Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oblitus

Quote from: NotTheMattGuy on July 17, 2018, 04:53:08 PM
The other "You NEED these skills on crash landed!!!" arguments seem weak. You're not supposed to have a "good" start, you're supposed to have an interesting story. If you do not struggle at all, it's sort of silly. The fact that people are capable of doing Naked Brutality + Extreme + Any storyteller + Random pawn + Ice Sheet/Random start and several achieving modicums of success show that you can pull off some very interesting stuff with creativity.
I know how to play on high difficulty with an unbalanced crew. I can play NB Extreme Random with decent chances to pull it off. But it's not a fun type of struggle. It is boring, tedious and frustrating at the same time. I want to fail due to my own mistakes, not by getting RNGed and not because of deliberately poorly implemented mechanics.

Quote from: DariusWolfe on July 17, 2018, 05:43:55 PM
Dude, that's what the lower difficulties are for. I deliberately chose a scenario beyond Naked Brutality, but played it on Phoebe Medium, and am thriving. I'm not even that good of a player; at best, I'm middlin'. The basic Crashlanded scenario with medium or lower difficulty should still offer basic challenge for those who want to build a big base.
This is what lower difficulties should be, not what they are. In fact, unless it is "peaceful," difficulty barely changes gameplay.

user was warned for this post in combination with a pattern of unnecessary hostility in earlier posts. Rule 2

Franklin

Quote from: Greep on July 17, 2018, 10:35:33 PMEh, this whole new prisoner system is kind of ridiculous. 

Pre-1.0:  no resistance, extremely low expectations. 
current: takes a week before you can even start recruiting, and they're whiny bi%^&es

Main issue is that in the beginning of the game, you're forced to spend time you don't have building a snazzy prison because even the low expectations is going to hurt, and towards the end of the game, prisoners usually start out with about -50 from mind shattering pain, being imprisoned, seeing a bunch of their friends die etc.  So it's just a recipe for unstoppable berserk every prisoner.  If this hits live, chopping prisoner legs off while be standard practice, not a joke.

There's ways of going around that, but I just think a total reversion of the expectations part is best imo.  You're already forced to making a somewhat decent prison just to make the resistance process go quicker, which already feels punishing.

I like the extra character details with prisoners, but I mean at very least all prisoners should start with 'Extremely low expectations' buffs. I don't think anyone gets dumped in a cell and thinks eating without a table is unconscionable.

EvadableMoxie

Why is it a bad thing that you need to invest resources into recruiting prisoners if you want to do that? It makes sense to me.

Early on when the colony is still small you'll be getting drop pods, slavers, and wanderers.  So you don't have to.  But even so, a 5x5 wooden room with a bed and some furniture gets a room to decent.  It's not exactly a massive resource sink. 

Dashthechinchilla

What I love about Rimworld is that no two players play it the same way. Thanks for keeping it interesting.

Randy rough. I started a crash landed with four  chosen from 8. Mods are skylights and memorable aurora. I just wanted to try the aurora one. I started on a flat 40/60 temperate with two roads and a creek. I am in my second winter.

I play frugal so my raids are small. I have 8 colonists. Two others died. One to on infection from a social fight and the other because I forgot that a colonist had grenades during a manhunter event.

I have seen a lot of raids. They happen about every 10 days unless randy is in a mood. It feels like it is much more difficult to build faction relationships than in the visitors mod. As a frugal player I try to keep only what I need on hand to keep my wealth down. I don't always have a lot to trade. The raiders themselves usually come at about equal strength to me. My two best constructors were the ones that died, so defenses are usually impromptu. I focused on the greenhouse, after nearly starving to death the first winter from cold snaps and heat waves. I have noticed that the outlander factions are better geared than the pirates, which makes them more dangerous.

I have a few new game play twists I need to adapt to. The importance of armor means I need to put it on before a fight. However plate armor takes forever and the enemy is often at your gate if they attack immediately. There is a lot of research to get done and armor to make before the difficulty ramps up. Food poisoning is frequent and devestating to food suplies. That is why I almost starved the first winter, everyone puked up the nutrition I could find. Even with metal tiles I have to keep the kitchen almost spotless the whole time my cooks are in there.

Greep

I already do that early game and prisoners occasionally go berserk for various reasons.

Right now with moderate expectations my prison barracks is gorgeous with 5 high level statues, lighting, flooring, and comfy beds.  And if they get sick from infection which is common for prisoners, they might go berserk.   That's just silly.

What if i didn't have an artist?  Do I seriously need to buy high end statues to stop berserking prsioners?   ::)

And what if I have to move my prisoners due to sappers or something (which happened earlier this game).  Instant berserk.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Sirsir

Were meteorites nerfed? I've gotten 6, one was silver, 5 have been stone, and only 2 of those have been a stone that isn't in the map already!

Boboid

Quote from: Oblitus on July 17, 2018, 10:44:55 PM
Quote from: DariusWolfe on July 17, 2018, 05:43:55 PM
Dude, that's what the lower difficulties are for. I deliberately chose a scenario beyond Naked Brutality, but played it on Phoebe Medium, and am thriving. I'm not even that good of a player; at best, I'm middlin'. The basic Crashlanded scenario with medium or lower difficulty should still offer basic challenge for those who want to build a big base.
This is what lower difficulties should be, not what they are. In fact, unless it is "peaceful," difficulty barely changes gameplay.
<difficulty>0</difficulty>

<threatScale>0.10</threatScale>
<adaptationGrowthRateFactorOverZero>0</adaptationGrowthRateFactorOverZero>

<difficulty>1</difficulty>

<threatScale>0.30</threatScale>
<adaptationGrowthRateFactorOverZero>0.25</adaptationGrowthRateFactorOverZero>

<difficulty>2</difficulty>

<threatScale>0.65</threatScale>
<adaptationGrowthRateFactorOverZero>0.75</adaptationGrowthRateFactorOverZero>

<difficulty>3</difficulty>

<threatScale>1</threatScale>
<adaptationGrowthRateFactorOverZero>1</adaptationGrowthRateFactorOverZero>

<difficulty>4</difficulty>

<threatScale>1.5</threatScale>

<difficulty>5</difficulty>

<threatScale>2</threatScale>

Yeah you're right. There's virtually no difference between the difficulties.
It's not like on Extreme the raids are 3x larger than on medium before factoring in anything else. No that'd be ridiculous and contrary to the notion that you're being personally persecuted by a game trying to stomp all over your fun.

If you're playing on medium and you're feeling overwhelmed then just lower the difficulty. The game isn't broken if you want to play in a way that the game supports but aren't able to because you've picked a difficulty that's too high for your playstyle!

And before you get hung up on the notion that the game becomes easier in ways other than raid size and how you don't want that - That's not a particularly hard thing to change. Open the appropriate def file and just edit it.
You yourself already play with mods in 1.0, as insane as that notion is to me. It's the logical equivalent of a baby step.
Good grief.

The way any game depicts its difficulties and the way they're implemented is incredibly complex in of itself - but it's completely overshadowed by the whopping great problem of people being completely incapable of choosing a difficulty that will maximize their enjoyment.
It's a ridiculously complex sociological and psychological clusterfuck and I can't imagine trying to solve it without dashing my head against a passing truck.

Imagine being a zookeeper, watching someone jump into a piranha tank and stick their head into a lion's mouth simultaneously - And when you tell that person that they might enjoy their zoo experience more if they removed their head from the lion you hear a muffled  " But that won't stop my feet hurting ".

I'd describe myself as a Cynic but it's hard when people literally can't act in their own self interest :P

----
Quote from: Greep on July 17, 2018, 11:36:36 PM
I already do that early game and prisoners occasionally go berserk for various reasons.

Right now with moderate expectations my prison barracks is gorgeous with 5 high level statues, lighting, flooring, and comfy beds.  And if they get sick from infection which is common for prisoners, they might go berserk.   That's just silly.
What if i didn't have an artist?  Do I seriously need to buy high end statues to stop berserking prsioners?   ::)
And what if I have to move my prisoners due to sappers or something (which happened earlier this game).  Instant berserk.
That's... not quite the experience I'm having with prisoners. - I usually just convert a bedroom into a prison whenever it's required these days as dedicated prisons are often unnecessary and well... this is the result
https://imgur.com/a/KxtQmTh

That jackass just tried to escape with a brawler in the room while he's got muscle parasites but.. pain aside he's perfectly happy in that cell.

I think "Instant Berserk"  might be overselling it a bit.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Greep

Eh, your dude had 2 rivals die and no friends die.  If that was the other way around you're looking at regular berserking.  And if his wife/husband died in battle or if he's got negative traits?  You're gonna have fun.  This really just doesn't feel right.

MineTortoise:
HELLO!

Jstank

I'm getting a weird bug now where my colonists are going to haul random forbidden rotting corpses to put in a stockpile that forbids rotting corpses. They are going right into a freaking bug cave to get them and there is no way for me to stop them from going in there except putting it into a disallowed zone.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Boboid

Quote from: Greep on July 18, 2018, 12:02:26 AM
Eh, your dude had 2 rivals die and no friends die.  If that was the other way around you're looking at regular berserking.  And if his wife/husband died in battle or if he's got negative traits?  You're gonna have fun.  This really just doesn't feel right.
Did you actually look at the numbers associated with those effects? +8 for 4 days as a result of rivals dying.
Here.. Just.. look at this. Cleared his wounds and parasites and gave him a -10.
https://imgur.com/a/hL0CuqA
And he's still -12 from being hungry!
Being imprisoned is -5.. five.
That's the only difference between a colonist and a prisoner. Five mood.

If they've got negative traits then.. okay.. but they're going to have those traits when you recruit them anyway.
I could even move that guy into a cell that's close enough to my psychic emanator.. but I'm not.. because it's totally unnecessary.

You're making it out like prisoners are unmanageable balls of nerves who'll crack at any moment but.. the reality is that they're almost indistinguishable from standard pawns.
Frankly I'd argue that they're pretty easy to keep sane given that they spend all their time in one room which you can decorate to the rafters if you so choose.
Bang a prisoner in a room with enough beauty to hit max and that's +15 mood all the time.

Edit: actually you know what to save time here's an example of how bad it needs to be if your prisoner is in a high quality prison : https://imgur.com/a/7pmM3fw

-40 and he's still not going to break.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

Greep

Eh, not worth arguing, made my point and I doubt it's staying so I'd just be cluttering the thread at this point.

MineTortoise:
HELLO!

Boboid

Well.. it's certainly an improvement when compared to cluttering up the thread by lying about "-50 mind shattering pain"

You might as well have said "I don't like tennis balls because they were invented by Ghandi!" and when you were presented with evidence to the contrary your response was " Well it's not worth arguing about because I've made my point and tennis balls aren't long for this world!"

Dunno about you but I prefer my opinions to be at least loosely based on reality :P

user was warned for this post

Edit: Fair enough.

Tynan

Glad to see the back-and-forths are ending.

Generally a lot more productive just to respond to the build as you experienced it, rather than responding why another user is wrong. I'd like to keep the back-and-forth to a minimum here, please just write your observations/experiences and think twice before commenting against another user's perspective.

Internet arguments: The only winning move is not to play.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

anitram

Hello everyone!

Played yesterday's build for about an hour, three things I noticed:

1. cloth armor had some re-balancing, almost everyone was in tattered apparel.
2. was something done with the graphics? It seemed a bit sharper (or did I finally sober-up from the World Championship and I see clearly now?  :) )
3. fires, fires everywhere... in 2 weeks I had 2 Dry thunderstorms and my entire map was burning at one moment, to the point where the game started lagging a bit. Almost fried a friendly caravan arriving. I've seen fires from dry thunderstorms before, but nothing like this. I didn't screenshot, but if it happens today also, I'll post a pic.

Also, fun thing happened. I got a "Siege" warning. My base is placed near the left end of the map, which is also the side from which the siege-people were arriving. I instantly drafted all of my pawns (14) and rammed them into the arriving siege. Killed them on entry, before they even managed to set-up, only 4 of my pawns got minor damages.  :)

Jibbles

Quote from: anitram on July 18, 2018, 01:15:33 AM
3. fires, fires everywhere... in 2 weeks I had 2 Dry thunderstorms and my entire map was burning at one moment, to the point where the game started lagging a bit. Almost fried a friendly caravan arriving. I've seen fires from dry thunderstorms before, but nothing like this. I didn't screenshot, but if it happens today also, I'll post a pic.

Fires sneak up on me in 1.0. lol They usually don't become this huge wildfire like previous versions, so they are easier to manage IMO. I tend to underestimate them and shrug off hoping they burn out by itself but what happens sometimes is that this small patch of fire will slowly spread to other areas for the next day or two. Anyways, firefighting is not as bad as previous version IMO.

The rain doesn't always put them out, but prevents them from spreading.  (intended?)