Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Yeah we're gonna fix the colors, it was just an oversight from when I duplicated the faction defs.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

swampslug

Tynan, thank you for this. I haven't had much time to test this but a couple of things did jump out at me with regards to the new bridges.
I was building a little beach hut with decking over the water and discovered that
1) while you can build walls on top of bridges, you cannot place floors
2) the natural solution for a room partially on a bridge is to use the wooden floor to cover the sand/soil/whatever, however the wood patterns do not sync up.
3) bridges can only be built over water so you cannot just build a bridge under the entire structure for a consistent floor design.

While I realise that there may be very good reasons for not being able to place floors on bridges, would it at least be possible to align the artwork for bridges and wooden floors?

Tynan

Quote from: swampslug on June 20, 2018, 09:42:53 AM
Tynan, thank you for this. I haven't had much time to test this but a couple of things did jump out at me with regards to the new bridges.
I was building a little beach hut with decking over the water and discovered that
1) while you can build walls on top of bridges, you cannot place floors
2) the natural solution for a room partially on a bridge is to use the wooden floor to cover the sand/soil/whatever, however the wood patterns do not sync up.
3) bridges can only be built over water so you cannot just build a bridge under the entire structure for a consistent floor design.

While I realise that there may be very good reasons for not being able to place floors on bridges, would it at least be possible to align the artwork for bridges and wooden floors?

Yes, we should definitely do that. Thanks.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

PatrykSzczescie

I think you should also consider changing names color of pawns depending on the faction they belong to. We might see multiple factions on the same map fighting each other while we're not hostile to them. This could be handy in case we wanna use this situation, e.g. capturing people from the defeated faction.

Edit:// Also, consider players might abuse calling exotic goods traders of two opposing to each other factions and something has to be changed there.

Mihsan

Reporting with my medieval/tribal colony.

Was very surprised that I can craft steel plated armor, but there is no medieval helmet option other than wooden tribal mask. IMO steel helmet should be available to craft from blacksmithing table (not only on machining table).

Another old bug/quirk: crafting spot has 100% work speed, but hand-sewing table has 40% work speed. It is much faster to craft tribal clothes on primitive crafting spot rather than on advanced sewing table. It feels wrong.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Aerial

Quote from: Tynan on June 20, 2018, 07:11:54 AM
Thanks for the ongoing feedback! This is very useful.

Just so y'all know, the region I never put fishing (or many other suggested things like gold panning) into the game is because it would add another work type and maybe another skill. I consider this to be a pretty heavy interface/complexity burden, so I'm trying to add content that doesn't add more numbers and boxes to the primary ways people interact with the game.

To me, fishing fills an empty niche in extreme maps that don't support wildlife.  I've had colonies scrape through a harsh winter that drove all the animals off the map because they were able to fish.

Beyond that, though, fishing is fun from a gameplay perspective.  It's oddly relaxing to watch your pawn wander down to the dock and fish for a little while :-)

lancar

Quote from: Aerial on June 20, 2018, 09:58:32 AM

Just so y'all know, the region I never put fishing (or many other suggested things like gold panning) into the game is because it would add another work type and maybe another skill. I consider this to be a pretty heavy interface/complexity burden, so I'm trying to add content that doesn't add more numbers and boxes to the primary ways people interact with the game.

To me, fishing fills an empty niche in extreme maps that don't support wildlife.  I've had colonies scrape through a harsh winter that drove all the animals off the map because they were able to fish.

Beyond that, though, fishing is fun from a gameplay perspective.  It's oddly relaxing to watch your pawn wander down to the dock and fish for a little while :-)
I know a good way to solve this.
Instead of fishing with a rod, make it spearfishing instead and tie it to the Melee skill.
Rightclick the shore of a river or coast and select "Spearfishing"
Can be done with any melee weapon, but more effective with a spear equipped =)
Would also give a valid risk-free way to train Melee, to boot!

ashaffee

Bridges in this new game almost feel like terra forming. Nothing can't be built on them and you can ignore bodies of water and marshy soil. Although it is nice it seems like if we have bridges that moister pump needs to be removed from the game. Alternatively there could be multi tiers of bridges or inability to place walls on them.

Personally my plan in my playthrough is to scatter a few turrets and sandbags in my huge river to make for more interesting combat. But since I can build walls on them. Part of me just thinks it is best to pretend the river doesn't exist and just wall it completly off.

misterp_1000

Cataconic breakdowns are waaayyyy to frequent. ive got 5 during the last 20 minutes

Ser Kitteh

I 100% am behind a medieval helmet of a sort, considering we're getting plate armor already. It's very much an aesthetic thing, and considering we have revolvers, cowboy hats, dusters, power armor, and charge rifles, just shove a bucket helm and give it quite the Accuracy penalty.

klun

Mental debuff are too strong and often - bing food happen like 4 times in a row, then 3 berserk in a row

You cant build on bridges is that a bug or intentional ?
also any plans for after you complete/launch ships going back to world selection or perhaps another random world generated for a  somekind of endless mode?

Vito1189

Quote from: lancar on June 20, 2018, 10:09:39 AM
Quote from: Aerial on June 20, 2018, 09:58:32 AM

I know a good way to solve this.
Instead of fishing with a rod, make it spearfishing instead and tie it to the Melee skill.
Rightclick the shore of a river or coast and select "Spearfishing"
Can be done with any melee weapon, but more effective with a spear equipped =)
Would also give a valid risk-free way to train Melee, to boot!

Its a wonderfull idea!! i am agree with this!
Greetings uncle Tynnan!!
Call me Clap

Vito1189

There are any bugs about factions:
When you see factions,before the name: "Could not resolve any Root: Name FirstRulePack: NamerFactionOutlander" (And the faction under) And in the section about diplomacy it puts:"Enemy of ErrorName".
Call me Clap

ashaffee

Quote from: klun on June 20, 2018, 11:26:10 AM
Mental debuff are too strong and often - bing food happen like 4 times in a row, then 3 berserk in a row

I think you are undervalueing how important a quality dining room/ rec room and fine meals are worth. Even on extreme naked and brutal I made sure before year one to have 8 by 8 bedrooms for everyone (can be a little smaller). A slightly impressive dinning room with a chess table inside of it so it doubled as a rec room and a way to always have fine meals. I'm rolling on year two and mental breaks aren't the issue for me. Besides one stupid event.

A quest had my characters lover in a prison camp. Since I have no sniper rifles I can't kill turrets yet and didn't do the quest. My character went on a mental break for loss of a lover.

Madman666

God, 8 by 8 bedrooms... If you need such hungars for each person to just not suddenly go kill everything around them - its kind of broken. I agree about dining room, though for it to have any lasting effect you need an experienced artist.