[1.3] [KV] ModSync RW

Started by Kiame, June 01, 2018, 12:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwistedSoul

Hey Kiame,

I was planning on adding support for ModSync RW to GlitterWorld Prime,

However, I host the downloads on my own GitLab Server.

I notice there is GitLab support but the URL is hard coded to the official GitLab hosting.

So I looked at using "Direct". Again I was met with defeat since "Direct" is actually more of a "Redirect" in the sense that ModSync RW doesn't actually perform the download in this case, but instead redirects the user to the URL provided, which kind of defeats the point of automated mod version control if the user has to download loads of individual ZIP files.

I considered writing my own Host which implements IHost but seems kind of a waste for a single mod to add an additional host, unless you don't mind having a few additional hosts that is.

Kiame

I came from the approach that it's safer for the end user to know what they're downloading as it would be easy for bad actors to include viruses if everything was hidden.

Direct should work in all cases, what exactly isnt working?

TwistedSoul

I understand your reasoning and it's working as you intended, but consider:

• Any of us could make a mod with malicious code, whether they download the ZIP directly or not.
  • If we did write malicious code, Even Steam wouldn't detect it and prevent it from being uploaded or the user for downloading it
  • They should have antivirus installed which would detect known viri during download and as it's being written to disk
  • It's at the users discretion what they download.
It'll just make it a pain for the end user and the honest mod makers if they can't just click "Check for updates" and have ModSync RW download the new version automatically.

Is this something you would perhaps consider? Cheers, TS.

Kiame

I would consider it and it shouldn't be too hard on the file manipulation end. The main problem i foresee is the download location would have to stay static between versions

TwistedSoul

Yeah, I completely understand,

Most of us tend to put it in URLs like http://somesite.com/some_mod/releases/some_mod_B18_latest.zip anyway so that's fine.

If you do end up implementing it, you can just pop a warning message to say:

"Hey listen,

By updating this mod you realise the risks of downloading files over the internet.

Don't blame me if it goes horribly wrong.

By pressing OK, I assume that you have reviewed the source code and you trust the mod author isn't about to screw you over,

Have fun, Love Kiame."

Brrainz

Much better concept than before. All my 9 mods will support it as soon as 1.0 comes out and my rw1 branches get merged into master.

KinKade

Is anyone else having the issue of not all your downloaded mods showing up in modsync?  For example I have 18 mods in my "mods" folder, and only 7 that show up in modsync.

Kiame

If any are steam version they will not show up. Also not all mods have added modsync support, it's up to mod authors to do that.

KinKade

so if a steam version exists the manually downloaded one from github etc wont show up?

5thHorseman

Quote from: KinKade on August 16, 2018, 08:01:09 PM
so if a steam version exists the manually downloaded one from github etc wont show up?
If you installed the Steam version it won't work with ModSync. But this doesn't matter because you presumably wanted Steam to manage the versions.

If you installed the non-Steam, zipped-up version of a mod with ModSync in it, whatever the mod maker put in the link will show up.

At least, that's how it works for my mod that is both on Steam and my local drive (not GitHub) and uses ModSync for the non-Steam version.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

tile7

Hi.
I have modsync installed, and I tried everything to get it running, but I cannot find modsync button if there is any, and cannot possibly get to the update mods screen. It is b19 version, and rimworld marks it as correct version green. Tried moving it up and down the modlist, but still cannot find how to get to the update mods screen.

Canute

tile7,
the ModSync button appear at the main menu, left of the Mods button.

If you don't have it, you should try to deactivate all mods beside Core and Modsync and check if it work.
If it doesn't work, i think something is wrong with the installation or the downloaded version.
I guess you download the Master from github page and not the Release version. The Master don't include the Assemblies, then it can't work.

tile7

Yes, I downloaded master. Thanks a lot Canute.

Fluffy (l2032)

Ah, now we're talking! This is going to be a much more sustainable concept. *cough*I told you so*cough*

Would it be worth having a discussion about what information should be stored in a manifest (e.g. modsync.xml)? This would be a good place to potentially store dependency information, as well as hints about load order. I'm talking about something akin to what Factorio does; example. Obviously, without a centralized repository dependencies are always going to be fuzzy, but that shouldn't stop us from trying.