Mutilations are too common, suggestions

Started by Alenerel, June 11, 2018, 09:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

Mutilations are too common. Always losing a leg or an eye or an arm or a finger... it doesnt matter if it was a squirrel or a pistol or a club... How can a club even remove a nose or a finger?

My suggestion has two parts. First increase the HP of every part around 20-30%. Parts just get destroyed too easily.

The second part consists on being able to heal removed/broken parts. For example, a nose. If you get clubbed until it gets destroyed to 0, it should still be healable. Everybody can heal a broken nose. The same goes for ribs.

The argument is the same for scars. I know that scars could realistically happen irl and are very common, but in the game scars are not visual, just damage+pain. They are too common and not healable.

There is the problem about cutting damage... I still thing that the parts nose, jaws, ears and ribs should be healable even in 0/10 when cut, even if its nor realistic, cause these kind of injuries are just too common. At year 8 of my colony nobody has ears, ribs or noses, someone lost his jaw. Even if takes 1 quadrum to heal a broken nose, it should still be healable.

Fingers are ok to lose some from time to time, it can happen, and a shot finger cannot usually be recovered irl, its also not that bad that leaves your pawn useless. And worst to come, you can always replace the arm with a bionic one. Before someone tells me, I dont like to have pawns with FULL bionics, meaning full not arms/legs/eyes, but modded jaws, ears, stomach... Even a goddamn bionic anus.

Note that these suggestions are not just cause "it happens irl" cause for scars it would a counter argument, but to improve game play. When you get raided you dont only risk losing a pawn, even if you keep all of them and play correctly and win the encounter, you still risk a lot, losing eyes, arms, hands, etc, and most of these cannot be recovered. Right now, a correctly handed firefight means almost surely losing a part or having a scar.

cultist

I really like the basic level of stuff that Organ engineering enhanced or whatever it's called offers - eyepatches, ear bandages, steel hand, wooden foot, glass eyes etc.
Stuff that could relatively easily be incorporated into vanilla and isn't OP because it only dampens the bad effects of an injury, it doesn't fix them outright.

I absolutely hate the "disfigured" debuff - it's adding insult (literallty!) to injury when a pawn isn't just crippled stat-wise from injuries, but socially as well. The only saving grace is that it doesn't seem to have a direct effect on trade prices that the trader doesn't like you.

Kirby23590

If something that needs to be fixed is how easy it is to attack or to remove a bodypart via with a club or a pistol.

Instead why not make it easier for the other parts like the torso or legs get hit? I don't like loosing fingers or a toe and somehow the penalty is very bad when manipulating like shooting things or movement speed.

I think armor of all the things not just armor vests or power suits to do the thing of lowering the changes of loosing fingers and arms. Something like gloves or shoes to help out those bodyparts from becoming removed by a dude with an shiv or a manhunter boar.

This is why i would download a mod that adds prosthetics or bionic limbs like Oragn engineering or EPOE. And since you can't replace a spine when it gets shattered, then you're outta luck or you need a mod to add a replacement spine.

Quote from: cultist on June 11, 2018, 10:06:05 AM
I absolutely hate the "disfigured" debuff - it's adding insult (literallty!) to injury when a pawn isn't just crippled stat-wise from injuries, but socially as well. The only saving grace is that it doesn't seem to have a direct effect on trade prices that the trader doesn't like you.

I agree. It's absurd!! Like -15 of all the things that make abrasive pawns look like somewhat jerks. Now everyone is a jerk to Greg because he has a scar in his face and his Lover broke up with him for that it makes them look like they all have the abrasive traits in them! At least masochists have no problem with scars and it's actually good for them.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

jamaicancastle

I'd like if there was a little bit of a buffer in terms of capacities. Like right now, if you have an arm with 40 health (or however much it is) and it takes 4 damage from a scar, its efficiency drops by 10%, so your manipulation is permanently reduced 5%.

Instead, I would make the first 10% or so of the part's HP a "buffer". So the first 4 points of damage on the arm don't do anything, then your manipulation scales down from there. Likewise, if you have a finger that contributes say 10% of your manipulation, the first one you lose doesn't have any permanent effect. This would keep serious or stacking permanent injuries meaningful, while making occasional scars less punishing.

Klomster

I've tried the bionics mod, and i agree that their simple prosthetics should be in the game.

Like the wooden foot, or metal hand.
Since it feels absurd if my guy loses his foot, but then i have to amputate the rest of the leg to add a peg leg?
Bionic leg still is good for whole leg, it's not like bionic foots will sell as well as bionic legs and the creators won't bother with simply foots.
And more importantly it would clutter up the interfaces and item types.

As for injuries i agree some areas should have higher hit chances.
It always feels stupid when to people are fist fighting, and the wounds go.
"Left index finger, right middle toe, left eye, right shoulder, spine." Like what? How does this even look? It's some crazy acrobatic fighting that's what it is.

As for OP.
Your suggestion for healing destroyed things is not realistic. Since a destroyed nose is not broken. It's torn right off. Gaping hole, that sort of deal.
One does not just heal that right up. It's gone.

I fully agree with the scars though, way to common, way to detrimental.
Sure, a scar will hurt the first few months or so. But the pain should lower with time.
Using my appendix removal scar as an example. That one hurt like the first month or so, but now. I don't even recall it that often.
And i am rather sensitive to pain, that scar produces no pain.

I might be wrong in what a scar in rimworld is though.
It might be a very large and deforming lack of tissue, which doesn't produce the scars i think off IRL but large patches of scar tissue.

As for crushing damage not being able to "cut off" fingers IRL.
Take your finger, take a hammer, smash the finger as hard you can.
This would crush the bone in the finger, making the finger useless and splintered, the muscle would be severely damaged and the tendons would not be able to bend the finger since there is no bone to bend.
The finger needs to be amputated. The finger is 'destroyed'.
Makes complete sense.

But it still happens way to often.
Like the cobra that bit off the arm of one of my colonists. Kicker. He was also wearing power armour.
The more part HP is an ok suggestion, but i think the big one should be differential hit location chance.
More angled towards torso, head and arms legs. Not the digits.

Edit: Also, enable peg legs and wooden feet on colony animals, it just scars my soul not to be able to fix poor ol' barky up to snuff :(
Or perhaps even a cloth tail. Or wood.

Alenerel

Ill just quote myself:
QuoteNote that these suggestions are not just cause "it happens irl" cause for scars it would a counter argument, but to improve game play.

It should be a balance between "makes sense" and gameplay, but favoring gameplay. For example, having scars with 0 damage would make no sense, tho its what happens most of times irl, but in the game all scars have damage.

Injured Muffalo

I had a guy who lost his nose in a social fight.  ::)

Also very common to lose fingers in social fights. I don't think these things should happen unless firearms or the like are involved.
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

AileTheAlien

Quote from: Klomster on June 14, 2018, 01:59:30 PMAnd more importantly it would clutter up the interfaces and item types.
The extra body parts wouldn't provide much clutter, if they did it a bit like the leathers in the game. Just like there's generic leathers, and some specific ones like bear leather, so too could there be a mix of generic and specific replacement body parts.
- partial limb (works on toes, fingers, feet, and hands)
- peg leg
- arm
- bionic eye
- bionic ear
etc