Wild animals not scavenging?

Started by Beyondfubar, June 04, 2018, 10:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beyondfubar

Been playing a while and love the game but one thing kind of stands out: wild creatures avoid dangerous situations as much as possible in real life.

Since this game can and does simulate damage remarkably well, why not leverage that to model predator hunting being more of a last resort?

My map's warg and bear populations ought to eat previous kills before making a fresh kill.  Building upon that, for the first few games I avoided removing wild animal kills because I saw the complexity of the system and automatically (incorrectly) assumed that predators would defend these as their property.  Perhaps that would be a good implementation?

Either way if there is a mod that does this I'd love a suggestion, and to sandwich this post between compliments, this is such a great game that I can't believe it took me this long to find it. Amazing!

O Negative

I've seen predators eat from the same corpse multiple times. It's just a matter of how fast the predator gets hungry and the weather lol. If the corpse rots, even a little, the predator would rather make a fresh kill than eat that garbage...

Adding AI for the animals to "guard" their food would be interesting. I don't know how often opportunities to interact with that system would be.

Part of me wishes the little ponds that spawned on maps made more of a difference. It'd be neat to see animals congregate around those haha.

Yoshida Keiji

There are game design flaws everywhere. In regards of animal behavior, a good improvement very much needed is to split prey from predators. Have you guys seen wolves lurking in the middle of a deer herd? Rats passing by elephants and not being noticed not the slightest? Have you guys seen snakes pass touch range between monkeys and the macaques just chilling like if nothing is wrong? Animals need to interact with each other better...

That way...when a predator gets hungry...large herds moving away shall signal the presence of threat that many people seem to be unable to handle...

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41671.0

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37786.msg386809#msg386809

In my opinion people who complain about predators had never played on harsh biomes where scanning your map for food becomes a daily check purely out of survival...and the fact that checking for predator in temperate forest is just the reverse gameplay of the former... I will never understand this people...

cultist

A lot of real-life predators don't scavenge unless they have no other option. Instinct drives them to make a fresh kill when possible and eat as much as they can right away. Scavengers that also regularly hunt are the exception, not the rule.