Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Hey guys let's please stay on topic, this is not a thread for open-ended suggestions nor discussions of such. This includes sidearms. It's also not a tech support thread. There are lots of other places for these.

This is a feedback thread so please stay focused on experienced-based feedback. Thanks.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Crow_T

Quote from: Tynan on August 25, 2018, 07:36:04 PM
This is a feedback thread so please stay focused on experienced-based feedback. Thanks.

I hope this is on topic then- I've played since A17, and recently watched a playthrough using B18, and I miss the old scythers that have both strong melee and ranged- they were a good scary enemy, it'd be great to see them back, even as a third type of scyther. Having only melee or ranged puts them at raider level, as opposed to a high tech level.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

mndfreeze

Quote from: Crow_T on August 25, 2018, 08:25:22 PM
Quote from: Tynan on August 25, 2018, 07:36:04 PM

I hope this is on topic then- I've played since A17, and recently watched a playthrough using B18, and I miss the old scythers that have both strong melee and ranged- they were a good scary enemy, it'd be great to see them back, even as a third type of scyther. Having only melee or ranged puts them at raider level, as opposed to a high tech level.

Personally, I find the new mixes more scary.  There are times when it works to my advantage of course, but those scythers are no joke and they are fast.  When you get a mix of all 3 types of mechanoids they can wreak havoc on you, quickly.   I find even when I engage a lancer in melee combat I still end up taking quite a bit of hefty damage unless its a melee pawn in power armor or something.  With Scythers I have to try to kill them as quickly as possible BEFORE they get to my line of shooters because I'm for sure going to lose some limbs if I don't, or worse.  The ranged lancers still melee pretty hard and the scythers are murderous if you let them near you.  Thankfully they have much lower health these days to compensate. 

Centipedes.... they are the assholes.. ;/

zakouski

Hi,

I see that a few updates have been made lately on the unstable branch, but I cannot find where to read the changes ; anyone can direct me ? Thx.

5thHorseman

Quote from: zakouski on August 26, 2018, 06:10:26 AM
Hi,

I see that a few updates have been made lately on the unstable branch, but I cannot find where to read the changes ; anyone can direct me ? Thx.

They stopped posting them and did not say why, but before they stopped posting them there were multiple unheeded requests to not comment on them in the thread. I assume they stopped posting them to keep us from commenting on them.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Mistrornge

Recently playthrough took a team to the mystic shaman event in the hopes of getting a pawn's multiple permanent injuries fixed.  Two different episodes of concern:
First it healed a dog I brought with me instead of a pawn
Second it healed a pawn of starvation-trivial def. 
Both in my mind are headaches that shouldn't happen.
Thank you, Charles

zizard

I noticed that girls need shirts to not be naked. Isn't this sexist?

Specter07

Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty: Merciless, Lost Tribe
Biome/hilliness: Biome: Temperate Forest 30/60 growing period, Hilliness: Flat
Commitment mode: Yes
Colony age (days): 60 days
Hours played in the last 2 days: Maybe 5 or so hours on this colony.
Complete mod list: No Mods

Colony Screenshot: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/2483060607412015834/D7CCE84EEBBBF8746416239E682587F59CC74110/

Positive Feedback: Art looks nice (Meat, sculpture table, sandbags ect.), AI seems to be smarter in general, new armor system is great, More smarter raids then normal raids, such as sieges and drop pod raids (idk if it's luck of the draw or intended for 1.0), the wildlife tab, meme raids (fire squad, all sniper squad ect.), caravans, and much more.

Negative Feedback: Sieges still seem easy to counter in 0.19, Just have some pawns snipe some raiders from a distance, the raiders helplessly stand there and die. IMO the new melee Scythers are too weak (Health wise), Straight men can now have the hairstyle "Pigtails", which is confusing/guess their genderway too feminine IMO (Idk if this was added to 0.19 or not, but I've only noticed this in 0.19 and I've been playing since A15).

Summary: In general 1.0 is looking very promising, great work Tynan!

5thHorseman

Quote from: zizard on August 26, 2018, 03:07:25 PM
I noticed that girls need shirts to not be naked. Isn't this sexist?

Rimworlds are less progressive than wherever you live where women walk around shirtless all the time.

Also I'm planning a vacation, where do you live? ;)
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

cactusmeat

Randy savage (did you rename the difficulty for this?)
mountainous jungle year round growing
naked brutality
colony age: 172 days
time played this map: 9 hours across 2 days.
No mods

starting pawn isn't perfect but who is?

No steam geysers nearby, mountains stretch the east side of the map as expected. Marble and granite only. But survival comes first.

There's less food in the jungle than I remember, Tyr isn't great at picking berries and somehow fails 4/6 times with 3 growing skill. It's not hard to pick berries, but whatever.

Day 2.5: a raider with an awful knife who forgot to wear clothes shows up and prepares an assault. I don't know what he's preparing but it gives Tyr enough time to build a single wooden trap near the door to the shack. The raider sets the wood shack on fire then busts down a wall (not the door for some reason) and enters to find Tyr armed with a log. I lure him into the trap and after 6 misses from each combatant Tyr comes out on top, suffering minor injuries. The short bow was 2 work away from being done.

In the coming days he starves on occasion and has a tantrum or two. Luckily the mental breaks are over with quickly and he gets back to building a shack and mining his first steel.

day 15: A diet of chinchillas and tortoises have allowed us to stockpile leather for tribalwear. 3 transport pods in less than a week, first an abrasive pawn with no combat skills, then a wimp chemical fascination. The third skyperson is a gay tough nervous man named Paine. I rename the quickly recruited colonist (0 resistance 10% recruit chance) and Tyr welcomes Pain to his camp. They agree to name the site and their faction. I randomize a bit and stumble upon the faction name of Butbum with the colony name of Craps district. I hope this isn't a shitty run but I have surely jinxed it.

One of my previous tribal runs had the (totally randomized) faction name "The Bringa of the Bush" and the fitting colony name of "White Stream". I'm immature, I know.

Day 15: raid around midnight, one dude with a knife, has clothes this time at least. The too smart fast learner raider walks directly over 2 traps and dies. He was in perfect health too. Wish I had resurrector serum at this point, but oh well.

Day 21: Lidia, housemate (reminds me of skyrim) joins the colony. Her brother raided us last week so I say she's a spy. I take her gear and banish her and she trips a trap and dies. I don't know what to say about that. Later that day cargo pod of 16 components lands. Hooray!

Day 31: refugee event, where 2 penitents (whatever that is) are chasing some dude in his 40's. Okay, sure. I've got enough defense for 2 tribals and I only have to down/kill one because raiders always flee at half their starting numbers. Felix joins Butbum. Annoying voice isn't great but 10 melee and 9 plants are skills that are needed here.

Day 33: I have had 2 different packs of cargo pods bring chemfuel and a boomalope self tamed. I guess I'll get a chemfuel generator. Oh wait I can't, nobody has 6 construction.

Day 45: got another refugee event, 4 tribals easily dispatched. Rissa settled into her role as primary builder quite nicely. She's a brawler with double passion in social and intelligence. Wild man wanders in later that day, Tyr tames her (maybe fix the letter to denote gender) and Maya also joins the colony of Craps District.

Day 49: Rissa went on an insulting spree. I drafted everyone and told them to melee her down. Felix says "sure boss I'll kill her for you" and stabs her in the neck. She dies of an infection with 8 and 14% tends using herbal and Tyr's 4 in medicine. Reality check that I do not have a perfect crew here. Also boomalope died of plague.

Day 69: bought 2 labrador retrievers. Sold the human leather and other stuff I was stockpiling. Just testing how much it hurts to chop up raiders. It causes more problems than it solves.

Day 75: this one is odd. A single visitor appears and they are related to a colonist. The letter says "Relationship". At a glance I think somebody got married and divorced so quickly the game was just like yeah they're exes now. I think the game should care about the origins of a pawn when creating their family, it is extremely immersion breaking to have a space refugee related to a 16 year old tribesmen, for example. Anyway, rename the letter to visitor(s) – relationship.

Day 94: 2 lancers stroll in during a heat wave (65 degrees C), I guess because humans can't handle the heat. We have our self tamed rhino "Ruffian" tank a few shots and chop up the bots for a whopping 8 plasteel.

Day 114: psychic ship appears. Makes 4 monkeys mad and I feel my 8 colonists and Ruffian can handle 3 or 4 mechanoids with the help/distracting monkeys. Abusing the AI of the manhunters (and the fact that they manhunt mechs) I lured them into a free for all. I lost an alpaca and a bonded labrador, but no colonist damage. Psychic ships are nasty and I've learned to deal with them promptly. Poison ships however are usually something I can ignore for 60 days.

Day 146: level 5 doctor with blue medicine catastrophically fails a lung install and stabs the healthy lung enough to kill the patient. Other than a missing lung the patient, Knight, was healthy. Sucks. But with the rate that new people arrive in transport pods it won't be an issue.

Day 149: Sparkles has a midnight murderfriend drop into her bedroom. A single mechanoid raid because why not. All 7 colonists and a rhino stand in the hallway and open the door to shoot, close it when it comes close and no damage taken. Clearly not intended to be difficult.

Day 151: refugee event brings 30 pirates with only melee weapons directly into the path of the psychic ship that landed just outside my wall. Shotguns and 2 lopsided battles for them and they are cleaned up and I have a new person to banish because they aren't that great. All said and done we are up to 10 colonists and 5 mini turrets. 0 components. Ruffian runs out of blood, but on day 153 an elephant joins to replace him.

Build updates to 2006 and I play for about an hour more

I seem to have no problems with raids, 3 tribal sapper events within 2 weeks and not even a scratch on my people. Tech is super quick compared to my usual tribal runs.
Auroras seem utterly useless. As far as I can tell you need to wake people up in the middle of the night when it happens and they stand outside for ¼ the time of a party for a mood boost that only lasts during that time.

wealth at day 173 is 120k, with 10 colonists, 5 animals.

I quite enjoy playing and breaking down the play like this but it is so much slower /harder to get to late game. I hope it is useful nonetheless.

ScrapyardBob

Keeping torches, camp fires and passive cooling going is a constant battle on tribal start.  It is nice in b19 that I only have to refuel them instead of rebuild them from scratch.  But I still feel like torches and passive coolers require too much wood per day.

Blight is still a PITA to deal with.  It's a lot of squinting and clicking to select all the crops to be cut out.  I agree with the mechanic, but its colors are close that of corn.  I usually just slash cut the entire field (after turning off sowing of new plants).

Not sure if this is still true, but if "IED trap" is still named that way, maybe it should be "IED explosive trap" to make it more like the other "IED (something) trap" names.

rizurper

Got infestation in my fermentation room with only 1 tile overhead mountain. There was chem-fuel refinery on that tile. When the hives appeared the refinery disappeared! It was not destroyed because no steel chunks scattered, it was just vanished into thin air.

I thought the hive won't spawn on a tile with production things.
I had to put wall on that tile, the room looks wonky now but it's better than bugs.

erdrik

Quote from: ScrapyardBob on August 26, 2018, 09:46:15 PM
... but if "IED trap" is still named that way, maybe it should be "IED explosive trap" to make it more like the other "IED (something) trap" names.

Please no. Explosive is already in the name.
"Improvised Explosive Devise Explosive Trap" is just unnecessary.

Tynan

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Recent builds haven't changed any gameplay so there's nothing to post, really. It's just bugfixes.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

lowdegger

Quote from: Tynan on August 27, 2018, 07:13:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Recent builds haven't changed any gameplay so there's nothing to post, really. It's just bugfixes.

Very excited for 1.0.

It still says "impacted" instead of "landed" or "crashed" for spaceship chunks though... very sad...