Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow_T

Had a bit of an unexpected incident, a prisoner with the kind trait who had a +100 friend relationship with a warden got in a social fight with said warden within a day of being recruited. They did talk about vomit and needles however, they must have ran out of things to discuss already...  It was more funny than anything else, but given their relationship it was really random.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

tyriaelsoban

ive played a few colonies that didnt get far; patch to rev 1050 broke the cannibal trait, so everyone was getting mad about eating human meat.
umm, and now this happened - one of my guys now has two cannibal traits ... i got a wall of text about the tunneler trait and checked the cache in the save file, it says shes supposed to be 'gay' now.
I also noticed i have three colonists with the misandrist trait, that didnt have them before i went to bed last night.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Daimon16

I haven't played that much 1.0 yet.
I like the new blueprints and sprites.
But I already don't like the new grave system, because I usually haul the enemy corpses to one of my stockpiles and strip them there and then bury them. (So the apparel isn't that far away from my base and is indoors.)
Now i have to switch the priority of my stockpile back and forth instead of "just" clicking bury.

Namsan

I don't like raider death chance change.
I know Tynan wants to make recruiting raiders hard, but I feel this change is very arbitrary.
How about reducing recruit change recruit chance instead?
Like, If player had enough colonists, recruiting becomes more harder.
Hello

xion1088

Can we also get the option to allow sowing on Hydroponics? That would be nice

Oblitus

> sent a caravan to filfull trade order
> they got malaria
> RIP
> trade order was for resurrector serums
> used traded serums to revive died pawns
> net weight: wasted a season and half of time

Currently most diseases are lethal unless you can let pawns rest in beds. So unless you can send a level 20 doctor with your caravan, or have drop pods to evacuate them immediately, or can settle and build a hospital in one day - any disease that pawns in caravan get will invariantly kill them. Add ambushes that caravan can get into (so you have to heavily guard them) and your own base that is left without part of your crew... Unless you really, really, REALLY need something - caravans are not worth it.

Also:
Foraging is based on plant work skill, but traveling with caravan does not gice said skill.
You can't milk or shear caravan animals.
You can't have any good events in travel.
Your animals are losing skills during travel and you can't sustain them.

Trallhatt

Quote from: Namsan on July 01, 2018, 11:36:38 AM
Like, If player had enough colonists, recruiting becomes more harder.

Imo it takes away the organic feel when games "cheats" like that. Not sure how much of that stuff is going on in this game, hopefully as little as possible..

Madman666

Yeah its kind of hard to enjoy the caravaneering part of the game with it being capable of just wiping your run on a storyteller's whim. :P

Ser Kitteh

While diseases are a pain during caravan, they are not impossible. A level 9 doctor with good Medicine (Medicine, not Herbal Medicine) is usually good enough to stave off disease and infections.

Part of this is players invest in medicine and penoxydiline way too late. Now a good hospital and drug labs are a priority. Players complaining about how caravans aren't worth it, i feel, are inexperienced and there's no clear line WHEN caravans are worth it. This is why I don't caravan unless my base is secure, has proper medicine, and have enough hands on deck.

It would be nice if you can rest a friendly settlement and heal for payment. Idk how hard it is to program this but even a flat increase of tending would be very nice to have.

Greep

One tip I read about was putting colonists that are about to caravan on penoxycline.  This is a really good idea.  Unfortunately, due to the way penox works, you would have to get them on penoxcycline a few days before caravanning.  Or just keep colonists you want to trade with always on it.

I recently just lost a suicide trader to plague with 300 flake.  It does hurt.  It's not quite so bad on randy, since if you recruit everyone you have plenty of jerks with chemical fascination and cataracts that are expendable.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Oblitus

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on July 01, 2018, 12:25:09 PM
While diseases are a pain during caravan, they are not impossible. A level 9 doctor with good Medicine (Medicine, not Herbal Medicine) is usually good enough to stave off disease and infections.

Part of this is players invest in medicine and penoxydiline way too late. Now a good hospital and drug labs are a priority. Players complaining about how caravans aren't worth it, i feel, are inexperienced and there's no clear line WHEN caravans are worth it. This is why I don't caravan unless my base is secure, has proper medicine, and have enough hands on deck.

It would be nice if you can rest a friendly settlement and heal for payment. Idk how hard it is to program this but even a flat increase of tending would be very nice to have.
Sure, good hospital will help you a lot when pawns in a caravan is sick, and you always have a level 9 doctor to send with a caravan while having another to stay on your base, and sure nothing bad can happen with either of them.

lanturn171

Quote from: Tynan on July 01, 2018, 05:52:37 AM
Rename ultratech medicine -> glitterworld medicine

:) Glitterworld is such a good word. It feels like a word that tribals, outlanders, and tribals alike share around the camp fire in hopeful greed or fearful wonder of their own visions of a rampant technological wealth, if you only have a ship to reach it.

Also I'm enjoying the stretched research progression for ranged weapons. Now I'm much more likely to build bolt action rifles early, or sell everything for that excellent charge lance. I haven't really figured out the ups and downs of new charge rifles.

I'm enjoying the combat AI changes like aggressive flanking.

Auto cannon is fun. I'm very attracted to building one at the main entrance and supporting with a couple snipers and a lot of automatic fire to cover the cannons minimum range.

Inspirations are also a very fun buff for colony mood. Nutrient paste is very strong in its own ways, but will that -4 be holding someone back from legendary craftwork or significantly buffed trade?

Maybe because of that or other things, I've been paying more attention to keeping the Bloodlust/Misogynist/Misandrist type people away from colonists that the might affect through zones or production locations.

Mortars are much harder to reach now, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing with the increase risk of direct combat.

I'm enjoying the earlier armor choices now between Flak Vest+ and plate armor. I think there may be something to reconsider about plate armor and dusters/jackets/parkas. Flak Jacket on plate might be a problem then, but I don't know. I'm spending 30 minutes just thinking about clothing layers before actually giving up lol.

Thanks for all the hard work. So many aspects allowed to play style and experimentation :)

Ser Kitteh

That was needlessly hostile, Oblitus. Calm yourself.

When I say hospital I meant "functioning medicine factory". This is why one should have a handful of doctors, medicine, antibiotics, before caravaning. I keep a handful of glittermeds on hand if it gets real bad.

Caravaning is very much worth it. The problem is that players really have no idea what to expect. I know many of my earliest caravans ended in failure, but hey, learned from my mistakes and prepared better. I've caravaned more in 1.0 more than I have in previous alphas I feel. As for caravans preparations, you need:

1. Capable doctors.
2. Medicine, the good kind. Glittermeds if you're properly paranoid.
3. Penocidiline.
4. Drop pods for emergency doctors, medicine, and food.
5. A well defended base.

I don't caravan until I have all of these elements covered. The rewards are very enticing in 1.0, and my want for rewards makes me risk more and that's a good thing IMO.

Greep

@lanturn

Just a bit of advise on cannons before you get too comfortale around them:  Stay behind them xD

Colony deaths so far:
2- torn to death by wild animals
2- one shot by autocannons.  They hit harder than sniper rifles.
2- sapper raid from hell
1- shot by sniper
1- plague on caravan
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Oblitus

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on July 01, 2018, 12:46:36 PM
1. Capable doctors.
2. Medicine, the good kind. Glittermeds if you're properly paranoid.
3. Penocidiline.
4. Drop pods for emergency doctors, medicine, and food.
5. A well defended base.
From my experience it works much better this way:
1. Drop pods to evacuate pawns to hospital with capable doctors
2. Drop pods to evacuate pawn to hospital with good meds
3. Drop pods to go there and back before penoxycyline expires
4. Drop pods for everything
5. Drop pods for... Why do we need caravans again? We can build drop pods to send things, other factions have them to send rewards, why we can't just send what they need by drop pods and get reward in same way?