Animals and food

Started by Ruptga, June 10, 2018, 01:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruptga

Nope, this is not another animals eating drugs rant, though that's certainly related.

I just had a husky walk past no less than 3500 pemmican, about as much butchered meat, and several dead boars in my freezer.  He went all the way to a separate stockpile in the back corner where I had a colonist on ice, waiting for me to find a resurrection serum, and ate her.  Several hundred kibble and even more pemmican were just to the side of the freezer as well.

Why?  Seriously, why?  Basic food priorities should not be hard to implement, and even without those they should be eating what's closest to the door.  I live with dogs and am familiar with the brilliant ideas they sometimes have, but this is ridiculous.

Epishade

It should definitely be implemented in vanilla.  But in the mean-time, the WM Smarter Food Selection mod does exactly what you're looking for if you want to use that.

Yoshida Keiji

Very nice cautionary tale, it could have happened to me too. I have never considered that and now thanks to you I learnt something. I would however, rename the thread title for future reference to something like: Pet eats frozen colonist awaiting resurrect serum.

Klomster

I agree, some of the priorities seems taken taken directly from stupid land.

Like i have a food shortage, fine. I manage to kill a monkey.
"I will eat the corpse!"
No, stop, we're making meals. Now butcher.
"I will eat the meat cuts!"
No stop, we're making meals, now cook.
*Ten million colonists arrive*
"We will eat, the cuts!!!!!!!!"
NO, WE'RE MAKING MEALS!!!! Now stand in line.
Great, i've managed to make meals.
"I'm still eating the cuts, the meals are far away."
Yikes.
"Now i'm sad, why haven't you made cooked food? ;_;"

Or similar things.
It would be nice if the colonists needed to be actually starving to consider raw cuts, or even human corpses for that matter.
For the moment, it's common for colonists to go grab some frozen corpses just because the cook hasn't been able to keep up lately. (probably because of being sad he had to eat raw food) And half the colony refuses to cook for some reason.

It's great that the colonists consider corpses, hunger can be a powerful thing.
But it shouldn't be.
"Meh, i'm a bit hungry. The hunter haven't hauled his kill back yet, and the cook is depressed. I'll just go and eat my dead wife :)"

Ruptga

Quote from: Klomster on June 14, 2018, 02:11:49 PM
It's great that the colonists consider corpses, hunger can be a powerful thing.
But it shouldn't be.
"Meh, i'm a bit hungry. The hunter haven't hauled his kill back yet, and the cook is depressed. I'll just go and eat my dead wife :)"
;D Right?  It's a great feature, it just needs some polish.