[Request] Spawn custom Characters later in the game

Started by Azzarrel, April 05, 2018, 03:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azzarrel

I really like playing with carefully prepared Pawns, which either are designed based on characters from my favorite games, series or movies or are just some own creations.
However, having too many colonists on game start changes the 'earlygame' in some unpleasant way, so it'd be ideal to have a mod that spawn prepared pawns through events later in the game.

Recently I created 2 female Colonists, which were supposed to be sisters, but since i forgot to add the relation, I spawned a new pawn with the debug menu, set him as parent for them and used the 'destroy'ed him, so he was missing. In a later event, the same guy with the same backstories was chased by some bandits, which means pawns from relations are stored somewhere. 

Can a mod use relations to spawn custom pawns with a special event?

KozmoD

I wish that Prepared Carefully let add custom pawns into the game to appear randomly. Imagine how fun it would be to make a specific character be a rival of another one and he appears on a raid. The story telling intensifies.

MisterVertigo

I like this idea. When you start a new game and you can enter the names of characters you want to see you could put in your custom-made Prepare Carefully characters. I could make a player pool with all of my friend's names like I do in XCOM 2!
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Azzarrel

I've looked into the files a little and it seems PC saves pawns in the same way as the game saves missing or dead pawns. If someone can find the event responsible for 'respawning' missing pawns, it might be able to spawn PC colonists.

I have only a very basic understanding of C#, but maybe I'll try to take a look.

Bolty

Yes, this is something I've wanted to do too. Would make for more interesting stories, I think!

Hikitsune-Red

After several failed attempts to make a Harmony Patch to allow pawns to be spawned into the WorldPawn pool, I was inspired by this post to create a mod that cashes in on the Debug menu's "Destroy" command.
Utilizing similar functions, I have made a mod that will add Pawns to the WorldPawn pool after game start.

You can find it in the Releases section.