Change the solar flare to only turn off half of electronics

Started by Epishade, June 11, 2018, 05:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epishade

The solar flare as it currently is, is quite a boring game mechanic.  There's nothing you can do to prevent it and it just happens and you have to wait it out.  If it lasts long enough, bye bye freezer food.  I sure hope I don't get raided during a solar flare where every single turret is powered off.  I know that plenty of players turn it off.

If instead it only knocked out half of your electronics, that would at least introduce a more interesting gameplay aspect to it.  Depending on how many coolers you have running, your freezer may just survive!  And then only some of your turrets got shut off, so that raid right outside your door may be held just barely with the remaining turrets and pulling some pawns to come help.

Yoshida Keiji

No. Two things:

* Convert your raw food to Pemmican.
* Do not depend on Turrets.

cultist

My only beef with solar flares is that Cassandra seems to be programmed to combine them with raids - thankfully it's rarely perfectly timed, so turrets tend kick back in right in the middle of the fight.

Mechanoids and solar flares though... either the combo should be extremely rare, or the flare should have some detrimental effect on the mechanoids as well. Fighting those things without any turrets is a nightmare unless you cheese it with huge trap mazes - which is pretty much just an AI exploit.

jamaicancastle

Personally, what annoys me is it doesn't act anything like an actual solar flare. Clearly it should burn out all your power conduits and all your electronics should break down. (Or some of them, at least.)

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on June 11, 2018, 08:37:11 AM
* Convert your raw food to Pemmican.
* Do not depend on Turrets.
"Don't use electricity" seems like a very unappealing "workaround" for solar flares. It would be nice if they allowed some counterplay that actually let you use the nice things Tynan puts in the game.

Freeasabird

Add a rubber technology, find rubber plants er whatever and convert it into a new rubber resource use said rubber to insulate many of your electronics so that it will at the very least mitigate power outages.

OFWG

Quote from: Freeasabird on June 15, 2018, 04:51:31 AM
Add a rubber technology, find rubber plants er whatever and convert it into a new rubber resource use said rubber to insulate many of your electronics so that it will at the very least mitigate power outages.

Actually rubber would insulate electronics from direct electrical contact but wouldn't do anything for an EMP / solar flare. You'd need some kind of a metal farraday cage to protect the circuits, which would actually be pretty sweet.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Injured Muffalo

I would prefer solar flares to be more focused. Right now they turn off EVERYTHING. Even charged batteries and light bulbs go off; solar flares suspend the laws of electromagnetism in addition to disrupting electronics.

They are also no fun. You just have to sit around and wait while your food spoils. And they happen, like, regularly. Granted who knows what's going on around this planet, but by Earth standards, it's a real epidemic.

I would even suggest something like disabling the console and power generation only, but make solar flares last longer. Or, I don't know, something with an upside somehow. Your plants could grow faster or what-ever.
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.