[1.2] LabelsOnFloor: Draw the names of rooms & zones on the floor

Started by falconne, June 11, 2018, 08:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

falconne

Draws the names of rooms, stockpiles and growing zones as labels on the floor, like Prison Architect does.

Features

• Names are drawn on the floor, so they will not obscure items and furniture on top of them.
  • Rooms can be renamed using a button on the 'Architect -> Orders' menu. Use a blank string to reset.
  • Colour, opacity and size limits of labels can be configured in Mod Settings.
  • The names of rooms come from their role. Rooms without a role don't get a label, for now.
  • Stockpiles will draw their name.
  • Growing zones draw their plant name, unless the player renames the zone, in which case that is shown.
  • Labels will be shown along the bottom edge or left edge of a room or zone, whichever has the most visible tiles.
  • Mod can be added or removed from any save and should not conflict with any other mods.

Notes

• For now this only works in English (or any language using Latin letters without accents).
  • The placement of labels is not always the smartest; the logic will improve in future updates.
  • Rooms containing zones will show the zone names, but not the room label, as the mod is not yet smart enough to avoid the labels clashing. I will fix that in a future update.

Configuration

• Disable the display of room labels or zone labels, if you only want one type displayed.
  • Customise maximum size of text.
  • Configure minimum size below which a label will not be drawn.
  • Configure furthest zoom level at which labels will be drawn.

Subscribe: Steam Workshop
Direct Download: Github Release

Source Code: Github
Licence: GPLv3 (free to do what you like, just give me credit).

GendutJr

Kubouch

Great idea! It would be cool to have the option to rename everything (even stockpiles).

As a side note, some time ago, I made a function which trims unnecessary vowels from a string to fit into a given number of characters. For example

VowelTrim("Building Materials", 13)

would output "Buildng Mtrls". This fitting is used in Dwarf Fortress. I just remembered this when I saw the "Building Mats" which is probably to shorten "Building Materials".

Also some of the fonts seem quite huge (Kitchen). It might be worthwhile to limit the maximum font size (in the mod settings). The above trimming method would help keeping the font size big enough in case of a too long name.

How does it look on small zones/rooms (like 1x1)? Maybe limit the label drawing above some size?

These are just some random thoughts, without actually testing it.

The Real Soviet

Nice mod! Before i started to play Rimworld i played much Prison Architect, so i will instantly download this :)

sidfu

instead of a mod opton to disable a icon u ccan hit ingame would be better.

falconne

Just done an update with some quick changes based on feedback:

Configure label display in mod options:
  * Customise maximum size of text.
  * Configure minimum size below which a label will not be drawn.
  * Configure furthest zoom level at which labels will be draw.

Kirby23590

Nice! ;D

I also played Prison Architect even if Rimworld is very much a different game.

Useful for telling me which is the stone chunk dump pile and which is the potato farm and healroot farm!

Downloading it!

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

falconne

Just done another update. This time I made the text black by default, instead of white, to make the labels more subtle.

You can switch it back to white if you prefer, in the Mod Options, as well as configure the label opacity.

falconne

Done another update: Rooms can now be renamed using a button on the 'Architect -> Orders' menu.

MisterVertigo

Quote from: sidfu on June 11, 2018, 12:19:50 PM
instead of a mod opton to disable a icon u ccan hit ingame would be better.
I just found this thread, and this mod looks really great! I have to agree with this post that a button to toggle this on and off would be perfect. Put it down in the bottom-right corner where you toggle viewing zones, roofs, etc.
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

falconne

Quote from: publicuser on October 20, 2018, 07:28:56 AM
not support Chinese?

Only English for now, sorry. The labels are created using images for the letters, so it will be some effort to support other languages.

publicuser