[Mod Request] Monster Hunter Rim-World

Started by Nilokka, June 05, 2018, 08:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilokka

In recent months, nothing has been done about the magnificent MHW. Unfortunately, I was not lucky enough to be able to play one of the previous titles in the MH saga, but after trying the last game just released, it was love at first sight! I noticed many aspects that could fit perfectly in the RimWorld style:

1) The monsters: obviously, one of the important features of MH are creatures. All creatures. Big and small. Flying, creeping (This part has not been translated well by google), amphibians etc.

2) Weapons and armor: another important feature. Think of the possibility of being able to craft equipment from the resources obtained from both monsters and minerals / natural resources. Try to imagine the myriad of objects that can be created by combining the elements of RimWorld with those of MH. There will be lots of weapons that will bring a whole new style of play.

3) Elements and abilities: every creature possesses the abilities and the elements that characterize it. Some examples are the ability of a monster to blind / stun, damage or wipe out enemies with a conical, circular, side or direct effect area; Immunity to fire, frost, poison etc. ; Sudden movements through different modes of movement such as flying or crawling under the ground and emerging from another part of the map.

4) Hunting lands: to make it faithful to MH, monsters have to present themselves in different biomes and areas. This feature of the mod would justify the use of caravans even more and make the real hunting concept realistic.

5) Training and breeding [OPTIONAL]: this part could play an important role in the mod, since it could open many roads towards the usefulness of the monsters that meet and can be a good compromise to remember that the main game is RimWorld. However, it could make hunting an alternative and not a primary choice (remember that the Monster Hunter theme is about hunting these monsters).

6) Research Part 1: the use of materials and the knowledge of the various projects can not be known instantly and therefore their discovery requires a lot of research.

7) Research Part 2 [OPTIONAL]: unlike regular RimWorld searches that require knowledge of a previous research, MH searches must also be unlocked by killing and / or obtaining some objects. This would make hunting a way to progress scientifically.

8 ) Close encounter and traces [OPTIONAL]: (can be understood as the continuum of point 4) the monsters are hidden. As soon as you arrive on this planet, the settlers do not know very well the fauna and the flora of the place and therefore they are forced to look in the various biomes to study their traces and with the luck of being able to meet the monsters and take into account their "habits" to be able to find them easily. The close encounter is valid for materials and plants.

9) Agriculture and farming in general Part 1 [OPTIONAL]: plants and materials  in MH grow naturally in specific biomes (some of these grow in all biomes) and can be harvested. Since searching for materials outside your own colony is a very complicated concept in RimWorld (sometimes also considered an obstacle), you can make sure that certain materials can be "farmed" by facilitating the collection and use of them. without being "forgotten" by the player who is willing to progress easily his colony.

10) Agriculture and farming in general Part 2 [OPTIONAL]: as mentioned in the previous point, "plants and materials grow naturally in certain biomes". Since "farming" is somehow also "natural", certain materials can be farmed in certain biomes. This feature can stimulate the creation of other colonies in order to obtain a source of resources otherwise difficult to find and to create a kind of internal trade that will deal with the exchange of resources between the colonies, making them more "strong and solid" and to build a real planetary empire.

11) Felyne [OPTIONAL]: although I am disappointed with this point, I can not help but give a chance to the integration of the famous teammates of the hunters (and this thing could make the most passionate happy). Felyne can help combat simply by attacking, poisoning, paralyzing monsters or healing and empowering their allies. Armor, weapons and gadgets can make your fellow mates a true "thorn in the side" for monsters. NB: the Felyne will be considered as ANIMALS; making them a playable species will nullify their purpose. However, if you prefer to have cats as settlers, I suggest you use Diana Winters' "Orassans" mod (they are not really cats, but they are still well done :D).

12) Factions Part 1 [OPTIONAL]: as many well know, in MH there are no rival factions, but only hunters and monsters. Right, but how can we give the opportunity to players who do not want to search and create, to have the objects / materials of the mod? With the orbital trade? Meh, it would be too trivial and easy. Thus, the possibility of being able to meet this faction of merchants could be the answer. Merchants are NEUTRAL and can only make friends by trading with them. Do not worry, they will not try to attack you ... if you do not attack them first!

13) Factions Part 2 [OPTIONAL]: make friends with merchants can come in handy: more items to exchange / buy, possibility to take advantage of discounts (temporary or not) and more frequent caravans passing through your colony; of course, the situation is contrary if your relationships are not the best. Of course, theirs is a faction that does not attack the colonies, but could make sure that many products will not be treatable and those sold will force a lot more. NB: the faction of the merchants will defend themselves if they are attacked and if the relationships fall too much, they will not show up anymore and there will be no more the possibility of being able to deal with them.

I apologize for my english, unfortunately google translator tries to do his best. I hope these points can be a starting point for a mod that will be in the mind of all RimWorld players. I await your answers and your opinions in order to make this mod a fantastic reality and not just a dream of mine. If you have any ideas to add, do not hesitate.

Nilokka

I thought of other points that could enrich the mod more:

14) The revenge of the Brawlers: how many times the game advised us to use weapons at a distance to be able to hunt and at the same time not to use the brawlers? Every single time, but not anymore! Do not you have guns and rifles? Is the bow better than a "giant sword that inflames enemies"? PFFF ... true hunters are not afraid of close combat!

15) Factions Part 3 [OPTIONAL]: the presence of different factions in MH style can balance the game in terms of equipment. Let's make sure that only these factions possess objects / weapons / materials of mod.

16) Factions Part 4 [OPTIONAL]: (this point is valid if point 5 is "active") we assume that there are different factions in the MH style. It would be a bit 'trivial if they were provided only with the mod equipment, right? Then we revolutionize the system of "relationships": we can obtain the respect and admiration of one or more factions if we kill or train monsters. Careful though: not all factions agree on your choices. If you win one, you'll lose another one because some factions agree on hunting and some on training.

17) Capture and Extraction of resources from monsters: hunters will be able to extract resources from the killed monster without having to take advantage of the slaughter table. Obviously, the thing will be balanced: "slaughter" the monster on the spot will give less material than when it is slaughtered on the table. There will also be the possibility of being able to capture the monster just like in MH, which will then be slaughtered on the table in order to obtain much more material than the monster's corpse. NB: "slaughtering in place" will be the initial option since carrying a monster is not like carrying any prey and the capture of them will only be available later.

18) Events: random events will be integrated (depending on the narrator and the chosen difficulty) which will mainly concern the journey of your caravans. Imagine that you have captured a monster and suddenly free itself, or a sudden attack of monsters (small) etc.

Nilokka

More ideas!  :D

19) Knowledge and encyclopedia: As in MH, it will be possible to visualize an encyclopedia to consult the information regarding the various monsters encountered. At the beginning, the information will be minimal (if not absent) and the only way to obtain it is through "Knowledge". We are not talking about scientific knowledge (research), but about hunting knowledge. The knowledge of a certain monster can be obtained by studying its traces, killing them and collecting the materials he has obtained. Great, but what do I need the information of a monster? The information is useful to understand what are the weaknesses of a given monster, which weapons and bullets are effective and which elements can help to kill him. Also, if you have enough knowledge, you can know where on the world map you can find a specific monster.

20) Age: the age of a monster represents its strength and its "rarity". The older the monster is, the stronger it is, but it provides more materials with a greater chance of finding the rarer ones. To know the age of a monster, you must have a certain level of knowledge of it. If you do not have enough knowledge, the age will be shown as "? ? ?".

Nilokka

I think Monster Hunter is not interested in anyone. Do not get me wrong, I do not say you have to love him, in fact, even the negative comments are good for me. I created this post to propose a mod that adds new things to enrich the game and increase the hours of play that a person can dedicate them. We can discuss it freely on the points proposed by me and you can do it too (I will do a single post where I will include all the points that we have chosen). However, indifference is what kills a project, what kills a mod. Try to understand me: if a person tells me that what I'm doing sucks (always constructively and not offending for free), I can "take" what he does not like and IMPROVE it. Without someone's judgment, we will never know if what we are doing is right or wrong and we will leave the project to rot in the "depths" of the forum.
PS: read 228 times, 2 answers from me, 0 from someone else. :'(

Roolo

Your posts contain a bunch of nice ideas. The problem is however, implementing all this (even when skipping the optional things) is a huge effort. A modder would need to put tens to hundreds of hours into it. I think modders that are involved in this game enough to take up such a big project are already swamped with their own ideas, and barely have enough time to implement even a small fraction of their ideas. So the best possibility to see this happening is to try modding it yourself. Even without any experience you can get quite far if you're motivated enough to learn new things.

The mod proposals that get implemented most by modders are the tiny ones that with minimal effort improve the game.

Nilokka

Thank you for your reply :D
Actually, I was not referring solely and exclusively to the modders, but to the whole community of this forum. However, I am ready to take the path of programming, as I am passionate about the subject. I will do a search for tutorials in my language (Italian) or in English.
I thank you again for the advice and I am pleased that the ideas I have proposed you like :3

Roolo

Nice that you're giving this a try!

What's good about your proposal is that it's divided in separate steps/modules. This allows you to focus on 1 step each time, and have a nice product already before the entire thing is finished. I'd begin with the simpler steps that don't require any C# coding but only writing XML and drawing art to get used to the modding process, especially if you're not familiar with programming yet.  Good candidate first steps for this are:

1) The monsters (requires XML writing and Art)
2) Weapons and armor (requires XML writing and Art)

And after those steps you can do:
6) Research Part (requires only XML writing)

The Rimworld wiki contains all the info you need to get going: https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Modding_Tutorials. And if things are unclear, you can always send me PMs, or join the Rimworld Discord, where there are more people willing to help. After you created some monsters and weapons/armor you'll either hate modding, or you'll love it. If the latter is the case, you may be motivated enough to look into some c# coding tutorials to be able to make the other things possible. It seems daunting at first, but if you're persistent it'll become easier soon, and you'll be amazed with what you'll be able to do.

By the way, the Rimworld community has become a bit quiet on the forums now (with the exception of a couple of dedicated users), but you can expect more interest once you start implementing and showing real stuff. I also expect that Rimworld 1.0 will blow some new life into the forums.

Good luck!

Nilokka

Ok, let's say I'm getting more and more familiar with the creation of the mod. The part of programming is quite simple since it is about logic and intuition, but the "artistic" part is a nice problem for a person who, like me, can not draw with the mouse (for that matter, even with the pencil lol) ). Therefore, I would like to know if anyone can help me with this last part. The reason for this request is that I spent 2 days trying to figure out how to "model" a Rimworld-style MH weapon and the results are bad :s