Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamomnivore

Quote from: zizard on July 03, 2018, 11:26:41 PM
Reduction in work cost for many crafted items makes it cost an inordinate amount of materials to train crafting.

I'd go so far as to claim that this encourages repeatedly crafting, canceling, crafting the same recipes to train crafting. Thus, encouraging micromanagement, not fun gameplay, and ruins immersion. I'm not saying the adjustments were bad and probably make sense but, this is a good point by Zizard. Perhaps, some item that has an inordinate work time cost vs. materials usage? I might suggest "Complex Puzzle" as an option. Takes the maker a very long time to craft and get right but, doesn't use many resources. Boom, training and a neat little addition.

Madman666

You can always use unpowered tailoring bench for lower crafting speed, along with combination of bad temperature, darkness and outside penalties to work speed as well. A kind of spartan training - sew a jacket in total darkness to become a master :D

iamomnivore

Quote from: Tynan on July 04, 2018, 09:09:35 AM
Remove the "they learned your trap locations" mechanics since nobody ever noticed them anyway.

I would just like to say that I DID notice this and attempted to negate it by adding roofs (thinking darkness could help minimize this) and mixing up the movement of any kill-tunnels by shifting sandbags around, to promote new pathing XD Not sure if I had the right idea, there. It was all guesses once I realized what was happening. Wish I'd have given props earlier on. Hate to see that it was lost on most of us. :salute:

With that said, would it be possible to tie the chances of "Successfully located a trap" to specific skills, on each pawn? Construction would make the most sense. You know how to make them, you might find them just as well while others are just lucky to find 'em. Allow pawns within a radius of the finder to "gain" this knowledge as well --

"Whoa, buddy. Don't step there. Tell the guys behind you."

5thHorseman

It's not in the changelog but did they intentionally make you have to research to tailor? I don't mind if so but it surprised me.

I know it's recent because I have a tailoring bench in a new save that I started 1 version ago, but can't build another.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

iamomnivore

Quote from: gadjung on July 04, 2018, 11:05:06 AM
Quote from: Tynan on July 04, 2018, 09:09:35 AM

Refactor FactionTacticalMemory and changed remember chance from 20% to 100%.

Don't know if it's possible, but it would be nice to have it as min 20% with scaling factor of how many enemies survived (fled) raid, with 5-6 giving 100%, that would make it more worth to pursue/kill/capture fleeing raiders (for people that are not running hat and organ factories).
For no i just let them run away since there is no downside of that and i prefer to tend my pawns quick to avoid infections.
Same should be added when releasing prisoners - since it's easy way of farming relations - also without any reprecussions

I had the exact same thought, when reading that note. This would feel so much better scaling with survivors (and people have hazy memories when bleeding out and running for their lives ;) ) It'd be an amazing rush to catch every one and know that nobody will gain this knowledge.

With that said, I would love to posit this example:

Enemy raids and maybe only one of the enemy gents / ladies gets away: Scared, friends dead, shot in the back, bleeding out, in massive pain --

Currently, this gent would be able to memorize ALL trap positions and make notes on all of their triggers, to finally make it home in a daze, exsanguinated, and practically on death's door. Then, that gent grabs up his trusty fountain pen and perfectly sketches out this information for the faction. I'm laughing as I write this, btw.

Tynan

Thanks for ongoing feedback.

It would be very helpful if, when telling any story or commenting on difficulty, everyone could post their difficulty level, biome, and hilliness.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Ser Kitteh

Glitch: While hovering over the "need warm clothes" message, it only highlights one colonists and when repeatedly click on those not cycle through them.

Serina

Not sure what's going on in my current save file, but I don't think I've had a "raid" event in the last two years. I've had three manhunter events that consisted of two lynx and a warg pack, each event roughly threw around 13~15 animals at me. Meat and leather at my doorstep is great but just wondering what all the raiders are doing.  :P

Also, I'm up to 98k colony wealth but have only encountered two ancient ship events so far. In the previous versions, I got my first two ancient ships before I even hit 60k colony wealth. I appreciate all the downtime for base upgrades but I'm kind of afraid of what will be thrown at me next because it has been fairly quiet for a while.

My message log as far as it can go back to: https://imgur.com/a/J6aa703
Phoebe - Hard - Tundra - Flat

Edit: I have no mods installed. Started Naked Brutality, but with two pawns.
Wanderer joins event disabled and starting colonists age range between 20~30.

YokoZar

While you're waiting for the meta to shake out a bit and get more feedback, I'd suggest giving some love to the bug reports forum -- there's a few pages of 1.0 bugs there that are good targets for making the game feel polished, many still waiting on a confirmation/acknowledgement.  Some from .18 and earlier ;)

Mjtaylor194

Was playing earlier and when winter temps began, due to a door left open, pretty much every animal on the map rushed into my base. I've never seen that happen on that scale before. Usually they just rush to the edge of the map, in my experience.

(Playing on default size map, Cassandra peaceful, flat temperate forest I believe.)

robno

Quote from: 5thHorseman on July 05, 2018, 12:31:49 AM
It's not in the changelog but did they intentionally make you have to research to tailor? I don't mind if so but it surprised me.

I know it's recent because I have a tailoring bench in a new save that I started 1 version ago, but can't build another.

No, he just increased the research cost of complex clothing, which you already had (you're not tribal). Your points into it remain unchanged, so now they are no longer sufficient and you need to finish up researching conplex clothing. Same happened with microelectronics i think, which now contains the comms console.

Ser Kitteh

So are smokepop belts suppose to have qualities? Very strange considering the one-use nature of the item.

Moisture pump doesn't show radius, same problem that hydroponics have. Also, it takes FOREVER for the radius to expand. Like literal years. Can it be cut in half or something?

Lech

Getting scratched on naked brutality is instant death sentance, its like 90% to get infection and with self tending and super immunity trait pawn still dies. Even if first mad animal won't kill my pawn, second surely will.

ison

Quote from: Sirinox on July 04, 2018, 10:09:11 AM
Regarding using bedrolls in caravans, seems like it does not take into account bedroll comfort buff (along with comfort thoughts) yet, which would be nice.

Hmm, the comfort need was frozen (at 50%) for caravan members because there was nothing which could affect it. But now that we have bedrolls I think we can make it affect colonists again.