Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robno

I've been playing 1.0 and I really like most of the changes so far. I haven't seen many bugs in the more recent releases. I've been enjoying the NB scenario; I prefer starting with one person and building up from there. From a very small sample size, the meteorite strike seems a bit frequent.

However, I did prefer the old names for difficulty, and the name of Glitterworld Medicine. I understand this is to bring things in line with the tech levels, but I think it was more flavourful the old way. Even if it didn't necessarily come from a glitterworld, I can imagine this being a colloquial description.

Scavenger

I am not fond of the higher raider death rate either haha.
One, you already rarely get the one you want at the end of a fight, and even if ya do, he/she often has a complicated injury or 2 to deal with, on account of the hail of lead.

Two, It means even less usable gear after a fight from the D modifier! Also, my panthers and cougars greatly prefer live prey to scavenging, unlike me.

And Three, less surgical guinea pigs! My colonists would greatly appreciate if their new surgeon cut their teeth on a pesky raider than their loved ones!

I am also concerned about wild animals mauling pawns without shooting in melee.. I'm not sure how you could balance that, but a punch fight with a cougar doesn't often go my way without good armor haha. I have to be quite careful now, which is both fun, but also a little tiresome sometimes over time. I'm already on watch 24/7 because damn cobras keep trying to eat all my crap and baby animals haha. And they still succeed sometimes! The little ninjas.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Crow_T

question about testing: how critical is it to start a new colony after an update if one wants to bug-test effectively? I've had some messages pop up when loading a colony after an update and was wondering about the stability/usefulness in testing of those saves.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Razzoriel

Tynan, I'm not sure if you read this. But if you do, can you rein in your tendencies to appeal a specific crowd that is tough, i'd say, impossible to appease? Remove this transhumanist/body purist nonsense, Prostophile/prostophobe was perfect as it was. Please hire someone to name everything in your game, you're awful at it.

PleaseBro

I agree with all the people that say the name changes from 18B to 1.0 are not good for older players.

What was wrong with the old names for things? We all liked those. I don't think there is anyone who was upset with the old names for things.

Nightinggale

Quote from: PleaseBro on June 29, 2018, 05:35:46 PM
I agree with all the people that say the name changes from 18B to 1.0 are not good for older players.

What was wrong with the old names for things? We all liked those. I don't think there is anyone who was upset with the old names for things.
The name goes from 0.18 to 1.0. Looks ok to me. The problem you refer to is more like people write 18B when it's actually named 0.18. Declaring a version to be version 1.0 is a common approach to declare something final, as in end of early release or pre-release state. I don't really see a problem with the version naming.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

ChJees

I am pretty sure this should not happen :P . Overhead mountain over a river.

Also i feel like the steel availability is a lot of hit and miss even with mods in 1.0. At times i will have 4-5 deposits visible on the map meanwhile other times i struggle to find more than 2 deposits. Steel starvation is quite the fun killer ;).

And with the restrictions on watermills maybe their power output could go back to their initial 1400 W? Feels fair now.

Greep

Update on turret testing (randy extreme):

I'm actually finding a "non-killbox" turret strategy to actually be working once you get the components for it.  Aside from that one (bugged?) never retreat sapper raid, things are working great.

Here's a pack of 24 wargs slamming into my base that would have normally overrun even a killbox, but the lessened power is allowing me to place turrets all around the base, and the wargs just could not withstand running the gauntlet.

[attachment deleted due to age]
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

RemingtonRyder

Body purists feel that artificial replacements are impure or unethical, but if they have to have one of their organs replaced, they're totally fine with that. No negative thought for 'ugh, I'm only alive because someone was organ-harvested.'

Perhaps, rather than having a constant mood buff or debuff based on which parts have been added, they could have random thoughts about a particular part that they're happy or unhappy with? Body purists be like 'okay, I admit, it works better than my old leg, but I miss my good old flesh and blood.' Transhumanists be like 'It's strange to think that I used to be so limited, this bionic arm might not be as aesthetically pleasing but it works much better.'

Awe

Also, please, make hives visible over corpses.  ;D

[attachment deleted due to age]

Madman666

Well, lost my latest run, so here s several problems still present in the current build based on both my experience and other people comments.

Balance things:
- Raider death rate was already 66%. Increasing it was harmful for the game. Not everyone of us enjoys rescuing random pyromaniac refugees with go-juice addictions.
- Aforementioned refugee quests and also chased refugee events should honestly give the info about who we're saving and what we'll be dealing with. Otherwise no way in hell i am going out to save someone, only to get another crippled burden i'll have to banish. Pawn generation could also use a look, to stop generating mentally challenged grannies with couple scars thrown in for fun.
- Pawn traits - pyromaniac, chemical fascinated and gourmands trait based mental breaks should still depend on their mood, maybe to a less extent but still. Them breaking all the time with happy mood makes them useless and even worse - potentially harmful. Wimp trait is downright awful - you get two scars - he's a downed vegetable for life. This is crazy.
- Night owl trait should also remove the debuff from being in darkness. If you re used to sleeping the day in, you shouldn't complain about darkness.
- Unyielding sapper raids from tribes. Too much, too much. Especially if most are melee with latests melee restriction to shots. The concept of a suicidal raid in itself feels rather broken. At least in most cases you can count on raiders fleeing if they vastly outnumber you, so their numerical advantage isn't quite as severe. I hope its a bug.
- Frequency of raids dropping on top of you is alarmingly high. Could use a tweak.
- Diseases during caravaneering seem to be number one problem making their worth questionable. You got the plague out of your cozy bed? You dead.
- Faction relations decay is kind of high and could use a tone down.
- Reward in relations for all faction tasks like delivering certain amount of items should be higher +5 is kinda crap. You get more by gifting them some t-shirts when they visit.
- Steel shortage, man... Earlier you could scavenge for some steel, components and other stuff on temporary maps like those from long range mineral scanner. Now you can't. I really don't like that change. Opportunistic mining should be a thing.
- I'll say it again mineral scanner should pop a huge steel deposit from time to time instead of everything else. Steel is the lifeblood of this game. There should be more ways of getting it. Smelting weapons and slag chunks could use a significant boost, so that raids can be a half-decent source of steel, while you could also recover more easily when things get rekt.
- Wolves and wild boars should get their brains back. Well at least wolves. Those are very smart animals. I don't understand why the nerf to them hauling.
- Moodlets in the rain... Either you should add a counter to them, like wearing any hat removes it, or this shouldn't be a thing at all. Its small on its own. But when stacks with some other crap it often is the last straw.
- Moodlets for rivers. I guess i see why that would be a thing, but, man, not with RW's poor pathfinding system, that doesn't really take rivers into account when you hunt or haul something. You really shouldn't have to cover whole river with bridges. Solved by not playing with a river or installing a Path Avoid mod in combination with bridges, so its tolerable.
- Transhumanist\purists thingy. Ugh, i probably won't ever get tired of rambling about whole colony suddenly turning into whiny Jensens, but oh well. This one also can be cured by mods.

Couple flavor things - slow assault rifles and charge rifles firing 2 shot bursts... After whole generation of alphas where they shot in 3-bullet quick bursts it feels awful... I wish it 'd be brought back to 3 fast shots. While I don't mind changes to difficulty naming quite like some people, I still preferred old names.

Overall despite problems i mentioned (i might have forgotten to mention a few more), i had a ton of fun playing RW as always. Most of those issues are purely subjective, that annoy me personally, so if you think its how it should be - i am fine with it. Large part of those if not all of them (like the Jensen problem) can be most easily solved by mods, so for now I'll be waiting for them to update. Might start another run if I see some more interesting stuff and fixes in the next build though. Big thanks for your hard work on this game, Tynan. Its one of the most amazing games in my life and that is not an exaggeration.

Tynan

FYI there's a ton of todo I've got stacked up so if something isn't getting addressed it doesn't necessarily mean we're not intending to address it.

New build. This was all ison this time:

----

Fix 3302: Pawns cannot path through colonists engaged in combat
Fix 3481: 'Work to uninstall' displays on info cards of structures that can't be uninstalled
Fix 3473: Exception filling window for Verse.Dialog_InfoCard (artificial body parts)
Fix 3477: Plate Armour lacks an unfinished ThingDef
Outpost site part now mentions how many enemies there are in letters.
GenSteps can now have runtime data. Site cores and parts can now have runtime data. The long-range mineral scanner now says in the letter what kind of mineable resource was found.
PreciousLump sites now expire after 30 days.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Jibbles

Quote from: Tynan on June 29, 2018, 10:06:28 PM
Fix 3302: Pawns cannot path through colonists engaged in combat

<3 Thank You!!

Madman666

Quote from: Tynan on June 29, 2018, 10:06:28 PM
Outpost site part now mentions how many enemies there are in letters.

So outpost sites generate garrison upon quest generation, not visiting the map then? Interesting. And how about things like refugee and mine sites? Do those generate guards when the temp map is generated? Do they scale with wealth of your caravan, your colony, or just with the amount of people you sent there?

Also, of course i didn't imply that you won't be fixing those problems, I just implied, that some of those were problems to me, not to others :D

dearmad

Simple simple Quality of Life addition, PLEASE:
When I right click to initiate a task, please have that simply automatically OVERRIDE the job set/permissions I have established so that I don't have to go into Jobs/Work and click on OK to do HAUL, and then re click the pawn to simply haul some $h(#! Just make it a one time override and get to work, little pawn.