Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anotherrimworld

When managing drug policies it still uses 'joy' instead of 'recreation'. Loving the update

Teleblaster18

-Revert "Nutrient paste dispenser no longer requires research."

There's a nutrient paste dispenser-shaped hole in my heart right now, but not in my kitchen; it didn't get wiped from last night's change like watermills have in the past, even though my guys haven't researched it yet.   I'm going to prioritize researching it so I don't feel like I got a freebie.

Looks like goop is still on the menu, boys! 

Ambaire

Quote from: rkade8583 on June 25, 2018, 08:18:22 AM
Can I request a tool to allow me to mine an entire node? Or make steel easier to see? As is, I'm having to dev-mode it to mine full nodes and, frankly, steel is way harder to see than it needs to be (especially around granite and sandstone at least for me. I have the same problem with Uranium and Marble.)

Yeah, some of the mineable resources are way too hard to see, at least for me. Especially since I play on a 1440p monitor and the default zoom has everything ant-sized. How hard would it to do a graphical mod that would essentially make uranium/compacted x 'pop out' against the background terrain? I'd even consider inverted colors for them.

Teleblaster18

A HUGE thumbs up regarding bills, btw:  the "Copy to Clipboard" feature is a major change for the better.  Just had a reason to use it for the first time.

Greep

I can see why the difficulty naming was changed, not sure how I feel about it, though.   Now that the overall game is a little harder, it makes more sense to emphasize that higher difficulties will just murder you.

That being said, perhaps it's best to just retire extreme instead.  I'm not even sure intense is possible using naked brutality on a cold map now, so hardcore dudes still have something impossible to try and win xD
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Ambaire

Quote from: Greep on June 26, 2018, 01:06:58 AM
I can see why the difficulty naming was changed, not sure how I feel about it, though.   Now that the overall game is a little harder, it makes more sense to emphasize that higher difficulties will just murder you.

Please enlighten the rest of the thread. Especially me.. I can see no possible reason for it beyond anti-fun and dumbing stuff down.

Teleblaster18

Possible glitch/bug in the way snow is melting on the map during a change of seasons:

I'm using last night's save with tonight's update, if that has any bearing on things.

Greep

Yeah actually the difficulty menu does have highlight text, so you'd have to be really dense not to understand what you're getting yourself into >.>
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Greep on June 26, 2018, 01:06:58 AM

That being said, perhaps it's best to just retire extreme instead.  I'm not even sure intense is possible using naked brutality on a cold map now, so hardcore dudes still have something impossible to try and win xD

I have a relatively stable cas/extreme NB start with around 8 pawns nearing end of 5501.

I did make one tweak to the starting scenario though.  I switched from "new arrivals" to "new tribe" :).  That said, it took a few failures and re-thinking the opening to get something functional.  First run died to massed sapper tbagging (winnable, but 1.0 changed AI and I hadn't adjusted yet), second to early malaria.  Then I took a break with 3 man tribe start before going back to NB to practice my "open ancient dangers immediately" approach.

After some finagling with that I can handle those pretty consistently now, and thus could play out of most starting positions on NB/extreme (no sea ice, and not having a bow makes ice sheet more RNG, on others you can craft bow to proc cryptosleep at range). 

There are plenty of better players out there than me, so it's a bit early to go retiring extreme difficulty!

Polder

Lost yet another NB attempt due to the mad animal event (which always triggers within a few days), followed by infection that progresses faster than immunity even when resting the entire time in a clean room and bed. There is no healroot on the map and no time to cultivate it.

Tynan

Quote from: Polder on June 26, 2018, 02:13:11 AM
Lost yet another NB attempt due to the mad animal event (which always triggers within a few days), followed by infection that progresses faster than immunity even when resting the entire time in a clean room and bed. There is no healroot on the map and no time to cultivate it.

Serious question: Should I write on the scenario description "this scenario is unfair"? Because it is, and it must remain so. Especially if you're choosing biomes without healroot.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Teleblaster18

Quote from: Tynan on June 26, 2018, 02:24:55 AM
Quote from: Polder on June 26, 2018, 02:13:11 AM

Serious question: Should I write on the scenario description "this scenario is unfair"? Because it is, and it must remain so. Especially if you're choosing biomes without healroot.
A disclaimer might be in order, but I pray you don't change the scenario itself.

"This scenario is meant to be unfair...proceed at your own risk." might be a better choice of wording.  I personally don't find it unfair.  Extremely challenging, but not unfair.  I'm probably having the best time playing this scenario since my first game.

"Unfair" to me implies that you're almost certainly going to die, regardless of what you do.  I don't feel that's the case with NB, at all.

ReZpawner

I mean... you've already warned that it's extremely difficult. Do you really need to blatantly point it out further?

Tynan

Quote from: ReZpawner on June 26, 2018, 02:32:15 AM
I mean... you've already warned that it's extremely difficult. Do you really need to blatantly point it out further?

People keep bringing up cases where they died because of some random event that seemed near-unavoidable.

I think this is fine, given what the scenario is. However, some players may perceive this as illegitimate all the same and this will generate player anger.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Teleblaster18

You could always change the description to "I created this scenario for a certain type of person. To hurt them."

Once people get comfortable with a more or less finalized version of 1.0, I think the player anger would dissipate, and playing NB becomes a similar proposition as playing on an Ice Sheet. It becomes a badge of honor/bragging rights to have done it.