Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Tynan on July 04, 2018, 09:09:35 AM
Sick caravan members now rest in the best available bed when the caravan is not moving. Sick caravan members can now be carried by other pawns.

Does that second part mean that during the "rescue a pawn" world map event your return speed will not be super slow due to the badly injured pawn you rescued, or is this more just in regards to actual sickness? Or is it strictly a pawn can carry another pawn that can not move at all?

Yoshida Keiji

This is a problem that has always existed and it is not specific to v1.0. Through the entire forum, I had many times addressed the lack of AI recognition of the base/rooms.

My base, currently looks like the number 6 on a digital calculator, which is a square with a side sticking higher.

Ayano, Sunao and Paulo are attacking a wall outside my base. Also Pleixoto is attacking a "Firing Wall" I built when I was facing a Crashed Ship Part.

The lack of AI "reading" immensely help the player to perform "Divide & Conquer" by just building random walls throughout the whole map... since the AI cannot distinguish which is a player's REAL base versus random walls.

Players like me who had been playing on 400x400 maps and multiple colonies know that creating "fake" buildings mitigates a raid's threat level.

In many posts, I addressed the AI lack to recognize "Inside" from "Outside", specially when Pathing selection, so pawns in harsh biomes like Ice Sheet, should prioritize pathing within the base rather than short-cutting from the outside, exposing themselves to all sorts of threats...

I would really like to see an AI improvement so this that I am experiencing now stops happening. I don't know how much viable it could be, but my only suggestion as of now would be to create a "Sound recognition" system in which pawns can react to "shots fired" and turn towards the direction from where the sound comes. Pretty much like The Walking Dead.

In this current raid, half the enemies are doing "whatever they want but nothing that helps them". Players in MMORPGs PvP games do this as well by the way. Their force enweakens as they split nonsensically. The benefit for enemy AI would be that "reading" the inside could help them direct their pathing to the player's base too. So it's not just one sided for the player pawns when not raided.

Namsan

Wow, I love new difficulty descriptions!
These texts will teach players about difficulty properly.
Being descriptive is good, because I thought like "Truly skilled Rimworld players can always survive even in the hardest difficulty!" until now. :D
Hello

Sirinox

Sick caravan members now rest in the best available bed when the caravan is not moving.

Regarding using bedrolls in caravans, seems like it does not take into account bedroll comfort buff (along with comfort thoughts) yet, which would be nice.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Zoolder

I see a lot of mention of door cheese and thrumbos, they're easy enough to kite (Last I recall, haven't tried in 1.0). But with door popping, I think it would be reasonable that if an animal was shot and wounded it should tear that door down by any means, as it is the only idea of where the attack came from.

Splitting up attacks between two colonists to cause confusion and "kite" the animal around seems realistic and reasonable to me. Perhaps just make a chance that animals won't switch targets, and instead enter a rage and just want to kill a specific target in a berserk revenge, no matter what anyone else does to intervene. This would include busting a door down if it sees the target pawn go through it. In real life a threatened animal can be unpredictable, and the game should reflect that. This would also make manhunter packs less routine.

Sorry if this is off topic, I just saw the discussion and have always thought animal AI was much too predictable.

Dashthechinchilla

Is it possible for you to reverse, or add a toggle for new construction vs repair. Before the change I would have been for it. In practice though, it means I have to find every thing damaged and the micro my constructor to fix it while they try to wander off and build things. It is a bit like the practice of trying to deconstruct ruin floors.

Up until I hop in the ship, I always have something to construct. My constructor rarely does any other task. Which means that they would never get around to repairing things.

6factorial

I just noticed that a colonist, Vas, tried to romance another colonist, Aimi. I looked into Aimi's Social tab, and noticed this tidbit that made me chuckle:

"Vas tried to attract Vas by complimenting his friends. Aimi gave a minimal response."

However, in Vas' Needs tab, it shows that he was rebuffed by Aimi. This leads me to believe that the first sentence in the quote should have Aimi's name instead of the second Vas.

I will hopefully be able to provide more feedback in the future from my playthrough. Thank you Tynan for all of these patches, and all the care you've put into the game. This is my favorite game to play and watch.  :)

Edit: I checked later and it seemed to fix itself. Whoops.

Syrchalis

Is healroot supposed to be immune to the cold? Currently a coldsnap in my game and all plants died (Boreal Forest) but healroot is unaffected. If it's a bug, good that I caught it. If not... uhm, yay I won't die to infections?
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

gadjung

Refactor FactionTacticalMemory and changed remember chance from 20% to 100%.

Don't know if it's possible, but it would be nice to have it as min 20% with scaling factor of how many enemies survived (fled) raid, with 5-6 giving 100%, that would make it more worth to pursue/kill/capture fleeing raiders (for people that are not running hat and organ factories).
For no i just let them run away since there is no downside of that and i prefer to tend my pawns quick to avoid infections.
Same should be added when releasing prisoners - since it's easy way of farming relations - also without any reprecussions

isRyan

After playing a bit on extreme mode, I have a lighthearted suggestion for the difficulty descriptor of Extreme that pretty accurately reflects how I felt about it.
Here it is:

"You will not survive. Seriously
though, you will die horribly.

This is not a challenge, this is
a warning."

Its nice to know that there will always be a mode that I can truly challenge and humble myself on, you and your team are doing great work Tynan.

MikeLemmer

Tynan, do you want us to start a new colony after each patch? Or continue playing our old colony? I've been starting a new one each patch to avoid carrying over bugs from the previous patch, but with the rate of patching I'm not even getting through a season before starting over.

Ser Kitteh

"Removed bridges research."

Oh hey that would have been useful four hours ago when I spent an inordinate amount of time researching it because I live in a swamp with tribals.

Anyway, no new reports but this is something that I think must be remedied before release: making pekoe and smokeleaf joints.

Making smokeleaf is available at the drugs lab and making pekoe is available at the stove. Both are available at the crafting spot at very slow pacing. The issue with making both is that it takes an inordinate amount of time for basically one joint and one cup. Even if micro it by having a stockpile around the stove/drugslab and two workbenches for the latter, it still takes forever.

Not only that but even crafting them gives no XP whatsoever. Psychoid and smokeleaf are easy to grow in bulk but making them in bulk is a major pain. I can spend a quandrum having four pawns make them and they'll only repeat the process three days later because the crops are ready to be harvest.

I know you're against bulk crafting (for whatever reason) but surely you can give both the stove and the drug labs a craft bulk x 20 in one go? It's no real fun making them but players do it because they sell pretty well. At least making beer takes a lot more effort and there's something rewarding about making your own brewery. You need to make the barrels, make the wort and keep the temperature running. It's layers upon layers of systems working.

Basically, massively reduce the time effort to ROLL a joint and brew tea or just let us make them in bulk.

RemingtonRyder

With regard to making raids less of a focal point, I agree. In 1.0 I had so much more fun going out and rescuing incapacitated refugees from who knows what. :)

Boboid

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on July 04, 2018, 12:08:41 PM
Not only that but even crafting them gives no XP whatsoever. Psychoid and smokeleaf are easy to grow in bulk but making them in bulk is a major pain.

Smokeleaf Joints and Psychite Pekoe both generate cooking experience. And incidentally their crafting speed scales with cooking skill.

Though it is true that both Pekoe and Joints are slower to craft than Flake or Yayo because they require more work and also because of how the high skill scaling works out. Not that crafting Pekoe is particularly efficient in the long term.

The only issue I have with this system is that you can inadvertently burn through a ridiculous amount of Wood if you're making Pekoe on a fueled stove since it requires 1 wood per object cooked. Almost wiped my tribe out in a desert heat wave because we'd burnt all the wood making tea and couldn't make passive coolers :P
My fault of course.

Edit: While I'm here - It's bizarrely hard to hunt Emus because any hunter that engages an Emu triggers revenge which itself triggers the "What should a colonist do when presented with an attacker" reaction which if set to Attack seemingly overwrites the hunting order.

Basically almost every encounter with an emu results in the hunter leaving an incapacitated emu or emu corpse out in a field somewhere and moving on to other targets or jobs. It's super weird :P
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Griggers

I'm not sure whether it is a new feature or a bug but the random death chance that you get (on enemy raiders(and animals)) when your colony becomes larger seems to apply as well on smaller colony's.
I'm currently a 2 strong colony that just passed the 2nd winter and have noticed that at least 6/10 raiders die without losing a vital body part or to low consciousness.
This makes it harder to increase the number of colonists.

I'm playing extreme Randy on a tundra map.