Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IGN_Whyt

First time posting. And I've gotta say i love how proactive you are Tynan, its refreshing to see a game developer put so much time and effort (transparently).

I have a few bugs, a suggestion given 1.0, and a meta 'issue'

Hilarious bug #1
I was building a mountain base and decided to try out the 'smooth wall' feature.  Love it, its great and looks good.  However I found that I mistakenly made a room too small so i decided to mine away a wall section.  My slowest miner says "i got this" and would start mining it.  He wouldn't get all the way through and would stop for lunch.  During his lunch break my most industrious of constructors would come in and see the wall and go "hey that should be repaired" and would repair it back to full before my minor got back from eating.  I didn't realize they kept doing this for TWO DAYS, when i wondered why the wall wasn't gone yet.  Maybe set a flag so a mined wall cant be repaired.

Hilarious bug #2 (might not be 1.0 related).
I had two stacks of food that were both 5.  At the exact same time two of my haulers decided "hey those should be stacked" and each went to the other stack, picked it up, moved it to where the other stack was, put it down. (Queue Benny Hill)  Then, realizing there was a stack of 5 and 5 again said "hey these should be stacked"...and they repeated this until i stopped one of them.  Was quite entertaining

Suggestion (probably been suggested before)
Since the change for dirty to tainted clothing, and that you cant sell them to traders, the only thing you can do with them is burn them.  On the one hand i get the point about modifying the economy.  On the immersion point i think it would make more sense to at least make the clothing break-down-able into their base components (with adjustments for synth/hyper/devil so it doesnt get OP) so they could be re-crafted.  Alternatively you could make the Tainted flag be a temporary thing depending on material. Alternatively Alternatively make it a chance for something to be tainted on death.

Meta
I noticed with relationships that its possible for a 35 year old man to have two sons that are 45 and 47 (none had a number in parenthesis, so it was their actual ages).
I also noticed a 15 year old boy could be married to a 75 year old woman (who crash landed as a relationship escape pod).

Syrchalis

I captured an enemy raider with the "sickly" trait.

It was a very close fight so my doctors were badly injured and I had to bring many colonists back from the brink of death (going so far as to just tending a few wounds then going to the next colonist so neither would bleed out).

Well that raider had just burns, nothing bleeding so he could wait.

While tending that guy... despite my non-doctor keeping his room clean (remember, he wasn't bleeding) that guy got 8 infections. Literally half my medicine was swallowed by the infections AS HE WAS TENDED. How it works is that if someone is getting tended and he gets an infection that infection will get the "bandage" instead of the wound. I barely made progress on the guy because literally every toe got an infection of it's own.

Hilarious.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Madman666

A small suggestion about apparel quality. I seem to remember at some point in one of Alpha builds clothing had comfort stats depending on its quality. I think it would be really nice to add some comfort for excellent-masterwork-legendary clothing.

Mainly because other kinds of legendary items offer really distinct and useful advantages (more blocking for armor, more rest effectiveness for beds, more beauty for art, more accuracy wor weapons), while clothing does not. I mean it does offer a slightly increased comfortable temperature offsets and also gets a bonus to armor rating, but both of those are of questionable use. It won't ever be a proper armor to count on it blocking shots and regular quality temperature offsets are enough to not bother with better quality apparel.

It should really be advantageous to try and outfit your guys in comfy clothing. So that if you outfit your people in a excellent set of clothing they should get "comfortable" moodlet, masterwork - "very comfortable", legendary - "extremely comfortable". It will definitely help keeping some whiners a bit more happy, while not disturbing balance too much, since its not easy to get those levels of quality consistently. Some of colonists are already getting those moodlets anyway by spending their days behind a crafting bench on a good chair.

Also one more thing to fix would be that crazy move pawns now often use in melee - "kick some dirt in someone's eye". It adds a debuff to sight -50%, but it makes them cooldown ridiculous amount of time, like good 10-15 seconds. Someone did already mention that, but i shall remind about it again. It leaves a pawn completely stuck in place, vulnerable to being just clobbered or shot to death without any possible way to survive. Please disable this fatality, mortal combat cries silently in the corner.

IGN_Whyt

Quote from: Syrchalis on June 30, 2018, 05:45:18 PM
I captured an enemy raider with the "sickly" trait.

It was a very close fight so my doctors were badly injured and I had to bring many colonists back from the brink of death (going so far as to just tending a few wounds then going to the next colonist so neither would bleed out).

Well that raider had just burns, nothing bleeding so he could wait.

While tending that guy... despite my non-doctor keeping his room clean (remember, he wasn't bleeding) that guy got 8 infections. Literally half my medicine was swallowed by the infections AS HE WAS TENDED. How it works is that if someone is getting tended and he gets an infection that infection will get the "bandage" instead of the wound. I barely made progress on the guy because literally every toe got an infection of it's own.

Hilarious.

Believe it or not, infections is the number one or two concern of burn victims because the burned tissue is extremely ineffective at killing microbes.

Zombull

Hay deteriorates way too quickly outdoors. I should be able to keep animals outdoors and feed them without the entire hay bale deteriorating before they can eat it. It should deteriorate very slowly anyway unless it's raining and having a roof over it should greatly reduce its deterioration rate.

robno

I think a serious bug happened to me twice on the latest version. Pawn is melee attacking someone, and sometimes gets locked into cooldown for too long (not stunned) for no reason. The transparent white circle indicating cooldown fills the selection square for the pawn, and this takes a long time until it shrinks to a circle.

Pawn was attacking with a club, and its usual attacks had much faster cooldown.

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: robno on June 30, 2018, 06:24:02 PM
Pawn is melee attacking someone, and sometimes gets locked into cooldown for too long (not stunned) for no reason.

That's the 'kick dirt into eyes' maneuver, which has a very long cooldown. I dislike the dirt kicking exactly because it locks your colonist into one place for a very long time, which basically dooms them to an ugly fate - not so much the case in my run since I'm well into the late-game, but certainly could be in the earlier game.

Azrael_Itaru

Is that really a thing? Because I had a pawn do this to a centipede...

MikeLemmer

Romancing in the early days of the colony seems stuck in a cycle ATM.

My colony started out with an elderly male and an elderly female. It's been 6 days since Crash-Landing and he's been rebuffed by her 5 times. It seems to be tied to Deep Talk somehow, as the number of Deep Talks equals the number of Rebuffs. The problem is it also provides my male with a whopping -20 moodlet and I don't see any way of preventing that without completely separating them.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Yoshida Keiji

I just got my first trade ship, and noticed an inconsistency between trade window and caravan formation. In Unstable version 1.0, when we form a caravan, the new update allows the player to see bonded animals with a heart and pregnant females with a baby. But the trade window didn't show me the same "heart". I think it should.

Mehni

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on June 30, 2018, 07:16:46 PM
I just got my first trade ship, and noticed an inconsistency between trade window and caravan formation. In Unstable version 1.0, when we form a caravan, the new update allows the player to see bonded animals with a heart and pregnant females with a baby. But the trade window didn't show me the same "heart". I think it should.

After gifting a bonded pet to a trader and getting -10 mood for 60 days, I agree with this suggestion ;) If not a heart, a similar message to the one you get after designating a bonded animal for butchering?

erdrik

Quote from: Madman666 on June 30, 2018, 04:57:28 PM
... Tree greenhouses are also totally a thing, so I don't really think that no-roof restriction should be there.
Unless Tree greenhouses can produce trees large and numerous enough to be viable as Timber rather than fruit farms then I kinda disagree.

Syrchalis

Trees not growable inside is fine.

What bothers me more is the incredibly long sow-time for wood-yielding trees. I think for cocoa it's perfectly reasonable, because it's a luxury item, but for poplar/oak trees it's a bit too long. Don't get me wrong, it was too short before 1.0, but now it's too much work. Maybe something around 20-30% faster would make it a lot more bearable.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

MerlinEngine

Hello, I have decided to go for the 1.0 unstable, and thus far I am thoroughly enjoying it. The game is much more seamless, and the characters seem to have individual quarks that are much more pronounced. The addition of the watermill is very welcome, though it is a somewhat overpowered device that effectively cancels's out alternative energy sources on river-based maps. The collection of furs into broader archetypes makes the use of furs much more efficient, my colony is practically living off trade in furs and fur clothing at the moment in a way that reminds of the historical trappers in Quebec. I am thinking of building an entire room for electric clothing machines since I have quite a lot of characters with a high craft score (but no art) and others that are particularly good at hunting.

1) I have noticed a tendency of my characters to stop activities, such as mining a square, before those actions were complete to go and do secondary tasks such as hulling or cleaning. Directly controlling work priorities solves this problem in terms of competing for work requirements, but in general, I have noticed that characters seem to be more independent and less inclined to complete their assignments. Entertainment, in particular, seems to be required quite often, though less so in earlier builds of 1.0.

2) Fights break out between my characters somewhat annoyingly often... practically every day, even though the characters aren't volatile. As far as I can tell, one character is typically the cause of these fights because he is ugly, and the other characters openly object to his ugliness, and he takes affront to this slander. He has been insulted so much that I have had to deal with periodical character breaks, as the insults along with consistent injuries and his pessimism trait create a vicious cycle.

3) I have noticed a few instances in which traders arrived, but the individual responsible for the actual transactions was injured and arrived much later then the rest of his caravan. I could still trade with him, but it was rather odd, and I wondered if traders face attacks or something that might actually kill the main trader.

4) I have mentioned this elsewhere. In my current colony, I built a fortification system around a tunneled out hill using a double layer of sandbags. I wanted my characters to use the tunnels through the hill to quickly move between different sections of the defensive works, or take cover inside the tunnels if an enemy uses bombs, but the characters prefer to jump over the sandbags, exposing them to potentially lethal firepower.

5) I am not sure if it was an intended event or actually a bug, but in my current game, I opened up an ancient danger building straight away but found no hostiles. The three humans were friendly (until I shot them) and the bugs likewise didn't attack me. I actually started a habit of bringing in the bodies of raiders into the sealed sleeper pod chamber to feed my bug "friends", until I decided I needed the room as a barracks and a temporary food supply while most of my characters were indisposed.

Those are the things I can think about for the moment. I will be sure to post further anomalies on this thread should I encounter them.

rowlurorowf

Quote from: IGN_Whyt on June 30, 2018, 05:29:04 PM
Suggestion (probably been suggested before)
Since the change for dirty to tainted clothing, and that you cant sell them to traders, the only thing you can do with them is burn them.  On the one hand i get the point about modifying the economy.  On the immersion point i think it would make more sense to at least make the clothing break-down-able into their base components (with adjustments for synth/hyper/devil so it doesnt get OP) so they could be re-crafted.  Alternatively you could make the Tainted flag be a temporary thing depending on material. Alternatively Alternatively make it a chance for something to be tainted on death.
The Mending Mod was very effective for this.  It was a work sink, not economic, but removed the taint and repaired the item.  Should have more requirements for using materials and whatnot, but at minimum removing the taint should be possible.  Even recycling or breaking down like said above. 

Or hell, how about a washboard and basin do clean away the taint?