Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

Quote from: Kirby23590 on June 17, 2018, 10:32:43 AM
Is there a work tab that adds that splits construction and repair?

It's nice to split people who repair and people who build things since raids or other events that damages structures. colonists prioritize repair rather than constructing a missing or fixing a hole in the wall.

Just a suggestion that i ran around and found from the Suggestions fourms. ;)

Build and repair used to be different work types but they were fused in A16 i think... I used to have everyone in 1 in repair, but only builders in building, so I could repair very quickly after a raid. Idk what to say... FOr once i miss it being split but Im a sucker for simplicity... Even if its not good :/

santafefoundation

Canute

Quote from: santafefoundation on June 17, 2018, 11:56:51 AM
I can't rescue escape pod people
Escaped, that means you imprisoned them before.
Then you need to capture them like before.

TastyCookies

Tynan,

Thank you so much for developing a 64-bit version of RimWorld, I just tested it and everything is working good so far. I think if anyone chooses to heavily mod their game, they would need about 8gb minimum. To anyone that wants to access this version, you need to create a separate shortcut to the file RimWorldWin64.

This maybe a dumb question, but will modders have to make a different version of their mod for the 64-bit version?

Canute

Quote from: TastyCookies on June 17, 2018, 12:21:07 PM
This maybe a dumb question, but will modders have to make a different version of their mod for the 64-bit version?
The Linux B18 version was allready 64-bit and all mod's works there.

jchavezriva

By saying ludicrous cause issues with AI and other aspects of the game, you mean its worse than before? I personally did not find anything game breaking playing with ludicrous all the time. Not anything bad enough to be a bother at least.

Alenerel

Quote from: jchavezriva on June 17, 2018, 12:46:57 PM
By saying ludicrous cause issues with AI and other aspects of the game, you mean its worse than before? I personally did not find anything game breaking playing with ludicrous all the time. Not anything bad enough to be a bother at least.

I dont think so. He explained it several times in the past. Ludicrous breaks the game in some minor ways other than the massive memory and performance hit (which is pretty high tbh). For example, mortars in a siege might not be able to reach your base and thus making the event worthless. Caravans breaking mood cause of sleep deprivation cause they cant reach the exit in time, etc. Tynan said that the events arent balanced for a map this big and this might make the game unenjoyabe.

So with the requirement of having to explicitly enable the big maps, he makes sure that new players will at least try the game as he intends first, instead of making the possible mistake of playing the biggest map available cause "bigger is better and if its there is because i should play it".

Dingo

Flattered to see some of my mods implemented! Keep up the good work.

Bozobub

Quote from: Canute on June 17, 2018, 12:03:51 PM
Quote from: santafefoundation on June 17, 2018, 11:56:51 AM
I can't rescue escape pod people
Escaped, that means you imprisoned them before.
Then you need to capture them like before.
Nope.  Santafefoundation is referring to random pawns who show up downed in escape pods, just like the ones your initial pawns show up in when using the "Crashlanded" scenario.
Thanks, belgord!

Malpractice

Cassandra Rough, Standard New Arrivals Start - Play Story / Feedback

(Day 1) - Chose a temperate coastal area with with a huge river.  The river has two sets of collapsed rocks in it.  I honestly don't know if they're supposed to be river rocks or if it's a bug, but I'd recommend a different texture/name if it isn't a bug. I build a campfire, and the estimate says it should last 2 days.  I've had to refuel it twice by hour 8 of the second day.

(Day 2) - Xue, the Prostitute Idol, gets eaten by a lynx not far from my base.  Her lack of combat skills means she's dead before I can respond. Rough start. She gets buried in a shallow grave, but we name our faction the Lynxslayers and the colony Xue's Rest in her honor.

(Day 3) - Wolf attacks our colony's dog.  Manage to respond this time, but the dog dies in the crossfire.  Wild animals seem much more aggressive in this patch.  I like it, but I wish there were some way to easily indicate that an animal is hostile allowing a user to respond *before* the first bite (an alert, icon, etc).  Wolf did get scared off after taking damage, which is cool.  A moment after the wolf attack, a mad rat appears as my first event, feeling rather anticlimactic after two far more threatening animal attacks.

(Day 5) - RAID - I'm attacked by Love, the Pirate.  One of my two pawns is disabled from food poisoning. This new mechanic is MUCH better; less frequent and more impactful. My remaining pawn fights it off in melee and captures Love.

(Day 6) - RAID - A warrior is being chased and I take her in, fighting off the single raider.  Things start to feel stable.  I start to focus on base building and getting a power grid going.

(Day 11) - RAID - Colony has three pawns, attacked by a mad rat and raider at the same time.  Rat goes for raider and dies; raider is dispatched easily with the aid of my newly gained warrior.

(Day 13) - Collins the Vet is recruited from prison; started taming alpacas.  When taming it says, "named HIM Alpaca 1".  I've noticed this recurring across the UI - "Gut worms in HIS stomach."  It's weird that HIM/HIS is in all caps. 

(Day 18) - I noticed the option to send items to a specific stockpile after completing a bill.  That's an excellent feature.  That's an excellent feature, but would be hugely improved if we had the ability to rename stockpiles.  Finding "Steel Stockpile" in that list is easy, but having to identify and find "Stockpile 48" is tedious. Thanks Jimmy, it's already there; somehow I missed this for two years.

(Day 21) - RAID - Colony has four pawns, attacked by 3 pawns.  Difficulty felt right.

(Day 32) - Some of my alpacas got plague.  Extending disease to animals provides a nice layer of interaction to caring for them, making a "vet" pretty useful.  With 10 skill doctor and only herbal medicine, one died, two survived, and three were unaffected to start.  Feels right.

(Day 36) - RAID - A manhunter boomrat attacked as a dazed colonist wandered off toward it.  Attempts to save him left two men down - it should have been one down, but I messed up.   About half a day later, a raid occurs.  I have 5 pawns:  1 pacifist, 2 down, and 2 with combat ability.  There are five fairly strong attackers (bolt action rifles, shotguns, machine pistols).  Just before they arrive, Love recovers from his wounds enough to stand up and fight poorly.  Using the river, I manage to take down 2 before they close, but all three fighters are knocked out by shotguns.  Raid difficulty jumped a bit there, but my colony had grown a lot in 15 days. I only died due to the combination of events.  I'd say the balance feels really good in my short game.  The pacing of raids felt like they're always a threat, but there were a few lulls which helped me make longer-term progress and deal with non-combat threats.

At this point, my base is on fire and pretty much everyone's been kidnapped, so I declare defeat and start a new game.  So far all of the changes seem excellent.  The balance seems tighter, the new art is awesome.  My game isn't long enough  for a major wealth graph, but it peaked at 21k before the final raid on day 36.

Crow_T

So far lots of nice little tweaks, my favorite is the zone manipulation. Started off naked twice and the first raider got me both times haha- really need a good shooter and crafter to start this scenario. How do you make tribalwear now? I didn't have the option at the crafting spot.

Also, a big thanks to the Ludeon team for listening to and seriously considering player feedback :)
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: Malpractice on June 17, 2018, 02:32:04 PM
Cassandra Rough, Standard New Arrivals Start - Play Story / Feedback
(Day 18) - I noticed the option to send items to a specific stockpile after completing a bill.  That's an excellent feature, but would be hugely improved if we had the ability to rename stockpiles.  Finding "Steel Stockpile" in that list is easy, but having to identify and find "Stockpile 48" is tedious.

We have been able to rename stockpiles for a while now.  Unless Im missing something here.

Nightinggale

EDIT: I decided to file this as a bug report here. While it might not strictly be the kind of bug reports asked for, it is a feature in RimWorld itself, which allowed something in B18, which is gone in 1.0.

RimWorld 1.0 has completely destroyed ModCheck. The problem is the new patch loading code. It's not the fact that it changed, but more it changed in a way that I lost the ability to mod the patch loading process, meaning I can't update ModCheck to fix the problem.

The problem is Verse.LoadedModManager.LoadAllActiveMods().
foreach (PatchOperation current3 in LoadedModManager.runningMods.SelectMany((ModContentPack rm) => rm.Patches))
{
current3.Apply(xmlDocument);
}

The code itself is fine. The problem is I need to patch it with Harmony. However ModCheck calls Harmony from the mod class instantiation earlier in LoadAllActiveMods(). In order to use Harmony, it needs to be loaded before the patched method is called and as such it's not possible to mod LoadAllActiveMods.

Obvious solution: Move the loop to a new method.

Alternatively make a new method containing everything after the loop starting with: foreach (Type type in typeof(Mod).InstantiableDescendantsAndSelf())
This will give max modding freedom.

To be completely honest, I kind of like the old approach better. Now all files are merged into one and then the patches are applied one by one. In B18, all patches are applied to each file and then the patched files are merged. While it may be slower, the file by file approach provides the modname and filename of the file being patched and ModCheck reads that with Harmony. Not only can this be included in error messages, it can also be used actively by PatchOperation. I added ModCheck.FindFile, which takes two strings and compare them against the current mod and file names. It only returns true if both matches, meaning it can be used to avoid using XPATH searches on wrong files. When it applies just once, the file is significantly smaller. Animal mods often have one file for each animal, meaning Defs will contain just a single child, which should speed up XPATH searching. I have made performance tests with and without FindFile, but not against RW 1.0. Still, since XPATH is by far the slowest part, I will assume the FindFile approach is significantly faster than the RW 1.0 approach.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

ashaffee

Amazing changes. I'm currently testing out the features of 1.0. I can't complain about anything yet ( I'll update once my early game rounds up). Biggest thing I'm looking forward to is the difficulty increase and hopefully I'll feel it.

One big change that could offer  a really rewarding experience is if the enemy could have a chance to detect traps and then find a different path so the temptation of a cheese maze of traps is gone. Also detection of a kill box meaning if they entered an area and died before finding cover they proceeded to find a different path. Feels like I accidently cheat the system by walling off my base and have to self correct the difficulty by putting rules on myself.

jchavezriva

Quote from: Alenerel on June 17, 2018, 01:06:47 PM
Quote from: jchavezriva on June 17, 2018, 12:46:57 PM

I dont think so. He explained it several times in the past. Ludicrous breaks the game in some minor ways other than the massive memory and performance hit (which is pretty high tbh). For example, mortars in a siege might not be able to reach your base and thus making the event worthless. Caravans breaking mood cause of sleep deprivation cause they cant reach the exit in time, etc. Tynan said that the events arent balanced for a map this big and this might make the game unenjoyabe.

So with the requirement of having to explicitly enable the big maps, he makes sure that new players will at least try the game as he intends first, instead of making the possible mistake of playing the biggest map available cause "bigger is better and if its there is because i should play it".

400x400 map in the 64 bit version is working perfectly until now. No stuttering at all.
When caravans are forming now animals follow the colonists forming it. That should speed up the process enough to avoid that issue.
The thing regarding sieges is still a problem though. But its easy to fix...