thing is that I already named all my files using battle mechs as name, so I'll have to change everything. But I know I won't regret it.

Roolo

How cool is this. While I was testing the new giddy-up mod, I tested what would happen if directly controlled mechs tried mounting another mech (with an AI implanted or controlled with the belt). Of course it bugged out. But then I thought, we'll why not make it work. This is the result:

Mechs mounting mechs confirmed. Only mechs that cannot be mounted can mount other mechs. This will all be released today :).

rawrfisher

Sounds good just dont forget to remove the debug logs :P
Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know

Madman666

For speed module. Overclocked Servomotors thingy. When you get to it :P

P.s By the way - mechs riding massive mechs is dope as all hell. I kinda fear mech raids now.

[attachment deleted due to age]

rawrfisher

I found somthing even meaner then a  bastion that gets to be used as a mount -_-
Those wolf girls from lost forest are fast and brutal in close combat.  Watched 1 shread a bastion >.>
Professional jerk

Madman666

Heh, talk about being OP. Tearing big ass mechs apart unarmed. :P

rawrfisher

Professional jerk

Madman666