Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awe

Quote from: DeadByBruise on August 24, 2018, 09:02:50 PM
The building order changed, so now my builder first builds all of the furniture inside before repairing my defenses, this is quite annoying. Maybe allow us to define a zone that the builder always should prioritize? This way we could put our defensive area in this zone and if something needs to be repaired or rebuild in this zone, he will do it before anything else.

Here is a mod named WorkTab. It allow you to set priorities to any subwork. Dont know why it still not incorporated - peoples complain about work orders all the time im playing RimWorld. Definitely must be hidden to not confuse new players by walls of numbers, but at same time must be in vanilla, imho.

Koek

Quote from: Namsan on August 24, 2018, 11:56:08 PM
  • Can we allow colonists to wear two weapons (maybe with a speed penalty)? This way you can use a sniper initially and when the enemy come close, switch weapon.

I like sidearm idea.
I think limiting sidearms to only small weapons like machine pistol or knife can make the game more interesting.
Because these small weapons become obsolete when player got access to bigger weapons like rifles or long sword.

+1 for small sidearms, be it knives or 1 handed guns.

Xgkkp

• Can we allow colonists to wear two weapons (maybe with a speed penalty)? This way you can use a sniper initially and when the enemy come close, switch weapon.
There is a mod for A18 that added this, SimpleSidearms, and it's great. It's always annoyed me that as soon as enemies get close I need to micromanage switching out shooting/melee pawns (also, makes pawns with melee *and* shooting usefully advantageous). I'd be happy if it just allowed melee/sidearms in the secondary slot.

Trallhatt

Quote from: Xgkkp on August 25, 2018, 05:13:48 AM
There is a mod for A18 that added this, SimpleSidearms, and it's great. It's always annoyed me that as soon as enemies get close I need to micromanage switching out shooting/melee pawns (also, makes pawns with melee *and* shooting usefully advantageous). I'd be happy if it just allowed melee/sidearms in the secondary slot.

Sounds like something that will make the combat really unbalanced. Things are like they are often because of balance and not because something is impossible to implement or make more "complicated". Does your enemies have the same advantage?

RawCode

its done for balance reasons, allowing to carry both melee and ranged weapon at same time is nice and logical, but will make combat boring and repetitive.

Trallhatt

yeah, i mean it's like a game of cards.. With the mod you suddenly get the option to have an extra card which can be whatever you want instead of carefully having to consider what to use.
The later makes far more sense in game of strategy. While some things make sense to be built around realism, combat specifically would really have to be super complex (on both ends, enemies would need to be super smart too). So imo the mod does not make sense, or rather it doesn't understand what the combat system is trying to achieve.

falcongrey

I love the changes in the new unstable. Love that there is now a 64-bit version... only it is a bit awkward to get at this being you must open Steam, right click on 'Rimworld' then select the 64-bit launch option...

I know this has been mentioned more than once in the past 100 pages, but could the 32-bit and 64-bit be switched around so it runs 64-bit by default instead of the 32-bit? That or in the Readme.txt include some launch option instruction (like the save file location) so that a launch option like -64 could be added to default it to 64-bit launching?
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

Ilya

Quote from: RawCode on August 25, 2018, 08:22:02 AM
its done for balance reasons, allowing to carry both melee and ranged weapon at same time is nice and logical, but will make combat boring and repetitive.
I disagree. If anything, it makes it less repetitive, because suddenly, when the enemy charges you, standing your ground and going melee may be a viable choice, while before skirmishing was always the only logical choice.

RawCode

Quote from: Ilya on August 25, 2018, 11:51:35 AM
I disagree. If anything, it makes it less repetitive, because suddenly, when the enemy charges you, standing your ground and going melee may be a viable choice, while before skirmishing was always the only logical choice.

instead of planning you just click attack and pawns handle combat on it's own.

-zergs- tribals swarmed your snipers?
no problem, they have chainsaws as sidearm and absolutely fine in melee, dat melee snipers!

mlzovozlm

Quote from: RawCode on August 25, 2018, 01:19:30 PM
Quote from: Ilya on August 25, 2018, 11:51:35 AM

no problem, they have chainsaws as sidearm and absolutely fine in melee, dat melee snipers!

if there's a sidearm, ther'dnt be tribal melee rush no? xD there'd be a bunch of longbow tribals standing behind rocks+trees trying to snipe you, constesting with whatever guns you also have

trezor

I started a game in the newest build.

Randy Savage, Cold bog biome.

I did not have a single raid in 75 days. I realize Randy is Randy but feels buggy. Guess I'm just lucky.

Did have a ton of manhunter events though.

erdrik

Adding side arms won't remove planning.
It will just change it to planning around whatever side arms or melee weapons the enemy has.
Just because you give your best gunner a knife doesn't mean they can suddenly stand up against the lvl 15 master brawler baring down on them with a plasteel mace. You still have to fall back and match your forces to theirs.

Im on the fence about sidearms, but "lack of planning" is not a valid reason to shoot the idea down.

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: erdrik on August 25, 2018, 03:49:49 PM

Adding side arms won't remove planning.
It will just change it to planning around whatever side arms or melee weapons the enemy has.
Just because you give your best gunner a knife doesn't mean they can suddenly stand up against the lvl 15 master brawler baring down on them with a plasteel mace. You still have to fall back and match your forces to theirs.

Im on the fence about sidearms, but "lack of planning" is not a valid reason to shoot the idea down.

Sidearms would break the current balance between range and melee and require further work to be reasonable. Ranged weapons already got nerfs to their minimum range to prevent firing for the purpose of making melee have the upper-advantage once they close the gap. Your theoretical situation is true, but you aren't going to be going up against 15 melee skill pawns with plasteel maces every raid.

Unless you got some extra changes in mind past just allowing for a pawn to equip a secondary weapon at a certain 'weight' value, all this does is make diversity between your combat pawns less important as why would you have a dedicated melee line when you can just equip your firing squad with good-quality melee weapons to deal with the rushing melee?

Kassidoo

Hi, I am playing B19 with some mods, but I keep crashing to desktop without any crash dump being create nor the output_log saying anything. Is there any way to figure out whats causing it? it was working fine 2 days ago, but after an update it seems something isn't playing along nicely anymore.

erdrik

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on August 25, 2018, 04:48:21 PM
Your theoretical situation is true, but you aren't going to be going up against 15 melee skill pawns with plasteel maces every raid.
... why would you have a dedicated melee line when you can just equip your firing squad with good-quality melee weapons to deal with the rushing melee?

I was exaggerating somewhat to make my point.
My "theoretical situation" is not only true, but in my experience common. Perhaps the gap is not to the extent I mentioned, as I said I exaggerated. But most of the time pawns with good shooting skill don't necessarily have good brawler skill. Also you can't equip Shield belts on shooters if you actually intend for them to shoot.

Between that and other traits, conditions, or a pawn's value to the colony will ensure that you will always want to ensure that certain pawns never come into contact with an enemy brawler(or even ANY enemy at all).
Having a "dedicated melee line" comprised of high skill brawlers, equip with shield belts is a fantastic way to do that.

It's not just the weapon that determines who makes up the brawler force in a colony.