Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbqftw

Quote from: Madman666 on July 18, 2018, 02:33:59 PM
Oh, you get -36 drones at some point of gathering enough wealth now, how cute. Didn't quite make it to those yet. Why not -80? It d be fun to watch a colony screw itself over couple days if you didn't have enough foil helmets for all your people. Although... that was high drone level right? That means you probably can get enough wealth to get to extreme level (at least psychip ships used to have extreme level).

A subtle nudge with a baseball bat to the guts, that you might wanna stay poor if you wanna stay alive.
psychic hypersensitive at highest psychic drone intensity is indeed -83 mood. And you thought you were joking!

Of course there are ways to deal with it outside of foil hat. All might be considered gamey by certain game dev standard. :)

Madman666

Quote from: EvadableMoxie on July 18, 2018, 03:12:39 PM
Just happened to me again.  Fun times are ahead. I only have one foil helmet, so uh, the boys are going to have to share.

Well thats kind of bs event. Chuggin yayo to combat -48 drone is a recipe for even worse disaster with it being capable of just oneshot addicting people. And i really don't see me having like 10-12 foil helmets for my 26 people.

I understand having increasingly strong drone on psychic ships, since it basically punishes you for not destoying it fast enough. But this is just punishing you for having too much wealth. Yet again. And managing such drones with 20+ people is a massive pain, with forcing hats on everyone and feeding yayo to unlucky ones, that don't have a helmet. Screw it, i am disabling it in my save. Tying an event we mostly don't have any control over to wealth level. What a nice idea.

Greep

Another year or so on arid desert.  General activity:

Large threat: Sappers (~16) vs ~10
Losses: 1 death, some construction
Ugh, my joywired dude who was just about to kick pyschite addiction got shot in the brain down to 4/10, which killed him due to the withdrawal joywire.  Non-turret focus has a big weak point before you  get fully kitted out with power armor and charge weapons

Large threat: Infestation (~12 hives)
Losses: Arm chopped off
Managed to actually deal with like 50 bugs with only 5 fighters in power armor, using 3 v 1 melee backed with two shooters.  I was kinda hoping I wouldn't aggro 90% of the infestation, as it was literally spread across 50% of the map, but I did.  Infestation aggro still confuses me.

At about this point I start building cannons anyways.  Main reasoning is I want to do some caravanning and it's kind of suicide without extreme fortificatino on randy.  They are, however, on hold fire by default until I seriously need them, to save on steel so I can buy plasteel instead.

Large threat:  Randy Raid spiral (tribals + 1 day later psychic ship w/4 centipedes and ~20 other + 1 hour later 38 wargs)
Losses: 1 death, 1 guy had BOTH arms lost.

The tribals ended up getting completely downed by a combination of the trap corridor and the caravn trying to leave.  No interaction on my part.

Sometime soon after a psychic ship lands and unfortunately, right before I'm about to pop it, 38 wargs show up so they didn't fight each other.  20 wargs make it past the traps and chew off a guys arm.  One guy had chemical fascination and was binging on drugs  right at the fort entrance.  Tried to arrest him very quickly and ended up accidentally killing him  ::)

Psychic ship itself wasn't too bad as I had mortars up.  A bunch of centipedes made it through the traps, ended up with a dudes OTHER arm blown off by the sniper turret when his shield broke.

Threat:  ~12 drop pod outlanders
Losses: Brain damage 5/10, arm shot off
Ugh.  drop pods.  When people think "fun" and "rimworld" they all think drop pods right?  Anyways, some priceless sculptures were smashed, and since it was close quarters I had to melee them, resulting in someone getting brain injury.

Personal thoughts on fighting vs cannons:  eventually you end up getting enough steel that you should build turrets anyways.  however, in the beginning the melee + power armor is very good for quelling small threats.  Later the acculation of brain injury means fighting melee is insane, so at that point you may as well have cannon fire support.

[attachment deleted due to age]
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

MoronicCinamun

Quote from: Tynan on July 18, 2018, 07:24:34 AM
New build!

Of note in this build is the translation cleaner tool. This tool updates translation files and inserts the English data for reference. It'll make translating much, much simpler. Translators, please use it! It's on the main menu when a non-English language is selected.

Raw changelog is below. As always, the changelog is here for reference, but posts in this thread should please revolve around play experiences and ideally state the storyteller/difficulty and include screenshots of the "debug" history graphs.

Still lots to do!

---

Reduce death-on-downed chance.
Tune up quest rewards slightly.
Adjusted population/storyteller tunings.
Spear rework. Reduces its damage, gave it special armor penetration, recoded how stab damage interacts with internal organs (it no longer specifically targets organs unless you hit some external part that contains those organs). Adjusted mechanoid melee attack tools.
Fix: GrammarRequest.includesBare not cleared in Clear()
If non-English language is selected and GrammarResolver fails to resolve a text, we now try again with English rules.
Mechanoids now have some internal body parts and capacities to go with them.
Refined and condensed social ability-related stats.
Tuned health and coverage of some body parts.
Adjust probability of talk topics.
Scale down stone chunk art to 64 pixels.
Misc adjustments: -Reduced minimum adaptation factor. -Removed imprisoned mood debuff thought. -Rewrite armor rating description to be clearer. -Corpses deteriorate slower. -Overlapped watermill power 50% -> 30%. -Mortar min range now ends in .9 so the circle looks nicer. -Flak jacket now insulates like a cloth jacket. -Adjust prisoner resistance. -Adjust mental break chance per time. -Default auto rearm traps to on. -Rename Char ITab to Story.
Adjust animals' manhunter chances and speed.
Removed unnecessary SelectLanguage() from TranslationFilesCleaner.
Fixed minor translation files cleaner issue.
Enabled the "cleanup translation files" button.
Made NormalizedHandle() use white-listed characters instead of black-listed.
TranslationFilesCleaner now keeps comments in full-list injections.
TranslationFilesCleaner now also handles backstories.
Translation placeholders now use TODO symbol instead of an empty string.
Updated the "cleanup translation files" dialog text.
Fix: No missing def injections are detected if no injections of that def are defined.
TranslationFilesCleaner improvements - it now handles full-list injections correctly. Fixed some translation issues.

Not that I should claim sole credit, especially with the stabbing mechanoid issues, but this is the second time my feedback was almost immediately incorporated, really makes me feel good :3

I'm absolutely going to try out the new spears (well, might have to mine some more plasteel first ;)
I dare say best dev interaction I've ever had!

bbqftw

Re: super drone

There's cryosleep as an option, though of course with some peoples luck they'll eat a drop pod raid right after

I might be responsible for this when I suggested that psychic drones should be scaled to be weaker early and stronger late.

These aren't the numbers I would have quite picked (probably go 15-30 range), but maybe I am contaminated from actually playing the game :( it is of course better to pick numbers completely isolated from any practical scenario

Madman666

Scaling every single thing to wealth isn't a way to make the game interesting. Its a way to make the game short. Especially since some events just don't have a reliable counter and end up as "screw you for no reason" thing.

EvadableMoxie

And we're through.

Lost 1 muffalo to a slaughterer break (a male, thankfully), and had to imprison a colonist that tried to leave so he's got a mood debuff for a week. The pulse soothe helped.  It didn't stop the breaks, but it made them mostly mild ones.

Greep

There is the flip side that scaling by wealth makes extreme biomes sometimes easier than easy biomes.  I generally find them boring as no crops/hunting usually mean sitting around twiddling your thumbs until you get deep drilling.

MineTortoise:
HELLO!

EvadableMoxie

It's a really fine line between keeping things challenging in the late game and not making the player feel punished for success.  Some things work well, like scaling raids. We'd expect the more wealth we have the more attention we're going to attract and the more people are going to want what we have.

The psychic drones though, those just feel arbitrary and unfair.  I think in terms of balance it's actually not a huge deal, but in terms of fun it feels pretty bad.

Galvenox

after latest build update my pawns seem not to be able to finish any jobs workbench related. opened the debug log and it looks like this:
JobDriver threw exception in initAction for pawn Lalande driver=JobDriver_DoBill (toilIndex=13) driver.job=(DoBill (Job_17774792) A=Thing_ElectricStove2424596 B=Thing_RawPotatoes3726166 C=(67, 0, 192)) lastJobGiver=RimWorld.JobGiver_Work
System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Verse.HediffSet.GetNotMissingParts'.
at (wrapper dynamic-method) Verse.GenRecipe.MakeRecipeProducts_Patch1 (Verse.RecipeDef,Verse.Pawn,System.Collections.Generic.List`1<Verse.Thing>,Verse.Thing,RimWorld.IBillGiver) <IL 0x00057, 0x00091>
at Verse.AI.Toils_Recipe/<FinishRecipeAndStartStoringProduct>c__AnonStorey2.<>m__0 () [0x000a7] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobDrivers\DoBill\Toils_Recipe.cs:205
at Verse.AI.JobDriver.TryActuallyStartNextToil () [0x00214] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobDrivers\JobDriver.cs:455

Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Utility\Debug\Log\Log.cs:78)
Verse.AI.JobUtility:TryStartErrorRecoverJob(Pawn, String, Exception, JobDriver) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobUtility.cs:22)
Verse.AI.JobDriver:TryActuallyStartNextToil() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobDrivers\JobDriver.cs:459)
Verse.AI.JobDriver:ReadyForNextToil() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobDrivers\JobDriver.cs:363)
Verse.AI.<DoRecipeWork>c__AnonStorey1:<>m__1() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobDrivers\DoBill\Toils_Recipe.cs:154)
Verse.AI.JobDriver:DriverTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobDrivers\JobDriver.cs:344)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:JobTrackerTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\Pawn_JobTracker.cs:131)
Verse.Pawn:Tick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Pawn\Pawn.cs:556)
Verse.TickList:Tick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickList.cs:125)
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickManager.cs:297)
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickManager.cs:261)
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Game.cs:505)
Verse.Root_Play:Update() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Global\Root\Root_Play.cs:99)
or a different one:
JobDriver threw exception in initAction for pawn Hawk driver=JobDriver_DoBill (toilIndex=13) driver.job=(DoBill (Job_17775855) A=Thing_TableMachining249458 B=Thing_Chemfuel3755153 C=(72, 0, 181)) lastJobGiver=RimWorld.JobGiver_Work
System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Verse.HediffSet.GetNotMissingParts'.
at (wrapper dynamic-method) Verse.GenRecipe.MakeRecipeProducts_Patch1 (Verse.RecipeDef,Verse.Pawn,System.Collections.Generic.List`1<Verse.Thing>,Verse.Thing,RimWorld.IBillGiver) <IL 0x00057, 0x00091>
at Verse.AI.Toils_Recipe/<FinishRecipeAndStartStoringProduct>c__AnonStorey2.<>m__0 () [0x000a7] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobDrivers\DoBill\Toils_Recipe.cs:205
at Verse.AI.JobDriver.TryActuallyStartNextToil () [0x00214] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobDrivers\JobDriver.cs:455

Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Utility\Debug\Log\Log.cs:78)
Verse.AI.JobUtility:TryStartErrorRecoverJob(Pawn, String, Exception, JobDriver) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobUtility.cs:22)
Verse.AI.JobDriver:TryActuallyStartNextToil() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobDrivers\JobDriver.cs:459)
Verse.AI.JobDriver:ReadyForNextToil() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobDrivers\JobDriver.cs:363)
Verse.AI.<DoRecipeWork>c__AnonStorey1:<>m__1() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobDrivers\DoBill\Toils_Recipe.cs:154)
Verse.AI.JobDriver:DriverTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobDrivers\JobDriver.cs:344)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:JobTrackerTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\Pawn_JobTracker.cs:131)
Verse.Pawn:Tick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Pawn\Pawn.cs:556)
Verse.TickList:Tick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickList.cs:125)
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickManager.cs:297)
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickManager.cs:261)
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Game.cs:505)
Verse.Root_Play:Update() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Global\Root\Root_Play.cs:99)

I do apologize if it's mods related and I can't see it, but still bringing it up as it might be helpful.

Madman666

Quote from: EvadableMoxie on July 18, 2018, 03:52:16 PM
I think in terms of balance it's actually not a huge deal, but in terms of fun it feels pretty bad.

Fun is overrated xD

mcduff

Has trap rearming been moved out of basic? My colonists don't seem to be rearming them any more.

Greep

Auto-rearm got defaulted to on.  Maybe the update messed with existing traps.  I thought it was hauling, though.

Edit: yeah it's hauling

MineTortoise:
HELLO!

Brainsample

Howdy folks,

Yesterday I installed rimworld 1.0 and started a game :)
Crashlanded, cassandra medium, no mods, everything default. Temperate forest with year-round growing, to keep things simple.
I'm a very slow player, I like to plan my base early on and I rarely increase the game-speed. This is how I (apparently) played rimworld for over 2000 hours, lol. I prefer a low number of colonists, and as such I don't have a lot of experience with caravans. As for combat, it is not the most important part of my rimworld game. I gave up on killboxes long ago, stopped using turrets, and tried to survive without power armor.

___

The ability to mod rimworld is really great. Most of my favourite mods have made it into the vanilla game, but there is one mod I will dearly miss in 1.0
It is the small shelf.

In A17 I wanted to start using shelves, but I ran into two problems:

1) After queueing up a number of shelves in the woodworkshop, my haulers would fill the shelves up with weapons. Then I had to manually remove weapons from the storage list, and the haulers had to bring all the weapons back to where they belonged.

2) Most often, I wanted to store small amounts of items, like in the druglab: 1 tile for cloth, 1 tile for neutroamine, 1 tile for herbal medicine, etc. But regular shelves are 2x1 stockpiles, and you need some serious micro to fill them up with two different items.

As a workaround for the first problem, I wrote a simple mod. Then B18 came out, and while browsing mods on steam, I found a mod that sets the default storage for shelves to empty. There was also a mod called "small shelf", this shelf is only one tile in size, and the default is also empty.

Well, I have never built a 2x1 shelf again!
A 1x1 shelf is much more flexible and useful. You can fit them into little alcoves in corridors (at T-junctions in the walls). The 1x1 shelves are much easier to rearrange as well.

___

My colony is now 10 days old, the game progressed without any weird stuff so far.
Some small details:

There's a new message: "Cannot build a roof over an oak tree". Fair enough, but when you build a wall over a tree, there's no message. In both cases the tree is cut down and the build is finished, so the new message is superfluous, in my opinion.

Batteries now need research, which didn't cause a real problem for me. But it pretty much forces you to start research very early. Usually my researcher would spend more time doing hauling jobs, some slow mining, or plantcutting.

The new zoning buttons are very nice! Maybe the name "Expand zone" could use some improvement, though. The button not only expands existing zones, you can also create new zones with it.

When placing beds, I have a hard time seeing the pillow-end, the graphics are very faint.

mcduff

Quote from: Greep on July 18, 2018, 04:26:12 PM
Auto-rearm got defaulted to on.  Maybe the update messed with existing traps.  I thought it was hauling, though.

Edit: yeah it's hauling
Huh, I was sure it was in basic? Maybe I just misread something.