Energy for sell

Started by PerrytPL, June 06, 2018, 01:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerrytPL

Hi Tynan, Hi community! I don't know if that idea was already posted in past, but I think it would be cool if player could sell stored energy. For example you could build big solar panel farm equiped with a lot of batteries and gain additional silver for selling collected energy to other colonies, or orbital traders.

Now in case of "carrying" energy in caravans, we could have something like Energy Container (object) that could hold for example up to 1000 Wd of energy. In addition, with having these energy containers colonist will be able to gain energy from batteries to these containers and store them in stockpile like every other item.

OFWG

+1, at this point it'll probably have to go into a mod but I like the idea.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Andre27

I mean a battery already is that energy container, you can uninstall it and even move it to different maps and it'll retain it's stored energy, all you'd really have to do there then is add a value to energy and then you can just sell uninstalled batteries for their base cost + stored energy cost or something. Or you could just have it where trade caravans coming to you aswell as orbital traders will simply drain your batteries for the sold energy and you take batteries with you if you want to caravan and sell to other towns (or those towns also syphon energy and you're left with drained batteries). Or some sort of mix, where some caravans/towns want only the energy, and others want the batteries aswell. Could also buy in the same way.

Alenerel

You mean like... Chemfuel or wood? They can be inserted in a generator already.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Andre27 on June 06, 2018, 06:02:15 PM
I mean a battery already is that energy container, you can uninstall it and even move it to different maps and it'll retain it's stored energy, all you'd really have to do there then is add a value to energy and then you can just sell uninstalled batteries for their base cost + stored energy cost or something. Or you could just have it where trade caravans coming to you aswell as orbital traders will simply drain your batteries for the sold energy and you take batteries with you if you want to caravan and sell to other towns (or those towns also syphon energy and you're left with drained batteries). Or some sort of mix, where some caravans/towns want only the energy, and others want the batteries aswell. Could also buy in the same way.

This. Pretty cheap to implement to, just make it so that the selling price of a battery changes depending on how much energy it is storing. And it should probably change by a lot too, considering that batteries can actually store quite a bit of energy.

Call me Arty

I could see it as needing a special tag, though. Leathers for clothing and furniture will understandably be useful for everyone, but energy's different. Would tribals or orbital traders pay the same for it, despite the fact that one of them has no use for it and the other has a ship's generator already powering things?
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Call me Arty on June 11, 2018, 07:14:08 PM
I could see it as needing a special tag, though. Leathers for clothing and furniture will understandably be useful for everyone, but energy's different. Would tribals or orbital traders pay the same for it, despite the fact that one of them has no use for it and the other has a ship's generator already powering things?

Well for orbital traders it makes sense (they could sell the energy to another impoverished colony on some other rimworld) but with tribes you do have a point. Though, I thought that tribals already had a mechanism for trading items that they had little use for? Don't they pay less for things like guns/advanced technology?

Klomster

Most traders don't buy a lot of things.

Like how Bulk traders don't buy guns.
Selling filled batteries is an interesting prospect, would give batteries an added value to weigh out the short circuit event.
Sure, i use batteries anyway, it's a good gauge of power usage and it gives redundancy. For that eclipse of when your wood is out again.

But i think power trade is a cool concept, and the sellable batteries is the easy implementation of it.
It would be fun to have a energy transmission device thingy as well, which spacers could use to buy your energy as well.
I guess the easy way to do it would be a massive battery with inbuilt trade beacon. I'm thinking geothermal size.
Then traders who'd want it, could buy the energy in the thingy. It would have a charge rate and stuff. Possibly with things one could build around it to boost it, charge rate, storage whatever.
Wouldn't work roofed. Or at least wouldn't be able to sell to orbit.

I'm just tossing out ideas.