Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadjung

- infestation is behaving strange : i got one, letter pointed me to one part of base (1), i happily destroyed single (surprise) nest and went happily further. turns out on other part of my base (2) i got 3 other nests. Should they have been so spread ? As far as i remember (and happened to have earlier) they were more concentrated around single area...

[attachment deleted due to age]

Azrael_Itaru

Not sure if it's a bug or not, I've never had this happen before but one of my melee fighters got their waist cut off, they can walk around fine but can't wear their belt anymore and there's apparently no way to fix it with prosthetics, not even with a mod that expands them

x7GoSu

So I have started this game and have gone through many of the builds now. I started out on CL with C/R then switched to RR/R later in into the game. Cass doesn't really allow population growth it feels like and I was starting to bleed pawns and needed some more. I don't try to play perfect having the best pawns most efficient set possible, its not victory at all costs for me it's playing the game. I'll take that old lady w/ bad back and give her a job sweeping just to watch her die of a heart attack later as my doctor tries valiantly to save her! That is just the kind of player I am, but on to other things.

The overall experience of the 1.0 build has been very enjoyable. I'm pretty close to finishing it just have to build a casket for my ship and my hero is leaving his rock. The game feels really good now, I appreciate all the QOL of life stuff that was implemented especially on the work benches. Though I still feel there is room for improvement. I liked most the the graphics that were put in place, the vital monitors and human/bionic/archo tech parts are a little dull/bland for my asthetic appeal though.

The map I was playing on was the largest map on a small hill temperate forest. The map had insane amounts of steel imbedded in the rocks. There wasn't a hill that didn't have exposed steel sticking out of it. My only trouble was the lack of a miner at the start, but once I got one I never ran out of steel. I made only a few purchases of steel and only because i was being lazy and didn't want to haul the steel out side of the base back.

I did start using the Deep drill later just so i can see the infestation event from it. I didn't check the time between the event to fire but it did seem to take a year for it to fire, and then I got 3 back to back with in two seasons maybe one. I had 3 drills up and two of them were close together and one was on the other side of my base. I had two events trigger by the pair close together and one by the farther away drill. So Im assuming each one has its own chance for the event to fire. Though I never lost a drill and the time it took for the bugs to spawn gave me ample amount of time to set up for the attack I felt.

During the middle of the game I had set up a rather large killbox that for a large part of the game I felt was useless and a waste of resources. Most the raids were sappers, I'm okay with that but omg tribal sappers are terrifying. They spawned in pretty close to my base since I wasn't centrally located and they busted through my walls scary quick, only 1 layer thick and was of slate.

I was completely unprepared for this. I want to say i had 10 colonist at the time and close to 20 tribals spawned in. I had made a pretty crucial mistake in dumping too much of the resouces i had into the killbox so I didn't really have any weapon production and the last raid I had was a year ago.

So most my weapons were bows and short bows at that. It was brutal I lost two people in the fighting itself and another one in the aftermath of trying to recover. This was the lowest point in my game, everyone was wounded bad. I had to kill every single tribesman which I haven't seen before. None broke and fled which I felt was odd. After the battle I was plagued w/ mental breaks,infections, and severe pain on almost every one.

Another huge problem were the walls all over my base were cracked open including my freezer. This wasn't a huge deal since this happened in decemberary and the temp was negative but my freezer had the only food source on the map. So every wild and domesticated animal was filling up on my food stock. It reminded me of a scence in Evan Almighty lol.

It was at this point i decided to switch to Randy Rough for more pawns. But after the  fighting had stopped and the dust had settled we rebuilt not just the walls and buildings but the mood and thoughts and ultimately the colonly its self.=P After that point I made weapon and armor production a priority and placed auto cannons surrounding my base in a fashion they can reach each other. Some melee traps around them with a turret or two close by.
Didn't really have too much trouble any more with sappers.

Had a couple of drop pods crash through and few psychic ships. One psychic ship landed right in my kill box and I laughed with joy over this. So the kill box did prove its worth later in the game when i was getting larger mech raids. The buff to hydroponics I feel might be to strong I was able to sustain a 24 man colony off two green houses of Hydroponics and 1 with rich soil and never struggled with food again after that. Overall felt the experience was rather enjoyable and a load of fun. Thanks for making a great game!
https://imgur.com/a/JyJnvak

Awe

A little story about how to properly deal with alien invaders. Just laughed about this punch in the face.  ;D

Also first time see such nice drop right at bedrooms in the middle of the night. Cassy, Hard, 450k, autumn 5504.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: gadjung on July 03, 2018, 05:02:46 PM
- infestation is behaving strange : i got one, letter pointed me to one part of base (1), i happily destroyed single (surprise) nest and went happily further. turns out on other part of my base (2) i got 3 other nests. Should they have been so spread ? As far as i remember (and happened to have earlier) they were more concentrated around single area...

This isn't new.

See here an old thread: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40793.msg409404#msg409404

NiftyAxolotl

Quote from: Awe on July 03, 2018, 05:30:27 PM
Cassy, Hard, 450k, autumn 5504.
Oh wow. Maybe that's why my raids feel so weak. I have 150k wealth in winter '03, mostly a straight-line increase from the start of the game.

By the way, a raid with a doomsday rocket launcher came. I tried to send a sacrificial muffalo, but it didn't run to the new zone. Instead, I had to use a recently purchased insanity lance.

Greep

Of course, blue vs red decide to go at it inside my base -____-, can't even sneak into to firefoam the place with all the grenades flying lol.

Funny, but if they destroy my advanced components I swear I'm killing them all.

Edit: OH AND OF COURSE, I lose relation faction when the jerks kill each other.  AAAAAAARG

1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

MerlinEngine

Hi, I found a somewhat slight problem; colonists have an annoying habit of repairing smoothed cave walls, after designating these for mining. In my current game, one colonist could be trying to mine the wall, while another would be trying to repair it. I can solve the problem simply by drafting the repairing colonist, but sometimes the miner can start repairing the wall before he finishes mining it.

Another thing that I am not sure it is indeed a problem or just my lack of familiarity with that aspect of the game is that I keep losing bonded animals to suicidal charges against enemies. I don't think any of these animals were actually defined as aggressive, and some of them should not be so, to begin with (like a pet rabbit). Is it really a game problem, or did I miss something in animal settings?

Bones

Quote from: MerlinEngine on July 03, 2018, 06:30:02 PM
Another thing that I am not sure it is indeed a problem or just my lack of familiarity with that aspect of the game is that I keep losing bonded animals to suicidal charges against enemies. I don't think any of these animals were actually defined as aggressive, and some of them should not be so, to begin with (like a pet rabbit). Is it really a game problem, or did I miss something in animal settings?

In the animal tab you can set the animal to follow a person and right beside there are two options, one to follow when they exit the base while not drafted and another while drafted. Just uncheck both and they will stay in the area you predetermined for them.

Oblitus

Saw a pawn throwing horseshoes right through closed doors. This is everything you need to know about doors now.

Sig

I just built an awful wooden dresser, I thought the "awful" quality was removed. Screenshot in the attachment.

Admiral Obvious

I've always been wondering about weapons like the Pila. Should it's damage be toned down a little, and it's ranged buffed a bit?

Mostly asking because the Pila basically split everything in half, assuming it doesn't hit the torso of the target. It it supposed to be that powerful?

Basically every time you hit something it loses a limb unless said limb is armored (which rarely exists outside of mods).

Maybe an added weaker throwing spear variant? I don't know, I'm just spiralling ideas.

Sirsir

Quote from: Tynan on July 03, 2018, 09:57:54 AM
Debuff greatbow a bit.

uh, does that mean nerf?

I'd like the new berries to be brighter. They are hard to see against the green now...

NiftyAxolotl

Quote from: Admiral Obvious on July 03, 2018, 08:04:51 PM
Pila basically split everything in half, assuming it doesn't hit the torso of the target. It it supposed to be that powerful?
A pilum will absolutely ruin any limb it strikes directly. It doesn't go as fast as a bullet, but it is much, much bigger:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilum#/media/File:Pilum_light_-_cropped.jpg

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: NiftyAxolotl on July 03, 2018, 09:08:48 PM
Quote from: Admiral Obvious on July 03, 2018, 08:04:51 PM
Pila basically split everything in half, assuming it doesn't hit the torso of the target. It it supposed to be that powerful?
A pilum will absolutely ruin any limb it strikes directly. It doesn't go as fast as a bullet, but it is much, much bigger:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilum#/media/File:Pilum_light_-_cropped.jpg

If we're talking IRL terms, it's not the realm of theorycraft.  Pila are a joke compared to bullets vs armor, but even w/o armor their speed and momentum would be partially absorbed by the fact that the limb moves in response to the hit and that anything but a super-precise direct hit would gouge --> be redirected by bone (this would not de-limb, but you'd not be using it for much any time soon).  Also pila and bow range in the game are way higher in proportion to guns compared to IRL - shotguns firing slugs can be pretty threatening out to distances the game represents as sniper range and beyond :p.

The game doesn't and shouldn't represent these weapons realistically - proportionate range, accuracy, etc to real life would require a ground-up rework of the entire thing and subpar though melee is in Rimworld now outside of controlled engages, it would be nigh useless in such a scenario.  Construction and healing rate etc are all obvious deviations from reality too...reality isn't a workable metric here except a a guideline for representation.

Pila kind of need the damage in the game to justify the long windup...they're one of those weapons you can freely shot and avoid return fire with basic micro if you have a fast gun.  They're like a weak sniper with ~half the range and an awful weapon.  Getting hit by one suggests you screwed up somehow :D.