Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatrykSzczescie

Quote from: Daniel_USA on June 20, 2018, 03:53:31 PM
Campfire requires 3 construction but stove doesn't.

I think the campfire and the stove are backwards.

Yeah, and imagine you don't have such level of construction and your mining skill is so low that you can't mine enough steel within a few days for a stove.

DariusWolfe

A few things:

Potential bug, not sure if new with UB1.0, but I never noticed it in B18, but pets fleeing when a creature goes manhunter, even when that creature attacks their own master. I've seen it happen twice with a warg; Once when the warg was hunting the creature and caused it to go manhunter, the second time a random manhunter event, the warg fled while it attacked the warg's master.

Regarding "tainted" clothes: Do they serve any purpose anymore, other than temporarily filling gaps in your own colonists' wardrobes? Before I could sell them for a pittance, but now no one buys tainted, even for basically nothing. I'm not sure I understand the motivation of this change, and now I'm starting to get large piles of clothing I can't easily get rid of; I've taken to sending them out with caravans so I can drop them into the wild, as I don't want to waste wood just to dispose of useless clothes.

Here's a bit of a Play Story. Is extreme cold killing hives a new thing?  I'm running a colony right now where there were three pre-existing hives on the map, and I built somewhat near to one of them. I walled off one entrance so that I could move past it without triggering an attack, but left the other two open, and forbade the area from my colonists and pets. As it was a temperate desert climate (30/60 growing) food was often scarce, both animal and plant, but I was able to keep things going by supplementing my meager rice crops with carefully stolen insect jelly. Then the cold snap came, right at the end of autumn and killed a large chunk of my crops; Little did I realize at the time, but it also killed the hives, releasing the bugs to roam around, and killing my supply of insect jelly. I made it through the winter largely because the bugs kept starving to death and I could use their corpses in meals, but by spring, I was literally living on the edge of starvation, even with resorting to cannibalism. I decided to send out a hunting expedition, forgetting that set-up camp was a mod, so I settled nearby, hunted some  camels, and headed back, abandoning the temporary settlement so I wouldn't get events and lag from the secondary map. But lo and behold, I couldn't repeat the attempt a few days later, when I was starting to run low on food, as "Abandoned Settlement" blocks any future attempts at settlement. I think this part isn't new, but I haven't run into it as a problem much before this time, and it really put a cramp in my food supply. I even attempted to send out my cook to forage for food (as well as keep my pack animals fed via grazing) but even with his increased foraging amounts, I'd burn through more food than I'd gain with this technique.

PatrykSzczescie

Thanks, Tynan, for this stuff.

Edit:// Although I'd be grateful if the next priority wouldn't go this way:
fine meals -> simple meals -> lavish meals -> nutrient paste meals -> pemmican -> rice.

Mehni

Shouldn't the removal of the Force Miss Radius for the minigun be accompanied by the removal of its ability to target everywhere? It's now more of a "gun" rather than "aim in this general direction" machine.

Conversely, the Incendiary launcher SHOULD have the ability to target everywhere. It's an explosive device with a radius, it would make sense to Aim Incendiary Anywhere. Apart from that it sees far more use against groups of raiders after they've died, if you catch my drift.

YoruOokami

I'm having a few red errors when pawns have a tantrum, usually happens a few seconds after the notification. I have one mod (Numbers) in 1.0 latest version and the save is 1 version old.

Log:

Okay so the logs too big I think for the forum, How do I attach it is like a closable text box or a file?
I think the logs about the specific pawn having a tantrum starting 10 jobs in 10 ticks and it lists the jobs?, I'm not too good at reading the log- also it happened repeatedly throughout the entire tantrum, sometimes without letting me close the window for more then a second.

Tynan

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm reading carefully.

Yoru: If you just copy the error part out of the log you could paste it in a bug report in the bugs forum. You can text search the file for "error".

Pushing another build. Rough change list:

-----

Differentiated colors of different variants of the same faction type.
Remove uranium cost from shield belt.
Applied Jon's new properly-aligned wood floor texture, and made the burned version for it. Applied Jon's proper headless projectile graphics for firefoam and incendiary shells that match the item graphics (e.g. no head).
Rebalanced deep resources: More resources per cell, smaller but more numerous lumps, plasteel and uranium more common, silver moved to same low commonality as jade and gold.
Revert some recent increases to sowing time.
Reduce food poison chances significantly.
Adjusted poker table graphics to standard table style (filling the cells).
Solve a quirk where some items are faster to craft at crafting spot than on proper benches (e.g. tribalwear). Solution: -Set crafting spot to 50% speed. -Crafting spot and butcher spot are both now subject to temperature and outdoors work speed penalties. -Made smokeleaf joint and pekoe makeable at drug lab. -Adjusted work speed penalties, outdoors 80%->90%, bad temperature 60%->70%.
Group melee-related stats away from ranged-related stats.
Group Miss Radius and Direct Hit Chance stats.
Add Direct Hit Chance to shot report.
Fixed bugs, made a debug output for, and rebalanced the code that adjusts backstory selection chances to try to achieve a relatively even spread of work disable commonalities.
Fix 3442: Typo in Mini-Turret's description
Intercept_Object_HitChancePerFillPercent 0.10 -> 0.15
-Random intercept chance for wild projectiles is now the same as hitting cover for world objects adjacent to the target. This solves issues where if two people are hunkered behind sandbags, it can be weirdly likely to hit the neighbor of your true target since the sandbags don't protect him at all, while they do protect your true target. Unfortunately this doesn't perfectly solve the issue when the shooter misses *behind* the target since the sandbags aren't adjacent to the target point. Still have to work on that. -Fix: Shots can randomly intercept targets who are inside the destination cell (now it only hits using the target cell impact code). -Improve on-map shooting debug output. -Increased chance factor for randomly intercepting world objects for wild shots 0.07 -> 0.10. -Intercept_Pawn_HitChanceFactor_LayingDown 0.10 -> 0.15. -Condense shooting-related tunable constants into ShootTunings
Fix: If a hunt target gets up after being downed, it still gets slaughtered in melee.
Added XML translation handles so it's easier to translate list elements.
Added RulePack.rulesFiles field which just instantiates specially formatted Rule_Files so translators can add more Rule_Files. Added MayTranslate attribute.
Fix 3448: Buildings marked for deconstruction yield no resources, so colonists should not refuel them
Added translation repos clone/push scripts.
Minor clarity text changes in bill config dialog.
Open doors no longer always intercept stray bullets. Chance reduced to 5%.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

XghosT7

Quote from: Tynan on June 21, 2018, 04:35:49 AM
Pushing another build. Rough change list:
-Snap

Hello tynan, there is a mechanic that's a bit weird in the game, for example:

I go force harvest 3 berry bushes and when my pawn is done it comes back to base to do some other job but it DOESNT HAUL the berrys, i have to manually make her haul it and sometimes that's really annoying because a berry bush might be a bit far than the other so it doesnt even collect all berrys just 2 of them and leaves the 3rd unhauled cause its a bit far.. so i have to take 2 back and then force haul the 3rd one too, could u look for a better implementation for this or explain why its like that? i dont really mind the 2nd problem that i mentioned but the first one is really clunky...

I see another clunkyness too:

How can campfire require 3 construction to be built and stove is 0?, i think it should be the opposite way, logically campfire should be way easier than setting up a stove....

Canute

QuoteDifferentiated colors of different variants of the same faction type.
What do you think about to add a choose colour at the faction tab, so player can modify the colour at their needs.

Madman666

I am really liking the changes, though i'd still prefer to not have simple food poisoning knock out colonists, instead of making it less common. Because its still weird as all hell to see a pawn drop from eating some berries.

Glad to see maps deep resources rebalanced. In this case i am fine with them being longer to mine and causing bugs to spawn - at least they're richer and can sustain you for longer time. Nice.

And what can i say about shooting changes? Amazing! Projectiles hitting a pawn thats next to the target with near 100% probability even behind sandbags was one big complaint of mine, you always had to just scatter them as far as you can to avoid constant damage. This one change will definitely make direct confrontations with raiders more of a viable way to defeat raids.

Well and i guess I still hold a little hope of seeing masterwork\legendary qualities back from the abyss and raiders having brains to patch themselves up.

FrozenSnowFox

Made smokeleaf joint and pekoe makeable at drug lab.

Glad to see this was added.  The smokeleaf recipe still specifically excludes workspeedstat and workskill though.  It's the only drug that does not become faster to craft with bionics or other bonuses which is a bit weird.

Tynan

Quote from: FrozenSnowFox on June 21, 2018, 05:42:14 AM
Made smokeleaf joint and pekoe makeable at drug lab.

Glad to see this was added.  The smokeleaf recipe still specifically excludes workspeedstat and workskill though.  It's the only drug that does not become faster to craft with bionics or other bonuses which is a bit weird.

Really? I didn't even realize that and I can't imagine why. I tend to forget why my game works as it does after a year or two. Will have to look into it. Goldfish life.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

XeoNovaDan

Will wood's blunt and possibly heat resistance StuffPower stats get nerfed? There are some odd quirks with wood compared to steel, best shown through a simple armour StuffPower comparison.

Wood:
    - 30% sharp resistance
    - 30% blunt resistance
    - 50% heat resistance

Steel:
    - 50% sharp resistance
    - 25% blunt resistance
    - 40% heat resistance

While some wood types are durable, surely they can't be any more durable than solid steel. Also, heat resistance should definitely be lower since wood would easily combust when in contact with flames, whereas steel wouldn't. I guess the rationale for the latter is the fact that metal is conductive, and damp wood might be more effective in this case?

Also, maybe stuffed melee weapons should use a similar StuffPower setup to apparel, since they still use the old weapon types as bases and material multipliers, rather than the other way around. It probably won't have any impact on gameplay, but it'll make them consistent with apparel which could be easier for newer players.

YoruOokami

A suggestion (Thanks for the answer to my last post by the way, Will do that)
Is there some way for the AI (Pathing?) of pawns to be altered, in a way that meant that they tended to try and avoid walking through rooms that other pawns were sleeping in- not a super strong, must avoid pathing, but a "If possible" kind of avoid, and even further/alternatively if there was a way to label a room as a pawns and other pawns wont go in there unless ordered to, or theres a danger inside it? (Such as a fire, or being order to hide in it/equip a weapon in it)

So for example, in a starter house with a barrack and the fastest route is to go through the barrack to get to the dining table, but theres another door a little further away. Currently the pawn will head through the barrack and annoy all the sleeping pawns at night to get a midnight snack. With this altered behaviour/pathing the pawn will instead take a couple extra steps and avoid annoying/waking up all of his fellow colonists. After all its only polite :)

Teleblaster18

Some thoughts on 1.0 Unstable after my second all-night session:

Things I really like:

-The Family/Raid relationships add excellent depth to the game story; so far, I've managed to recruit a father, his brother, and captured his son during a Pirate raid; the son is at 93% difficulty to recruit, however.  I'd love to see the probability of recruitment get modified (easier) based on how many family members are in the colony already.

-Smoothing stone walls is great; love the beauty modifier.

-Watermills, even slightly debuffed in the latest update, are excellent.

-Thank you, Tynan, for decreasing the frequency of Food Poisoning; only two instances in an all-night session.  It feels much more reasonable, although I'd still like to see the ability to send a colonist to a medical bed, even if the poisoning severity can't be mitigated by medicine.

Things I'm not crazy about:

-Minimum skills for basic survival items (Building a campfire, crafting a Short Bow come immediately to mind)

-The grouping together of all 10 Area zones, instead of 5 for Pawns, 5 for Animals; having 10 options visible on the screen at once makes it far more difficult to quickly identify the zones and select them, since the zone names become truncated and unreadable.  It also increases the chances of making an error in choosing a zone, since they're much smaller to click on. Slide selecting vertically down the column is much harder to do accurately (like when you'd select all animals to a "Barn" zone during a raid).

-Two toggle buttons which seperate room stats from "beauty" graphic indicators, instead of one button that includes both stats; it's a bit unwieldy, and I enjoyed having all stats on one toggle.

Things I'm actively disliking:

-The removal of boar capability to haul.  I understand that boar swarms were very OP, but the solution would seem simple: remove the ability to follow a master, and the ability to release in an attack.  Their real utility was their ability to haul, without having to ramp up Kibble production for Dogs, which can easily strangle an early game's food supply (in both meat and Hay production).  Pigs don't work in this role either, IMO: they can't be found and tamed in the wild, and they'll die on colder maps. 

My suggestion would be to give only large Predatory *wild* animals (Bears, Wolves, Wargs and Large Cats only...and not Foxes, Elephants, Rhinos, Megasloths or Thrumbos) and Huskies the ability to attack/follow.  The upkeep cost of this category would seem to offset the benefits of having them attack, in my estimation, and would make building a meat shield very expensive...and equally as expensive to rebuild.

Bugs:

-Only one encountered so far: a wooden floor could not be cleaned of dirt over several game days, regardless of which pawn attempted it.  All prerequisites were met (floor was zoned as "Home" area, all colonists assigned to cleaning and "Unrestricted", pawns left the room and returned later).  The floor was deconstructed and re-constructed, and could then be cleaned normally.

Thanks for reading!  I've got about 20 hours into 1.0 compared to about 2,500 hours in B18...I'm really eager to see how gameplay develops once I get into mid-game!

Madman666

Increased rate at which those damned family members show up in raids is actually a really bad thing i kinda wish it was toned down back to B18 level. With game's usual death\down check for me it always ends up with atrocious mood debuffs "my great grand father's second cousin's brother died, he was such a wonderful person!" despite said person trying to eat his face off, followed by "I am gonna kill every last one of you!" because my mood is so low.