[1.0](WIP) What The Hack?! - Mechanoid hacking

Started by Roolo, May 31, 2018, 04:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman666

Hm. Redid Mech cleaning module. Dunno if this better than previous one?

[attachment deleted due to age]

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on September 21, 2018, 07:58:51 PM
Hm. Redid Mech cleaning module. Dunno if this better than previous one?

Cool! I think I prefer the new one. Though I think the details on the square thingy in the middle are too fine-grained. In-game the details will blur, especially when zooming out.

Quote from: Madman666For speed module. Overclocked Servomotors thingy. When you get to it :P

Nice looking sprite. But again, watch out with making the details too fine-grained. A good way of testing if the level of detail is right is to distance yourself from the screen a bit, and see if you're still able to distinguish the details. ]

I really appreciate that you're helping out :D

Madman666

Yeah, i know what you are talking about. Rimworld isn't that finely detailed usually. Its my own habit really, i like it hi-res and neatly detailed :P First time i tried Illustrator the hauling sprite came out i guess more rimworldy cause i was limited in detail amount. Now after picking up a few other tricks i can fit it more details without it turning to crap in 64x64. Though as a result it might fit vanilla Rw a bit less.

Also, i just do it for funzies and training anyway, so if something doesn't really fit the bill - please don't hesistate  to say it and pick something else over my art - i don't mind constructive critisism at all, more than that - i appreciate the advice, since i do plan to mod myself, once i get good enough at spriting and c# both.

That low-detail thing might be gone by 1.0 release though. Newly hired larSyn artist for Rimworld as far as i can see prefers to put as much details as  I :P

Bobisme

This looks like a sweet mod :)
You've said that B18 is no longer maintained, understandable, but it is fully operational yes? :)
like, if i used this on vanilla B18, it would all work ? :) :)
:)

rawrfisher

Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know

Bobisme

i installed it, i swore i saw an image showing a  large amount of research required to get the mechs fully operational but here i only see 3 options, can you tell me if that is due to B18 or has the research been refined, i'd be spewin if i didn't get the 'full' experience with this mod :D

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on September 22, 2018, 09:36:39 AM
Yeah, i know what you are talking about. Rimworld isn't that finely detailed usually. Its my own habit really, i like it hi-res and neatly detailed :P First time i tried Illustrator the hauling sprite came out i guess more rimworldy cause i was limited in detail amount. Now after picking up a few other tricks i can fit it more details without it turning to crap in 64x64. Though as a result it might fit vanilla Rw a bit less.

Also, i just do it for funzies and training anyway, so if something doesn't really fit the bill - please don't hesistate  to say it and pick something else over my art - i don't mind constructive critisism at all, more than that - i appreciate the advice, since i do plan to mod myself, once i get good enough at spriting and c# both.

That low-detail thing might be gone by 1.0 release though. Newly hired larSyn artist for Rimworld as far as i can see prefers to put as much details as  I :P

The thing is that when the sprite is in-game, you often zoom out a bit, and detailed things that look good in 64x64 at full zoom will start to look fuzzy when zoomed out. I just tried it with your sprites, but to my surprise the fuzzyness isn't as bad as I expected, especially for the speed module. I think that's because your sprites do have clear outlines, so even if some details are lost, they still look pretty good. Here's how it looks zoomed out a fair bit:

So yeah, I think it's fine like this, but it's still something to keep in mind.

Quote from: Bobisme on September 22, 2018, 12:15:57 PM
i installed it, i swore i saw an image showing a  large amount of research required to get the mechs fully operational but here i only see 3 options, can you tell me if that is due to B18 or has the research been refined, i'd be spewin if i didn't get the 'full' experience with this mod :D

The B18 version is a quite a bit older than the B19 version and because it isn't maintained anymore it misses quite a few updates. It doesn't have nearly as much features and isn't balanced as well. It's still fun as it is, but just not as deep as the B19 version. It doesn't have upgrade modules, and misses many other things, but the basic hacking is there. The description on the original post should be clarified a bit to reflect this.

Bobisme

Thanks for the heads up mate, think i might just have to update my game :D

Madman666

Well, outlines are basically for that - keeping nice form in zoomed out state, I ll keep it in mind though. Also i ll make a test dummy mod, to see how my shiz looks like in game easier. It will certainly come in handy as now i just kinda zoom out in editor soft to check if its fine. Thanks for the advice. Glad its usable. Feel free to ping me up if you need me to try assembling something else.

HSneak

Is such thing normal ? "Could not resolve cross-reference to Verse.ThingDef named WTH_MechanoidChip (wanter=thingDefs)"

Got many of those in hugslib log : https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/afca0a46b7a330472e02a35da39c6cc9

EDIT : I use many mods (clearly from the output log)

EDIT 2 : whoops, I think it's not your mod that's causing it, it's Giddy-up Mechanoid patch (not sure though, since I saw WTH and immediately thought of this), can you confirm plz ?

EDIT 3 : Fixed the thing by deleting the Config folder and letting the game generate a new one (surely broke after changing some load orders & loaded mods), so nevermind :)

Adkkid

I found a pretty significant bug. When using the Long-Range Mineral Scanner tuned to mechanoid parts, I've been using it for a while with nothing found, until suddenly I heard a bunch of dings and notifications of new parts appearing kept showing up about once a second. Around a dozen, I tried drafting the colonist working on the scanner, which stopped it, but when they went back, it went back to discovering more very rapidly. Switching the target to normal components caused one resource to be found, and then stop queuing up new ones, resuming normal work. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help debug further.

Roolo

Quote from: Adkkid on December 17, 2018, 04:53:50 PM
I found a pretty significant bug. When using the Long-Range Mineral Scanner tuned to mechanoid parts, I've been using it for a while with nothing found, until suddenly I heard a bunch of dings and notifications of new parts appearing kept showing up about once a second. Around a dozen, I tried drafting the colonist working on the scanner, which stopped it, but when they went back, it went back to discovering more very rapidly. Switching the target to normal components caused one resource to be found, and then stop queuing up new ones, resuming normal work. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help debug further.

This is fixed in the latest build. Mind that this is the WIP thread. Since this mod is already released, please use the up-to-date thread found here for reporting things: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=44082.60

damienm

robot wont sow modded crops, is this a known issue or a load order one . VGp crops

rawrfisher

Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know