Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockchecker

I'm fairly early on in my first playthrough of 1.0. I picked a random starting location, which has a creek running diagonally pretty much straight through the middle of the entire map. I have noticed many times that a colonist will decide to go for a walk... straight into the creek, for a -10 "soaking wet" debuff!

If a colonist is going on a walk for fun, why would they walk into the creek? Could the pathing be adjusted so they don't do this?

On a related note, colonists seem to take a LOT more joy breaks now than they did before. I have four colonists, and only one or two are generally working at a time. Maybe this changes as you get further into the game? But right now the overall colonist mood seems pretty low, even though I didn't take any colonists with traits affecting mood.

TheMeInTeam

Yeah maybe I'm missing something but there doesn't seem to be any counterplay to a lot of joy tolerance building --> less joy from doing activities --> constantly lower moods than previously.  As a result mood was heavily nerfed in 1.0, not sure if that's intentional or not though.

Dargaron

Fortunately, it looks like I just hit a run of bad luck regarding skeeviness. Recently, the most offensive thing my colonist has done is offer Bat free, fresh pumpkins despite the fact that:
1. It's currently the dead of winter on the tundra.
2.Pumpkins aren't in the game!

He's also talked to her about training Hippopotomuss, which I don't think are in the game yet. Shame on you, Dargaron!

Since Tynan asked us to report on the raid difficulty as the game progresses: I'm doing a Rich Explorer run, with all of the "free colonist" events turned off. Difficult is Rough, storyteller is Cassandra Clasisic.

The first year, the largest raid was two penitents, wich was a good thing, since my dude was stuck in an 8-by-6 Marble room w/ a heater, and my wealth gain was basically nil for that year. Once I had a wall up and running and started accumulating stuff, the raids started to pick up. By winter of 5502, still with one colonist (plus the unfortunate Bat, who still won't join me in my conquest of the galaxy), I'm getting raids of 6 or so people with crappy gear (although getting hit by a bunch of Machine Pistol bullets still hurts).

It's nice that raiders and visitors will bandage themselves now: I'm noticing a drop in the number of caravan members that I have to patch up after they get mauled by a vicious, vicious Arctic Fox.

Haven't done much with animal handling: I had a Husky show up earlier in 5502, and he's been nice and cuddly, but I haven't managed to train him yet. It's something of a race to see which comes first: Xerox trained to haul, or Bat getting recruited by Mr. Creepy Breathing.

Probably the biggest hurdle with this setup is the change to tree sowing: Normally by this point I'd have a bunch of Oak Trees ready to harvest, but that's not in the cards. I've had Alphabeavers thrice so far, and it's not like there are many trees on the Tundra to start with. So, it's been stone beds and steel workbenches for everyone!

Serina

Recreation (joy) definitely plays a bigger role in 1.0 than in B18. I remember being able to set 2-3 hours, usually before bed for specific "joy" time for each colonist and they were fine. Now they seem to require at least 4-5 hours of recreation. I set recreation time a couple of hours before bed and after they wake up. Imo, I don't mind the changes. It makes sense that the colonists require to take several breaks throughout or an extended period if they're constantly working 10+ hours per day.  :)

Vintorez

I like that Prostophile, now transhumanist, can now be satisfied with non-bionic parts, but I think something like a peg leg isn't exactly what a transhumanist would consider an upgrade to their body. It'd make more sense for different parts to have different degrees of affect on the mood effect. A wooden foot/peg leg could reduce/neutralize the negative effects but would require prosthetic or better to gain a positive buff. Could also be something like a wooden limb counts as 1 body part, prosthetic counts as 2, and bionic as 3 or 4. Values and descriptions would need to be adjusted of course.

ashaffee

Just did a trade caravan mission with 1 person and got ambushed. It was 1 person with weapon wealth equal to what I am seeing in raids. Caravans are definitely on the right track to being a much more worth it part of the game to explore. I do think prison breaks should offer more information though. They are assumed to always have way to high of a risk with out having any idea of the reward.  If it was a research tech to send out a spy on a caravan mission to give us any type of information then it might be worth it.

Edit: He is still on his way home got hit with a manhunter pack of 1 elk. Interesting events. Seems like trade missions are probably best with two people one of them being a doctor.

To the previous comments about sappers. I got my first sapper raid it was about 20-25 people. I had 7 colonist all in plated armor and basic weapons. They spawned on both sides of the map. But my multi layer defense basically just turned it into a shotgun brawl between doors of my base after I picked off like 8 of them from outside. They didn't retreat requiring me to kill all of them which was really fun. Basically everyone got injured but only 1 person downed by end of the fight  since it kept becoming 3 vs 1s in bedrooms kinda fights.

Jaredmatt200

How do you exactly get the unstable version if you bought through the website and not through steam?????

Bozobub

Thanks, belgord!

YoruOokami

Small QoL feature suggestion, a button to remove all priorities in the work tab.

It would be useful when you're setting up all of your priorities in a new game by giving you a blank slate to work from, rather then a mess of auto-set priorities.
Could also include the ability for specific pawns priorities to be cleared (A button at the start/end of their line in the table?) which would help with pawns added mid-game or if you want to re-do one pawns priorities but not any others.

Thanks Tynan and the rest of the dev's for the awesome releases so far!

Yoshida Keiji

The enemy weapon display bar is nice but misses the total count, in this particular scenario, there were 3 to 4 guys with a revolver so a counter like: Revolver x4 would definitely polish the new feature.

Next:

A long standing problem, we need an AI patch that prioritizes "Rest" over feeding when a pawn is wounded so that this doesn't happen anymore:

Currently it can be solved by just moving the pawn away and only then undrafting, but its an unnatural move under an attack behavior. Also since Doctors can also feed patients, eating can be left for later. We all had experienced so far that heavy wounded characters would go bleeding all over the colony and dinning room in order to eat first and then care about their lives... A new patch will certainly increase the workload of Doctors but it would be more reasonable and logic to me.

Pathing still continues to be a problem. How hard would it be to include a heat map that tells the AI Pathing where the bullets are coming from? So that pawns would avoid that "map sector", so as to not "think" it's walk in the park time? I mean...we do have the "Battle music on"...so why not some altered behavior during these times?

Diana Winters

The new armor system seems to punish using hard hitting/slow fire rate weapons, where weapons that fire a ton of projectiles can at least get a hit in per burst instead of having the one shot fired (from something like a sniper) be deflected.

Madman666

Its quite refreshing, to have armor actually protect you from sniper rifle oneshots for a change. I quite like it. Also makes you choose your target for a sniper pawn more carefully, since there s a decent chance of a block and cooldown on it is long.

Zoolder

Quote from: Diana Winters on June 22, 2018, 11:10:25 PM
The new armor system seems to punish using hard hitting/slow fire rate weapons, where weapons that fire a ton of projectiles can at least get a hit in per burst instead of having the one shot fired (from something like a sniper) be deflected.

Very much this, it's the old Warhammer issue. I really think damage reduction was the way to go, there can still be random deflects, just more rare or maybe make penetration a different stat entirely to add another layer of weapon variety. High pen weapons could also be more likely to damage organs?

Trblz42

A couple of findings in my last play through - first 2 years Randy Rough:

• pyromaniac too powerful - before 1.0 another colonist could easily keep up fighting fire when a pyro goes on a spree. In 1.0 the pyro becomes a firestorm, within 1 game hour, (s)he would light a 20 x 20 square easily.
  • colonist will path through swamps while drier routes are available and then complain about being wet/soaked etc
  • roof and roof collapse over a large river without mountains in the area.

the following could just be Randy Random (my last game was alpha 16 releases)

• in murderous rage, colonist seem to have 100% kill chance
  • meteorite made of Uranium  8) - maybe this was just Randi.
  • multiple cargo pods / meteorites in a game day
  • multiple raids at the same time from different directions - i do like the challenge
Don't panic and carry a towel

DariusWolfe

Quote from: PhantomFav on June 22, 2018, 04:15:47 PM
Honestly, I have found the "Forageability" and the "Forageability Rate" pretty pointless. When food is over, berries (100%) sustain the caravan for only few hours, meanwhile agave fruit (25%) is so slow to increase, that doesn't affect the durability of a caravan in any way. I think this part need a rebalance. In any case, you can't administer this scarse resources, for the the most needy pawns.

I've found it to be useful, personally. I sent a guy out, literally did not have enough food to get there, and all of the stops along the way were hostile. I should have planned it better, but I was honestly curious how foraging would work out. It actually worked out very well, for me. He ran out of food half-way through; The kibble I sent was literally the only long-term food I had, and it ended up giving him food poisoning. Between the food poisoning and him toking through the smokeleaf joints I sent as a trade good he was mostly immobile for a day or so, but with a few judicious pauses to utilize the double-forage, his malnutrition never went above the lowest grade, and often dipped down into fine; He made a 4-day trip while starting out with only 2 days of food. His foraging rate was only middlin', but I was fortunate that most of the trip was through 100% foraging territory.

I wouldn't mind if it were kicked up a bit, but overall, I found it to be very useful, and an additionally worthwhile reason to allow all of my pawns to sow and harvest, despite the loss of food in the short term due to a failed harvest, just as a way to build growing skill.