Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogthinker

Quote from: Greep on August 06, 2018, 04:00:02 AM
Yup.  To be clear, wealth is the main factor.  It's just bionics/organs and flooring don't count towards wealth.  And combat animals and pawns also have their own additional factoring that has nothing to do with their actual market value.  Except animals where part of that is their market value (:D), and part of it isn't.  It's why even though sculptures are better for room beauty, if you just want extremely impressive, silver flooring is not a bad option.

... and all this time I've even avoided using too much sterile tile, because of how expensive it is... I feel like this could do with a bit more transparency. I guess it makes sense (unless a new raid type 'floor thieves' was introduced. 8))

Thanks for the info. Seems I need to do more research!

Greep

Quote from: dogthinker on August 06, 2018, 04:19:05 AM

(unless a new raid type 'floor thieves' was introduced. 8))

That's pretty much me after raiding an outpost.  Can't just leave that metal tiles alone!
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

ChJees

During modding I noticed that when I wanted a colonist to install a Joywire or my own Nerve stapling implant they did not want any medicine but herbal medicine. What is up with that?

Apparently glitterworld medicine is not good enough :P .

With Herbal medicine allowed.
With Herbal medicine forbidden.

Edit: Looks like I forgot to set the medicine level they can get... Maybe the reason for not being able to do the surgery should tell that instead then?

seerdecker

QuoteIt's just bionics/organs and flooring don't count towards wealth.

Are you sure about the bionics? I know it's true for the floor. But what about the indirect contribution of the bionics to the character quality multiplier? I thought the pawn market value was counted as wealth.

Tynan

Regarding maximum range, it just refers to the maximum targeting range.

The gameplay reason they can miss beyond this range is because to do otherwise would add a bunch of complexity to the math around miss chances. Depending on how it's done, it could look weird, cause more damage in some particular situations, or open up weird game-y tactics.

In fiction, you can imagine it any way you like. I'd just call it them knowing not to shoot past effective range, just as real soldiers don't shoot at targets they could theoretically hit just because it's too far to be effective for their weapon.

It's not worth adding the interface, balancing, tactics, AI complexity to make this work so as with many many other cases we're sticking with the straightforward max-range/miss the same at every range system. There's many more important things to focus on.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

SchizoidCrow

Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty: Merciless for most of the game, recently switched to rough.
Biome/hilliness: Temperate Forest and mountainous.
Commitment mode: Nope.
Current colony age (days): 163.
Hours played in the last 2 days: Idk, 9?
Complete mod list: Just the progress renderer mod.

So, new colony! I went mostly with what the game offered me, luckily my starting colonists weren't god-awful, but actually kind of decent, just on the low-end side in terms of passion and experience. I did hand-picked a landing location near a road and in a no flat area. I had a veeery slow start. I didn't have a good builder, doctor, miner or cooker. They spend their sweet botching their jobs for a while, suffering from food poisoning every other day. Pan Sunbin changed that, bringing to the colony an interest for construction, medical and intellectual activities, as well as a burning desire to craft for the colony. From that point, I've been playing catch-up with the difficulty curve, just providing enough defense to be able to survive.

Turns out, mountainous regions are actually bad when you don't mine inside them. The starvation for steel and mechanical components has been tough, forcing me to form caravans and trade with nearby factions. I simply didn't have enough time or manpower to mine the mountains (I still don't even have a good cook). Eventually, raids grew too big, even when I barely had a couple of steel mini-turrets. It was too much. I switched to 'rough'. I think it is my sweet spot. It was a nice experiment, merciless is indeed merciless. Though it seems like the difficulty just suddenly explodes.

Anyway. I have a couple of things in mind:

- Since now we have a wild-life tab, I think it would be a good QoL addition to add an icon to distinguish animals that are in a manhunter state. It's a bit cumbersome to look through the map to find the 5 hares that suddenly went mad.

- Crops die way too quick when cold snaps happen. I waked up my three experienced gardeners in the middle of the night, changed their schedule and priority, and they could not even save 15 % of the crops. Sure, the temperature went from like 6 to -20 in a couple of hours, but they barely last a few hours. Are plants that fragile irl? I have no idea, but in RimWorld, cold snaps are the real blights.

- I have an inland sea near my outpost. I've been getting caravan requests from the other side of the sea. You have to go around it on a trip that takes almost an entire quadrum. It's a shame because the requests had pretty good rewards, but... yeah, it's too far. I don't mind getting missions from far away places, I bet some people would try them, but this seems like the game not taking into consideration impassable tiles. You could also give us boats...

- It's hard to visually determine the level of growth of healroot.

Some graphs!

[attachment deleted due to age]

Dargaron

Quote from: Greep on August 06, 2018, 04:00:02 AM
Yup.  To be clear, wealth is the main factor.  It's just bionics/organs and flooring don't count towards wealth.  And combat animals and pawns also have their own additional factoring that has nothing to do with their actual market value.  Except animals where part of that is their market value (:D), and part of it isn't.  It's why even though sculptures are better for room beauty, if you just want extremely impressive, silver flooring is not a bad option.

Wait, when did Floor wealth stop counting?! I've been agonizing over installing carpet for two in-game years because I didn't feel like I had enough traps and walls and stuff! My colonists have been suffering for nothing! *Dargaron has suffered a Mental Break: Sad Wander. The last straw was: I dun goofed*

bbqftw

I'm surprised 5 hauldogs only count as 100 raid points. That's just 1 or 2 raiders which 5 dogs handily beat, though dogs are a pretty expensive asset once haul capable so you may not want to commit them to combat. That's far less than what I was expecting seeing as I had 10k max point raids as early as 320k wealth / late year2 when utilizing some animals. 

What file(s) govern raid scaling for animals?

Do trainable intelligence simple animals get multiplied raid point factors?

tarator

Naked brutality AAR. On the 6th day Wilson went into a catatonic breakdown and in two more days starved to death 8)

Polder

Recreation needs are easy to meet by the way. There's very little pressure to add more recreation sources. Just having a table and horseshoe pin is enough for a year or two.

Greep

Quote from: bbqftw on August 06, 2018, 12:40:08 PM
I'm surprised 5 hauldogs only count as 100 raid points. That's just 1 or 2 raiders which 5 dogs handily beat, though dogs are a pretty expensive asset once haul capable so you may not want to commit them to combat. That's far less than what I was expecting seeing as I had 10k max point raids as early as 320k wealth / late year2 when utilizing some animals. 

What file(s) govern raid scaling for animals?

Do trainable intelligence simple animals get multiplied raid point factors?

Well it's ~100 * threatscale.  So double on merciless.  I think it might even be more like 70->140 for dogs. If you want to know which animals cause the highest raid point, check out their combat power in their animal race xmls.  Manhunter packs use the same number to determine overall size, so you can get a good gut feeling about what's the best combat animal.  Boomrats are probably kickass and hilarious.

MineTortoise:
HELLO!

Tynan

I just want to acknowledge and thank everyone who has posted play stories with all the requested information included. It continues to be useful, so thank you.

I think you'd rather I work on the game than spend more time than needed replying to forum posts, so I'll generally not reply individually, but I am reading everything carefully.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

EvadableMoxie

So I did a quick test, I started up a naked brutality run and then used dev mode to pave the entire map in gold tile and outfit the pawn with a full set of archotech biotics.

Colony wealth according to the statistics screen? Zero. The rest of the graphs also didn't move, so it's not effecting raid strength in some other way, either.

This is really good info to know, thanks for pointing it out.

Yeol

I don't know if it's intended, but boomalopes make cow noises. When I heard the "moo", I was expecting to see muffalos, but found boomalopes. I don't remember if boomalopes always had the cow moo-sound, (and I'm playing Rimwolrd since A8)  ::)

Greep

I'm not sure what's causing sappers to frequently just enter the fort, but this is happening quite a lot.  two groups both deciding this is the smart thing to do:

[attachment deleted due to age]

MineTortoise:
HELLO!