Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadjung

After 2-3h of chill out playing on Cassandra Some Chalenge:
- clicking 'Clear all' in 'Dumping Stockpile' selects *Allow Rotten and *Allow fresh
- Textures looks like from 2 different games (i.e new texture of Fueled Smithy and Simple Research Bench)
- some textures looks strange/not represent stuff clearly (Steel - looks more like fabrics to me, Silver looks more like idk. steel maybe ?)
- combat feels easier
- moving colonists miniatures requires right-mouse-click -> took me some time since in B18 it took to world view
- trees needing research prior planting is good idea
- food poisoning might need tweaking a bit since it might make it easy to collapse colony early-on, if raid happens in bad moment (such is life though)

Madman666

Food poisoning doesn't might need tweaking. It definitely needs some. What do you even need to eat to get completely incapacitated? Gallons of rat poison? Shenanigans.

ashaffee

Yea I went to rescue a downed person for a quest and one of my 2 guys got food poisoning on the way and couldn't participate. Only conclusion I made was he ate bullets and thought they were berries on his way >.>.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Tynan on June 20, 2018, 07:11:54 AM
Just so y'all know, the region I never put fishing (or many other suggested things like gold panning) into the game is because it would add another work type and maybe another skill. I consider this to be a pretty heavy interface/complexity burden, so I'm trying to add content that doesn't add more numbers and boxes to the primary ways people interact with the game.

Boom. Rainbeau's always been great at those "now that you mention it, I would like to see that in the game" mods. It's fairly sensical and well thought-out too. It's a new job type, and uses the animals skill. I'd say it's pretty balanced, as it never really surpasses hunting. You might need to fish for a day to get the same amount of meet you'd expect from, say, a deer. It's tough to exploit, as there can only be so many fishing spots in the same area, meaning you probably need multiple water sources to fish from. At the same time, it can be a great way to train animal skill when you don't want that more mouths to feed, and a high enough skill can get you some pretty neat fish. I'm not getting my hopes up that it'll get added, but it'd be neat to see considered.

Quote from: Tynan on June 20, 2018, 07:48:37 AM
I'm pushing another build.
. . .
Raiders are no longer allowed to self-tend.

Oh, c'mon Tynan! Maybe it's just a me-thing, but I like my enemies to have agency. If we can do it, why can't they? That's why I have a love-hate relationship with sieges and kidnappings. As somebody who has self-tending pawns, it's certainly not over-powered. Sure, if it meant removing all their pain, refilling them with all their lost blood, and making them infection-proof, I could see why it'd get removed, but I've never seen that happen. Worst-case scenario, the guy who was going to survive to flee with a couple scratches is going to flee with a couple bandages on those scratches. Best-case, we've got the same amount of enemies, except half as accurate and one or two good hits from going unconscious. If you were to take away their ability to self-tend, then you might as well take away their ability to tunnel through boxes we put them in, and remove the packaged survival meals from sieges.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Gfurst

Quote from: Madman666 on June 20, 2018, 05:03:30 PM
Food poisoning doesn't might need tweaking. It definitely needs some. What do you even need to eat to get completely incapacitated? Gallons of rat poison? Shenanigans.
The only case I had from food poisoning was a dog who ate pemmican, and still was during a time where I had a butcher next to my stove.

doomdrvk

Can make a fueled stove but can't make a campfire? Tynan what is this thought process?

Madman666

Quote from: Tynan on June 20, 2018, 07:48:37 AM
I'm pushing another build.

I see some nice changes. Thanks, Tynan. I am really glad herbal medicine no longer takes a quadrum to grow and your graphic overhaul for 1.0 is nothing short of majestic.

The only thing that saddened me is that raiders now can't self tend. I was really surprised and glad when I saw that guests, allies and enemies actually got some brains, enough to dress those gaping wounds that'll kill them in couple hours. Unless allowing them self-tend is messing up something in their AI, or opens up an exploit for player to use - I suggest allowing them to self-tend again.

I would also like to make a humble request to leave those measly 3% for masterwork and legendary item crafting. Relying on quests and inspirations is like awaiting for rain in a desert. You can only hallucinate one, instead of getting it. Those are way too rare, they happen on absolutely random person (when all your guys decently happy), mostly not the one who can build\craft something useful and they're short, so crafting anything complex won't make it before inspiration ends. Can you please bring back those 3% chance to roll a legendary on level 20 skilled crafters\builders\artists?

Anyway, nice update. Big thanks for your hard work.

medzernik

Quote from: Gfurst on June 20, 2018, 03:41:31 PM
Quote from: medzernik on June 20, 2018, 12:42:27 PM
The more complexity the games has, the better it is. It would be nice to have some form of fishing. That is to say, for example mods that add hygiene do add complexity, but IMO it's too annoying and not fun, because it is mandatory in a way.
This is not true at all, your first sentence that is, while its true that adding depth complexity can make the game more interesting, making it a hassle and micro to manage would just make the game worse busy work. Just as the modded example you gave.
I for one am against fishing, since it would require a lot whole complexity to be satisfying, and in many ways just a cheaty way to find food, and therefor break game balance.
I wanted instead to have some form of hydration mechanics, just because its such a massive point in survival and could make a difference for example between an arid desert and settling near a river. But on the other hand if it was just adding another need and a well building, it would again just be pointless busy work bringing no more joy the game itself. Tynan is already working on this with the flowing river, bridge and waterwell generator, so I trust him to make the best decision there.

A fair point. Sometimes though, I wish the game was a bit more deep (I know mods can fix this, but many mods don't have the elegance that Tynan has with game design). The fishing would be annoying though, I agree.

ashaffee

Found something weird in my crash landed start. My cat has been assigned the entire map besides my food. I see rats all around us but it won't hunt. If it can't figure it out soon we will be eating cat I suppose.

HexCube

Hey Tynan, and all you other magnificent people working on the game, I haven't had a chance to play much of the unstable build, but from what I have, here's my feedback;

- Graphic overhauls are much appreciated, and were much needed - personally, I think they fit a lit more with the game. Side Note: I love the new green/red UI for placing buildings, much more obvious than the old one.
- The Ship AI core, I'm sure, exists only to frustrate those of us who enjoy symmetry. Please. For the love of symmetry. Make it either 2x2 cells or 4x4 - I don't care which, but I don't want to have to build two to make myself a symmetrical ship! Even up the resource cost a little, if you must :P
- I must say I agree with a lot of what people are saying about Legendary and Masterwork items, they were already pretty difficult to come across, requiring much of an investment in a pawn's skills, and many many resources just to get one or two - maybe reduce it from 3% to 2%, or even 1.5%, but I disagree with making them essentially uncraftable now - inspirations are too unreliable, and, in my experience, never happen to a pawn that will really benefit from them.
- As suggested, maybe fishing would be a good addition - I saw an earlier suggestion that would require no additional skill, and tie it to mele (spear fishing, I believe.) Obvoiusly it's not an essential feature, but I think it'd be nice to have, if it isn't a ridiculously difficult thing to implement.
- 64-bit is amazing, thank you for putting in the time and effort for it, it makes the game run smoother, and will make my post-1.0 100+ mod-filled colonies run at more than 3fps! Though it would seem that you've implemented a lot of QOL mods in 1.0 - a big thank-you for that!
- I know it's probably a pointless thing to ask, but would multi-core support be super difficult to implement at this stage? I have an overclocked i7 6700K, and a GTX 1080, but most of that power isn't used by Rimworld. I read what you've said on the subject, and agree that 64-bit will be better (as someone else mentioned) for battery on laptops, so would it then be possible for it to be a toggleable option? If not for 1.0, as it's probably a bit late now, would it maybe be a possibility for a future update?
- New armour - always welcomed, and the new armour system is a welcome addition. Though, as another user suggested, maybe negate blunt/sharp/piercing armour for cloth clothes, etc. and leave it to synththread, hyperweave, devilstrand, etc. Maybe stronger leathers too? I'd leave the heat/cold armour though, personally. A T-Shirt won't stop you getting shot, stabbed, or punched, but it will stop a burn for a while.
- Speaking of leathers, the cleaned up leather types is another change for the better - much appreciated. Maybe we could have something similar for meats, since most are similar. Perhaps separate them into avian (chicken, turkey, emu, etc.), white (fish? boar, pig, etc.), red (muffalo, thrumbo? alpaca?, etc.), human, insect, and dog (small mood debuff, or negated mood bonus? Most people would prefer not to eat a dog.) I feel like this would help de-clutter the interface even more.
- A little nitpicky thing, leftover from B18, may have been patched in the unstable release, but I haven't seen it anywhere. Could we have the game prevent bonded animals from being butchered automatically? Call me sentimental, but if my colony's husky dies, I don't want my colonists eating him/her for the next week, I want to give him/her a proper burial/sarcophagus. Just a suggestion. Maybe add a tag to their body, and an option to butcher recipies to prevent this? Maybe a small mood bonus, or lesser mood debuff to the bonded human if the animal is given a grave or sarcophagus?
- I agree with one of the above posts on stone walls, they take longer to build, are more sturdy, in real life, insulate fairly well, but in rimworld, you still need two layers if you want a decent freezer. Maybe buff their insulation for a bit of convenience/balance? Personally, I think their build time is a fair trade for their added benefits, but more insulation would be nice.
- On the topic of insulation, maybe there should be some sort of bonus with floors (though this may be ingame already, I don't know) - i.e. stone/steel floors provide more insulation than dirt? May be a little impractical, I'm not sure - thoughts?
- Can't remember if it was in the patch notes/changelog, and I haven't come across it yet, but is power armour still giving a -10% work speed? I would imagine it would be somewhat similar to an exosuit, boosting the user's strength, durability, armour, speed, workspeed, etc. Similarly, I would imagine that the power armour helmet would increase the wearer's sight/combat effectiveness - think inbuilt HUD. Just a thought :)

These are just my suggestions and feedback, overall, you've done an amazing job so far, and Rimworld remains one of my favourite games.  Thank-you Tynan (and the rest of your amazing dev team) for providing me, and many others with endless hours of fun.

thegangmaster

Sometimes when a melee fighter attacks a gunner, the gunner shoots point-blank. This means grenadiers throw greandes at their feet, blowing themselves up. Is this a bug?

Crow_T

bug or feature, game doesn't pause on mad animal incident. I just got whooped as an ibex was on me and attacking pretty much instantly while playing at high speed. "Pause on urgent letter" is checked in options.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

NiftyAxolotl

Beginning of Jugust, 5501 with a tribe on a tropical swamp, told by Cassandra Rough.
(previously: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41766.msg412112#msg412112 and https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41766.msg411714#msg411714)

I've recruited a second animal trainer - not as skilled as the first, but useful for other things as well.
A boomalope and a second elephant have self-tamed, which is just silly. Are untrained animals supposed to obey area restrictions? Before that second elephant was trained, it tended to hang out in the barracks. At night. With all my colonists' delicate skulls resting in sleeping bags on the floor. It didn't crush anyone, but it did disturb their sleep about as much as you would expect.

There were heavy losses due to fire after a gunfight, but the Alpaca Strike Force has grown to twenty animals. It could be more, but there isn't any first-class wildlife left to tame. I may start going after wild elephants, since my primary trainer is now highly skilled.

There hasn't been a serious threat for quite some time now. Should I be worried?

[attachment deleted due to age]

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on June 19, 2018, 11:36:20 AM
I see a new patch has come out. Wished I said this bit earlier:

When placing a blueprint for a sunlamp, it would be nice to see the outline of the light. I'm designing a hydroponics room while pausing and it's an equal annoyance to not remember the light outline.

EDIT: Also should mention, colonists hang around campfires that are dead. Whether that's a bug or not, well you do you Tynan.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=39019.msg396957#msg396957

Dolphinizer

A few quick bits of feedback.
I think the being downed from just food poisoning thing is ridiculous and kind of obnoxious, if you don't have a high level chef it happens all the time and it really is annoying. Also currently waterwheels are way too strong, with the locking of solar panels behind a technology is means right now you pretty much have to drop by a river if you want viable earlygame power options in a low wood environment now.