Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zizard

Quote from: Serenity on July 26, 2018, 08:01:59 PM
Quote from: Madman666 on July 26, 2018, 06:45:42 PM
Add to that pirates usually having normal or better weapons and you don't really feel the need to go for your own weapon manufacture process at all.
I found it useful early on to make some more bolt action rifles. Raiders often only come with pistols at that point

One of my first raids donated 5 sniper rifles and 5 flak vests. Actually smelted some for wealth control.

iamomnivore

Quote from: spyderwebsc on July 26, 2018, 03:52:23 PM
Pirate merchant has a slave for sale that is the same person I have locked up in the jailhouse.

Hah! Well I'll be darned -- That is one gutsy Pirate to sell you your own slave  ;D

Colonist: "Well, I do need some additional strong backs around here."
Pirate: [Points to your prison] "I can cut you a real deal on one of my slaves temporarily housed in your prison.
Colonist: "What? Say again."
Pirate: "Yep, snuck him in there this morning. You're welcome."

NiftyAxolotl

Storyteller: Randy Random
Difficulty: "Survival Struggle", permadeath
Biome: Temperate Forest (50/60 nominal growing days, feels like year-round)
Hours played in the last 3 days: 8-ish?
Tribal start, animal swarm strategy. 6th of Aprimay, 5502

I'll likely post some animal-related feedback later (preview: Alpacas correctly OP on warm, grassy biomes), but I wanted to note a most unusual happening:

Breixo - an abrasive misogynist - and Red - a bloodlusting psychopath woman - are two of my best growers. They hate each other so much that they had a social fight three days in a row. To deal with this, I offset their sleeping schedules so they aren't awake at the same time as much. I am seriously considering drawing a line down my growing zones to keep them apart more. If that doesn't solve the problem, I might amputate Red's ears to stop her from hearing the insults.

This is... um... awesome? A non-combat, non-food-related colony management challenge that isn't solved by generic mood buffs! Shouldn't this be much more common? I've never encountered this before in 400+ hours of playing.

trezor

Storyteller: Randy
Difficulty: Rough, permadeath
Biome: Temperate Forest (close to Boreal, so on the cold side)
Hours played in the last 3 days: ~ 16?  Way too much :)
Played the new mission where you start with nothing.

I didn't discover any bugs, but here's some feedback, I'm very close to being able to construct a ship

1. Still an awesome game, enjoying it! :)

2. I'm using wood traps, they do serious damage and it's on temperate forest wood is in abundance. Just a bit of hauling here and there. Stock up plenty in case of a Volcanic winter.
I placed about 10 traps in a small maze, and they kill just about everything Randy throws at the entrance. Only a centipede managed to get through but was reasonably quickly dealt with

3. I had an infestation and a parachute raid, but since raid size on Rough is pretty small (kinda miss the big raids...), these were easily dealt with. This required old fashioned man to man/insect combat, which is fun.

4. Randy Rough is actually a bit too easy for me (played for about 4 years), and I should probably move to the next level. I have decent Rimwold skills (500+ hours), but am by no means an expert. I would expect to struggle sometimes at Rough, but I didn't. No one died, aside from banishing a few pawns that I really couldn't use.  I wouldn't mind a slight increase of difficulty, but OK I can notch it up.

5. I'm not sure if I like the trap changes - trap costs aren't really a problem and they are still pretty awesome. The costs feel unrealistic, though. Perhaps it would be better to increase the lenght of setting the trap significantly - in real life setting a trap takes quite a bit of time. Then there's not always time to prepare properly, and some raids need dealt with differtly?

6. As much as I like Rimworld, I'm not too keen on the whole Caravan game. It takes a lot of time and effort, and rewards are not always very nice. Also the 'sell me {inserts something you definately don't have or can easily get} for xxx' feels iffy as mission. I prefer to build my Colony and fight whatever the storyteller throws at me. But maybe other people love Caravans, I don't know.

Lanilor

Quote from: trezor on July 26, 2018, 09:19:51 PM
6. As much as I like Rimworld, I'm not too keen on the whole Caravan game. It takes a lot of time and effort, and rewards are not always very nice. Also the 'sell me {inserts something you definately don't have or can easily get} for xxx' feels iffy as mission. I prefer to build my Colony and fight whatever the storyteller throws at me. But maybe other people love Caravans, I don't know.

Me. Although I understand your point. Currently I don't do many quests. There are less and they aren't that great or in a bad accessable spot. Still waiting to get a trade offer.
I often settle in an open area, since I prefer caravaning and don't care for a mountain base, bonus for some roads nearby. Caravaning in a mountaneous region is pain, but I think it's valid from a balancing perspective.
My current game (tribal) is mostly hunting and trading that stuff for equipment. My only crafter got a bullet in the brain and is nearly useless and research is slow, so trading is the way to go for me. I often have one colonist on the world map checking villages for useful stuff or selling goods. I enjoy it quite a bit, although there could be more stuff to do on the world map (even smaller things). Pretty sure I already wrote that some time before.
Starting a caravan after a raid also lowers the chance of getting attacked while important colonists are away. Not completely reliable of cause. A few ingame days ago I got a siege when 2 (of 6) colonists were on a big trade. Luckily my one with a rifle hit some good bullets at first and then a few raiders chased and downed my boomalope, so I could win without loosing a pawn. They flew right into my caravan just arriving with a fresh bought minigun.

Edit:
I currently get a lot inspirations by having pretty high mood. I like that it seems to effect that a lot. Sadly it's just walking and shooting. Could be worse of cause, but still hoping for work frenzy atm.

dogthinker

Difficulty: Merciless, commitment, naked
Biome: Temperate Forest
Hours played in the last 3 days: This is a new start on the current patch, an hour or so.

Silly/trivial bug. My colonist is playing horseshoes through a closed door (she did this immediately after hauling some meat from a drop pod to the hopper behind her, so it's possible that the door hadn't quite closed behind her at the moment she decided to play.)

Playing naked with a pawn unable to care or cook makes for quite an amusing start. Randy's been dropping colonists in escape pods to get the colony started, but she can't actually treat them, so they just bleed out (but at least now she's not naked...) She hasn't even got enough crafting skill to make a bow, or growing to grow berries... So I built a nutrient paste dispensor for the first time since the single-digit alphas. The one real upside to this pawn though, is she has evel 11 animal skill, so training a small herd of alpaca has made it possible to survive the manhunters and raids (although she can't even heal the alpacas...)

[attachment deleted due to age]

almostmatt1

Difficulty: Medium, Commitment mode
Biome: Desert
Hours played in the last 3 days: Probably only about 4

Naked brutality start in the desert, thought I'd try a bunch of these new game mechanics in an area I don't normally play. Tamed a second colonist (Wild Man event), and shortly after, my first colonist got the plague. I had no medicine, assumed it was a death sentence, got him to dig his own grave and thought I'd work him until death. Then I changed my mind and decided to try to treat him anyway. No medicine, treated by a level 1 doctor, rested in a poor steel bed, and he lived.

To share my experience: I'm used to plague being a death sentence in such a bad situation, and that made it impactful. This thread has 260 pages and I'm not keen on reading through it to see if plague took a nerf haha, but in my opinion I'd prefer it if the deadly event was a bit more, you know, deadly.

Maybe plague on a harder difficulty would have killed poor Lowell, but still, given the situation I think plague was too weak.

Overall though I'm loving these new updates, thanks for giving me a great game to spend more time on while I headbutt my desk trying to work out how to play Dwarf Fortress :)

Greep

In retrospect, I should have prioritized building the shell storage earlier.  But in any case, who punches live bombs because they're angry  ::)

Edit: I like how brica was exploded so hard there is no corpse or X out colonist.

1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

podium86

Sorry but does anyone know the rest effectiveness and immunity gain for sleeping on the floor? Was wondering if sleeping on the floor or bad furniture is better.
Or perhaps we can add the stats in the description itself?

Greep

It's better to sleep on an awful bed.  An awful bedroll I'm not sure, though.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

anitram

Storyteller: Cassandra/Phoebe, basebuilder.
Biome: temperate forest
Hours played: yesterday 4+ (took a day off....)

They keep sending pawns all the time, I'm on 20+ pawns (only 2 deaths, both heart attacks...), and I'm still getting the -refugee chased-, -prisoner quest-, -wanderer joins- events. I have 4 stoves and 6 cooks and most of the daytime is spent hunting. I don't even strategize anymore, I place them all in a circle and 20+ pawns with assault riffles pretty much one-shoot everything.   :) I think I'm going to up the difficulty a bit to see how they'll fare then.

Trap changes are OK, you don't have to manually rebuild them.

Also, the game keeps sending meat via cargo pods every time my freezers go empty.  :) Don't know if this is a happy coincidence...

Animal moving zones instantly is great, haven't lost a pig ever since! Megasloths are killing machines, the only way to hunt them is to draft-hunt.

EDIT: I did it. I finally caved in. Got 2x cats join (10 cats per join!!!) and I slaughtered them both times for food. Slaughtered female huskies that joined. I have no more morals...

zizard

Quote from: podium86 on July 27, 2018, 12:57:39 AM
Sorry but does anyone know the rest effectiveness and immunity gain for sleeping on the floor? Was wondering if sleeping on the floor or bad furniture is better.
Or perhaps we can add the stats in the description itself?

I just did a dev mode test and it looks like 0.8 for a sleeping spot. Should definitely be labelled.

Awe

Quote from: mastertea on July 26, 2018, 03:48:08 PM

Used a nutrient paste dispenser through most of the game. NPD completely eliminates the chance of food poisoning, doesn't need a pawn with good cooking skills which frees up an extra worker. It also cost less food to make meals. NPD needs to be nerfed or changes to how food poison works because it happens way to often even with sterile tiled kitchen and a high level cook.

Didnt understand this complains about food poisoning. Just a clean kitchen is good enough to almost eliminate poisoning incidents. For me, poisoning is only very early game issue, while you dont have dedicated cleaner and decent cook. And +5 mood from fine meals is much better than -4 from NPD.

Tynan

New build is up!

Thank you for the ongoing feedback everyone - especially to those who posted play stories and graphs. These kinds of things are essential. Please do keep it coming! I am reading everything and taking notes; if something isn't being addressed it doesn't mean we don't care, it may be on our work queue over here already.

As always, the change log is here for reference but please focus your comments on this thread on the experiences you've had playing the latest build only. Please avoid posting theoretical analysis based on patch notes or reading game data files in this thread (other threads are of course fine).

When you do post feedback please begin your post with this info:

Storyteller:
Difficulty:
Biome:
Commitment mode: (yes/no)
Hours played in the last 2 days:
Complete mod list:

Many thanks.

Also there's some art in this build, but it's not fixed or anything and may be refined further.

----

Integrated some new art from larSyn, still more to do. You can tell the stack size of more items now.
Sniper turret fires slower but does more damage/AP. Rename to uranium slug turret.
Chemical interest/fascination pawns won't have a random binge break if they've got any satisfied drug need.
Armor quality rating has more impact.
Orbital bulk traders always have advanced components.
Food poisoning filth threshold is a bit more forgiving.
Remove bionics negative thoughts for non-body purist. Sorry Jensen.
Storyteller generation of traders (orbital and ground) and several other incident types refactored to be much more consistent.
Building traps no longer expands the home area.
Reworked prisoner interaction frequency so there's no need to micro to optimize it.
Added minimum time between mental break recovery and next mental break.
Misc other balance and fixes.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Awe

Quote from: Tynan on July 27, 2018, 04:06:30 AM
New build is up!

New med icons in pawn health tab looks weird. Need a single ones instead of multiple.